• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did I screw up?

karter74

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I have an 87 Laredo that I just rebuilt back to stock specs except I put in the Crane Cams 753901 in it. I knew I would lose some low end power, but now the whole car just seems slower than it was before. What can I do to regain some low end torque, or atleast make the car seem faster. Granted, everything is absolutely stock, except the cam (and lifters/springs etc.) Would an exhaust system help a bunch and a cone filter?

You've added a cam that should help the engine breathe but it's still choked off by the stock intake and exhaust systems. Upgrade these areas and your Jeep will feel like a very different animal. Here's what I suggest:

1. Rusty's intake with 6"x9" K&N, and build a FIPK-style heatshield around it.
2. Jeepersn'Creepers 60mm bored HO TB. You'll need to adapt your TPS to it and you'll need Joe Attardo's TB spacer/adapter for the Renix manifold, but it'll work wonders compared to your 51mm Renix TB.

http://www.rockmodified.com/2003/april/TB/tb_perf.htm

3. Rusty's high-flow cat & Flowmaster cat-back.
4. Mandrel-bent 2.25" downpipe custom made by a muffler shop.

Dr Dyno is right, your engine has to breath if you want to make some horses. The bored out throttle body and new air intake will definitely help. I’d suggest a Banks header, they really help. I have one on my XJ and two buddies have them on their TJs, there is a noticeable difference in power. All of theses mods are cumulative; a cam, air intake, bored throttle body or header alone will not give you much of a return. Doing them in combination with each other will give you a lot more power.

I was wondering, instead of going throught the hassle of converting a HO throttle body to my engine, wouldn't it be more economical for me just to bore out the Renix one? Also, if I get the 2.25" downpipe, would you recommend I go with a 2.5" exhaust from the cat back?

Back