• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit Locker(s) Front + Rear?

I put a Detroit in the back and a True Trac in the front of my 2000 DD, it does see a lot of trail use and some pretty serious winters. Life with a locker in a short vehicle is definetly not for the timid. Would I recomend it? No. Would I do it again, yes, but I love the reaction I get from the passengers side when the locker causes that butt-wiggle effect. :)
It's noisy too, not loud, but lots of clicks and clacks in the parking lot. Once in awhile it'll sound like you broke a shaft, but it's just the locker unloading.
Bottom line, life with a locker is a commitment, kinda like getting married. Once you have it you're stuck with it unless you want to spend more money to get rid of it.

As for the Tru Track in the front, it's totally invisible and street friendly, even on ice.

I hear the Detroit is loud like you describe but my rear grizzly never makes a peep aside from very quiet ratcheting when coasting around tight turns. Never unloads or anything. Even in the front it is quiet in 4wd

Detroit F&R in my 87xj with a D30 & D44. Both are quiet. There is some backlash issues at freeway speed getting on and off the gas. Other than that, perfect.

Thanks for all that.

Allow me to ask another question.

I didn't think about how you could have a locker in the front axle and have it invisible due to the front not being under power. I would assume to do this, you would need locking hubs, or else the tires spinning would spin the gears causing the driveshaft to spin. Is this correct? Would a locker be invisible in the front with a non-locking hub?

Also, i think i vaguely know what a locking hub is, but could someone explain it a little bit? I know on my dads pickup when you turn the hub to the lock position it allows the truck to go into 4wd.

What does turning this little switch actually do? Is there a difference between the axle shafts?

The locker is invisible when no power is applied to it. Meaning that in 2wd the locker will not be locked and therefore be invisible. Without manual hubs.

Thanks for all that.

Allow me to ask another question.

I didn't think about how you could have a locker in the front axle and have it invisible due to the front not being under power. I would assume to do this, you would need locking hubs, or else the tires spinning would spin the gears causing the driveshaft to spin. Is this correct? Would a locker be invisible in the front with a non-locking hub?

Also, i think i vaguely know what a locking hub is, but could someone explain it a little bit? I know on my dads pickup when you turn the hub to the lock position it allows the truck to go into 4wd.

What does turning this little switch actually do? Is there a difference between the axle shafts?
Turning the hub lock lever engages splines inside the hub that connect the outside of the hub housing with the axleshaft inside locking it up.

I loved my rear detroit at first. However over time daily driving the rig, I've begun to hate it. Like KTM mentioned, the backlash is annoying and I'm sure isn't exactly good on the rest of the driveline. It's also worth noting that I've found a couple shops that do not reccomend detroits for daily drivers simply due to the amount of backlash. Larger tires also makes the amount of backlash felt by the driver even greater.

Driving in the snow is more of a controled slide as well. It sounds like fun at first, but it quickly becomes annoyingly white knuckled.

Quite literally if no one comes out with an E locker for the 8.25 in the next month or so, I'll be selling a kidney on the black market to get an ARB.

http://www.differentials.com/new-products/eaton-elocker

Looks like Eaton calls the C8.25 a "Chrysler 8.375" C-clip axle" because I don't know of another chrysler 29 and 27 spline axle that went into Jeeps. Also, e-lockers are just about the same price as an ARB, so why is everyone talking about a huge price difference between the two.

And I love driving my Cherokee on the street with a no-slip in the rear axle. Especially in the snow. I have an automatic trans, but I think the jeep is much more predictable with traction in the rear than if it was open. I put over 40k street miles on the XJ with 4.56s and the rear autolocker, never had a problem with it.

Well after thinking about this here is my plan. Can someone critique it?

Front - Aussie Lunchbox Locker.

Rear - Leave open for now - when wallet allows put selectable in rear the same time i re-gear.

ran a aussie rear lockrite frt im my last dd, loved it had zero issues driving it no matter the weather, besides some light clicking with the aussie in turs you couldnt tell it was there, the lockrite in the frt was quiet, im just not sold price wise on selectables

ran a aussie rear lockrite frt im my last dd, loved it had zero issues driving it no matter the weather, besides some light clicking with the aussie in turs you couldnt tell it was there, the lockrite in the frt was quiet, im just not sold price wise on selectables

Is there any other lunchbox lockers besides Aussie? I'm going to research the topic more tomorrow I just hear everyone talking about Aussie lunchbox lockers.

Is a lockrite a lunchbox? You're saying you had no problems running two automatic lockers in the front and rear on a dd?

Sorry for all the questions - just don't like to impulse buy.

Spartan and lockrite.

Lockrite is the original, spartan is the lost recent.

Spartans are the easiest to install.

Spartan and lockrite.

Lockrite is the original, spartan is the lost recent.

Spartans are the easiest to install.

Those are all lunchbox lockers correct? I'm sorry for being lazy and not looking it up but I'm on my phone.

What about strength? Spartans stronger than Aussie? Which would you put in your own rig?

Is there any other lunchbox lockers besides Aussie? I'm going to research the topic more tomorrow I just hear everyone talking about Aussie lunchbox lockers.

Is a lockrite a lunchbox? You're saying you had no problems running two automatic lockers in the front and rear on a dd?

Sorry for all the questions - just don't like to impulse buy.
had zero problems with either, im not sold on the spartans couple friends have had some install issues due to quality control with them, new trail rig had a lockrite frt and spool rear, lockrite is awsome, kinda wish i had one in the rear

Those are all lunchbox lockers correct? I'm sorry for being lazy and not looking it up but I'm on my phone.

What about strength? Spartans stronger than Aussie? Which would you put in your own rig?

yes. they are all lunchboxes.

I wouldn't put a lunchbox in my rig, I don't like them.

as far as strength goes, they are all stronger than the carrier they are in. the spartan comes with a hardened cross pin, which is good, except its still stronger than the carrier it is in.

it is the easiest to install because of the holes they drill to hold the pins in. I have done 4 or 5 of them in other people's rigs, they were easy enough to do.

had zero problems with either, im not sold on the spartans couple friends have had some install issues due to quality control with them, new trail rig had a lockrite frt and spool rear, lockrite is awsome, kinda wish i had one in the rear

what issues did they have with quality control?

the lockright in my front d60 is my second lockright and so far so good. the first was in a d30 and it took quite a bit of abuse on 35's. definitely outlasted several chromoly shafts. for 240 bucks, it was a no brainer for me when i built the 60. it has taken quite a few clutch dumps on 37's

yes. they are all lunchboxes.

I wouldn't put a lunchbox in my rig, I don't like them.

as far as strength goes, they are all stronger than the carrier they are in. the spartan comes with a hardened cross pin, which is good, except its still stronger than the carrier it is in.

it is the easiest to install because of the holes they drill to hold the pins in. I have done 4 or 5 of them in other people's rigs, they were easy enough to do.

what issues did they have with quality control?
Pins not fitting in the holes and having to be filed down, there's a reason yukon stuff is cheaper I wouldn't buy any of there lockers. With that being said I run there shafts and spool in my rear 60

Well as I stated earlier this is still a dd and doesn't wheel too much. I just want more traction. I think for my purposes a lunchbox front would be perfect for the occasionsional times that ill actually need a locker for more traction.

Would anyone agree with that or do you think I'm just trying to convince myself here? What about shafts? Think i would be fine on stock shafts or would I need alloy shafts?

Once it goes to a full time wheeler ill start looking into full carrier lockers and the sorts. I'm debating between lock right and aussie at the moment. Think ill go aussie though.

Back