• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

diff cover that will out survive the XJ..

cracker said:
Welds aren't as good?
DSCF0005.jpg

This is the blue Torch one:

FileHandler.ashx

I disagree. The blue torch beads look a lot better. The other one looks like it was a little too hot but what do I know :dunno: Regardless, neither of them are going to break.

The blue torch fab is 1/4" plate on the cover and 3/8 on the ring and they PROMISED me I wouldn't break it and if I did they would give me a new one.

My regular welder was out sick that day, Not!

We do run them a little hotter than you would on 1/4" plate but as any welder can tell you, Looks are not necessarily strength, now don't get me wrong, I think BTF stuff is welded just fine, however our covers and everything else we make has a lifetime guarantee, everything! You will Not break one of our covers, period!

The person that welded this one came to me after 15 years working on the docks putting together very large ships where every weld is tested and usually greater than 1" thick, after that he worked building very expensive custom mountain bikes, very fine TIG work. I think my other 2 welders can weld prettier and extremely strong but I trust his welds more, experience counts. He is the guy I want to have welded my rollcage!

BTW, all of our covers are available in kit form and the 3 most applicable to an XJ have 1/2" rings as of now.

Dan Fredrickson

Last edited by a moderator:
Gravel Maker said:
BTW, all of our covers are available in kit form and the 3 most applicable to an XJ have 1/2" rings as of now.
what are you using to punch that out? or are you flame cutting that? Lazer table?

dont tell me CNC plasma?

it would take quite a punch to handle 1/2"...

also - why did you feel that 1/2" was needed? didnt you post up over in another thread that material thickness wasnt as importiant as material choice?

ah - here it is -
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=763691&postcount=16

and what happened to signing up as a vendor before pimping your stuff?

Gravel Maker said:
Sorry Terry, I will sign up as a vendor as soon as I get more XJ specific parts available.

XJ_ranger said:
what are you using to punch that out? or are you flame cutting that? Lazer table?

dont tell me CNC plasma?

it would take quite a punch to handle 1/2"...

also - why did you feel that 1/2" was needed? didnt you post up over in another thread that material thickness wasnt as importiant as material choice?

ah - here it is -
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=763691&postcount=16

and what happened to signing up as a vendor before pimping your stuff?

First off, not plasma, not punched.....laser, not a laser table, this machine has a 10' x 20' bed and can cut faster than you can see, it is speedy.....

And we needed to use 1/2" after 1 attempts using 3/8" for the ring, The D30 and D35 use space too well, we couldn't use a 3/8" cover with the 3/8" ring, there would be no place for the boltholes without very expensive machining. Using 1/2" for the ring was how we gained enough clearance for the 3/8" thickness of the cover. The 8.25 got 1/2" so that they would match. The D44, D60, & the 14 Bolt all have 3/8" rings.

For the material choice we always use A50 steel plate for thetensile strength (50,000lbs) and the density which results in superior abrasion resistance.

I was waiting to sign up as a vendor until I had enough products for the XJ, that is why I bought an XJ & an MJ 2 months ago. We really haven't had enough free time to do anything specific for them yet but we make 160 different parts and most of them will work on an XJ so I will sign on now. You will not hear from me until they complete the process, maybe a couple of days.

BTW, I bought an XJ for my father in law 3 years ago when he retired but he won't let me play with it......

Gravel Maker said:
My regular welder was out sick that day, Not!

We do run them a little hotter than you would on 1/4" plate but as any welder can tell you, Looks are not necessarily strength, now don't get me wrong, I think BTF stuff is welded just fine, however our covers and everything else we make has a lifetime guarantee, everything! You will Not break one of our covers, period!

The person that welded this one came to me after 15 years working on the docks putting together very large ships where every weld is tested and usually greater than 1" thick, after that he worked building very expensive custom mountain bikes, very fine TIG work. I think my other 2 welders can weld prettier and extremely strong but I trust his welds more, experience counts. He is the guy I want to have welded my rollcage!

