• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dirtbound Hack-N-Tap problem installing

You know what that might make sense on an XJ with a low pinion D30 front. Anyone else agree?

If the donor for the shaft had the raised emblem, it would be a 00-01 with a low pinion d30. Stands to reason that since the yoke is lower it will be farther from the tcase and the shaft would be longer. Get a different shaft I guess or get that one shortened. Or take the opportunity to move the axle back an inch or so.

The front driveshafts are the same for both the HP D30 & LP D30.
What you haven't stated is what T-case you are running?

Well Ben and I just wrapped up installing the SYE and were so proud of our work. Only took 3 hours to tap the shit. We went for a test drive and It didn't work. The vibrations are pretty close if not worse then before with just a t-case drop. Any ideas from the crowd on this one. We are stumped....

Did you shim the pinion back up?

You want it pointing at the t-case now.

We did not as we didnt think it was necessary at this lif height having the SYE. We can get some shims if that is what we need at this point. Any suggestions on what degree to get on a 99 with a 3.5" lift and 8.25 rear axle?

You need to shim the rear and point the pinion directly towards the SYE. When I did my 91 with the RE 3.5 springs, I started with the 4 degree but it was still too low and had to buy the 6 degree to get it right. I bought the Warrior shims from Quadratec both times. Some of this will also depend on your static load, so make sure you test with the cargo area empty and with normal loading.

Also you should remove the front driveshaft to eliminate it as a source of your vibes when testing.

Ben, I have a '99 auto, 231, 8.25 chry. It sits around 4" over stock height.

I too have the Dirtbound sye and my choices were to cut down the yoke or cut 1" from the ds, I cut the driveshaft 1" shorter and rebuilt the shaft.

The jeep was pretty near undriveable without shimming for a better pinion angle,, I used a 4* steel shim to acheive a -1 degree pinion angle. I ended up with slight vibes but after pulling the front ds the vibes dissapeared. I rebuilt the front shaft and all is good now, no vibes. JJ

Even slightly worn u-joints can cause vibrations. Also, the driveshaft gets shorter as the suspension droops in the rear and it gets longer as the springs compress. If the springs don't allow it to droop much then you might be OK.

Why would you want to go with a hack n tap tp begin with? They are weak and prone to breaking. Man up and install a Advanced Adapters SYE. Takes about 2 hours to do and they dont break under load as the hack n taps tend to do when running big tires.

Hack n taps were a cheap way to install a slip yoke drive shaft.

Because this jeep isn't destined for huge tires. She gets me back and forth to school when the weather isn't good enough to ride. She will never see bigger then 33s and is from ohio. So she makes it though the rest of school and we will see what I can afford after that.

But thanks so much for all the advice guys. Just when I though I was close to finishing the suspension, Looks like I have more work to do.

Back