• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detroit EZ-Locker Woes

JeepinAaron

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having some problems with a Detroit EZ-Locker. First off this is in my '99 TJ and not my XJ. I'm not on a TJ forum and figure this problem would apply to XJ's just the same.

The specs are a 99 TJ with a 2.5L and a D35 running 33" MT/R's. I installed the locker, per directions, it was very easy. I purchased a locker for the front D30 but havent installed that yet because of the problems in the rear.

After installing the locker, I made sure it was functioning properly. holding one tire and spinning the other results in racheting of the locker. Low speed driving is fine, turning in the parking lot resulted in no tire churping and the locker had a faint ratchet noise. HOWEVER, driving at highway speeds resulted in the locker engaging and disengaging, which created jerking and popping, even while driving straight. This happens from 20-40mph and I havent had a chance to get faster than that. When the locker is engaging/disengaging during driving it jerks me to whatever side is engaging/disengaging.

I checked my air pressure, I'm running 35psi all around. I rotated my tires to ensure that I didnt have a bent wheel that might be causing it. I dont think my axle shafts are bent, but they could be. I tore the diff apart again, took out the locker, inspected it...since it is popping at highway speed there is already some wear. I checked the springs, they were installed correctly.

Any ideas? It could be the locker, but the dern thing is so simple I dont see how it could be messed up. I am thinking bent axle housing. How could i check for this??

-Aaron
(yea the same aaron with an XJ that has no oil pressure, its been a fun week)

That is what i figured.

Has people had any luck with other lunch-box style lockers. The aussie??

-Aaron

Powerman said:
You are screwed. Been there, done that twice. Happy reading.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=83436

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=84949

Seriously, that is all I know. Could be a bent axle, but bottom line is there is nothing you can do to get it to work. Cut your losses and go a different route. Hope that helps. Will be happy to answer any specific ???

i just put a lock rite in (powertrax) and i love it, went it as snappy as any other lunchbox, i can hear it ratchet if i listen really carefully, rides really good on the highway (already driven about 6 highway hours on it)...havent heard of any problems with them! Good luck

JeepinAaron said:
That is what i figured.

Has people had any luck with other lunch-box style lockers. The aussie??

-Aaron

Like I said, the shop I went to liked powertrax. I know people that have Aussie's are real happy with them. I would be inclined to go that route. I went to a full case locker because I didn't want anymore problems. It is possible that it is a bent axle/housing or your carrier. The lunchboxes are very dependent on these thing. I'm not even against lunchbox locker. Tons of people run them without any problems, I'm just not one of them.

If it is a problem with your setup, then you might have the same problem with another brand, maybe not. You could go full case, but I know that is a whole other can of worms. I actually was going to go Aussie, but they were out. When I added up the cost of my EZ and my new diff cover, it was only a couple of hundred more for my selectable with a diff cover. I know decisions are tuff. Lots of factors.

Use new thrust washers that are a little thicker. I had the same problem with my D44. Sent the e-z locker back, took 4 months to get my money back. Went with the lock right, have had no problems. Put an aussie in the f-in-laws D35 have had no problems with it.

opracer315 said:
Use new thrust washers that are a little thicker. I had the same problem with my D44. Sent the e-z locker back, took 4 months to get my money back. Went with the lock right, have had no problems. Put an aussie in the f-in-laws D35 have had no problems with it.

I went through all that too. I used new washers, but when I mic'ed them there wasn't much difference. I shimmed it too per Detroit to no avail. The cross shaft cams the gears together. The gears not being close enough is not the problem. There is some sort of misalignment to the clutch face that lets them slip. That is my understanding. All I know is that after trying all the trick, both of mine still didn't work. Not installing the thrust washers is a legitamate question though. That would cause problems if you did not have them in. So are they in?

Back