Dan Fredrickson
ruffstuffspecialties

Wow. I love it when a vendor speaks up. Thank you.

I will ask our Sponsorship Coordinator to touch base with you and introduce himself.

Very expensive mountain bikes? Ooh I got to know this name. In that area it might have been WTB or Ibis? I,BTW, work in the bicycle industry.

I thought it was a little hot but I did say I would not worry about the unit failing. I have had the opportunity (or curse) of hanging out with too many professional welders in the last year so I (even though I myself am inept) have become a admirer of decent welds.

Want to make a shaved Dana 60 cover for me? :laugh2:

RalphXJ said:
Rock Crusher just lowered their prices! $59.95 for a D30, 35, 44, 8.8!!

http://rockcrusher-usa.com/

diff_cover.jpg

Well they may be ok for a diff cover. But if I had to choose one of the covers out there to shield myself from a anything larger then a 40cal, I would never pick a cast piece if the plate option was there. Same goes for this case (no pun intended), why pay so close to plate for cast? how think is the cast rockcrusher covers? Again I am sure its more then enough for my web wheeling or speed bump passes, but if theres better for not much mroe $ why not just step up?

PS this is from there warranty card..
Rockcrusher Mfg. warrants this product with a Lifetime Warranty to the original consumer,
against any defects resulting from workmanship or materials. This warranty
applies when the product is used under normal conditions for the purpose for which
the product is designed, and does not apply to normal wear and tear or damage
related to alteration, accident, misuse, improper care or repair, or negligence.

Seems WAY to iffy for me....​

ROBERTK said:
Well they may be ok for a diff cover. But if I had to choose one of the covers out there to shield myself from a anything larger then a 40cal, I would never pick a cast piece if the plate option was there. Same goes for this case (no pun intended), why pay so close to plate for cast? how think is the cast rockcrusher covers? Again I am sure its more then enough for my web wheeling or speed bump passes, but if theres better for not much mroe $ why not just step up?

PS this is from there warranty card..
Rockcrusher Mfg. warrants this product with a Lifetime Warranty to the original consumer,
against any defects resulting from workmanship or materials. This warranty
applies when the product is used under normal conditions for the purpose for which
the product is designed, and does not apply to normal wear and tear or damage
related to alteration, accident, misuse, improper care or repair, or negligence.

Seems WAY to iffy for me....​

Go to any comp. out there and you will see almost half the rigs running the Rock Crusher covers. They will hold up to any amount of amuse you can throw at them!

They are as stronge, if not stronger then the Crane covers.

Last edited:
My question is that I'm running a D44 front and rear. The drain hole is different for the two configurations. Do you offer both?

take acceleration x mass of a what 7lbs sledge and then of a 3mph 4000lbs xj. you tell me which hits harder.

I dont care if it took 1,000 hits! I feel very safe in saying that 5,000 hits, equaly to the prolly 5-7 it took to kill that cover, would not puncture the plate cover. And I would also feel safe in saying that I would Bet good money that in 7-10 hits of that sledge I could kill that cast cover equal to the one shown.

IntrepidXJ said:
how heavy is a sledge hammer compared to a vehicle :)
Give me the sledge and ANY of these covers. ;)

well if you were local I would Gladly let you come on over and take as many whacks at the ruffstuff cover I have. Untill you started to really pound away the concrete under the cover. I feel Overly safe in the fact that this cover will not bend with anyone behind any resonable sledge, period. Not to mention its not going to fail entirely and shatter / crumble like other cast items out there.

We have just joined NAXJA as a vender so I can now speak freely on these.

Our covers are made exclusively from A50 Plate, not Mild steel or "high strength steel" (what the heck is that anyway). The cover itself is a true 3/8" thick and the Chrysler 8.25, D30, & D35 all use a 1/2" ring, it was the only way we could fit the 3/8" cover and still get at the bolts!

These cost more to make than the guys that make them from 1/4" and they charge much more, you can make that decision yourself, go for the pretty sticker or go for the beef!

ruffstuff_full_banner_web.gif

Dan Fredrickson

Back