• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DetoursUSA

Mark (Detours) is still finishing up moving to his new location in Kentucky.

He's hoping to be up and running by Feb 1.

His stuff is certainly worth the wait, as well as his great customer service.

jeepme said:
I have the Detours slimline bumper and carrier and really like it a lot. No squeaks no sag and very stout. The only thing I think it needs is better support for the tire carrier.If you are putting a 35" tire on the carrier it wobbles if you hit a bump just right on at highway speeds, but other than that it is a great set up for the price.

Bumper004.jpg

Do you have to swing the tire carrier 180 degree before you can open the back hatch?

lol 2007, wow this is an old post. Didn't notice... :anon:

I'll add, that he is up and running and taking orders. (August 2008)

Last edited:
I'm expecting my Edge Cut SLS (w/tire carrier, receiver, and lights) to arrive any day now. He's running a little behind though. His move to Kentucky required him to change steel suppliers and the first batch of parts the new company sent him included a few misshaped pieces. Rather than try to make them work and put out a sub par product, he waited for new pieces to be cut and delivered before finishing production of my bumper. I don't mind waiting a few extra days for it to be done right.

Mark is also great in the customer service department, when I placed my order we were on the phone for a good part of an hour discussing design, fitment, and install tips. This included a few breaks for me to take measurements off my rig and him off his jig. We then looked at pictures on different websites to make sure we were on the same page.

He's happy to customize and I'm getting my end caps cut a little different than he has done before. Usually he makes them follow either the lines of the factory flares, Bushwacker flares, or no flares. I'm planning on keeping my factory flares with my 33's so I'm getting mine made with the top edge of the end cap matching the 97+ factory flares, and the bottom edge cut back to the seam to allow room for my tires. Can't wait to see how it turns out! I'll post again later with the overall results...

I agree Mark makes a good product ( I have his sliders and rear bumper), and to fined a tire carrier to meet your needs can be a challange.
When I started my build about two months ago I was looking for a set up and there are lots out there but I did not fine what I was looking for
So what I did is take one of Marks bumper and some trailer parts ($60.00) could have been less, and some scrap metal and made what I needed.
To mount the wheel sindle cut trough 2 layers of 1/8 and then 2 layers of 2 1/4 material and burned it on. The 1/4 is the back bone of the bumper, also had to space the bumper out an extra 2". And it swings away for the curb which I think is safer, the tire carrier will hold up to a 33" wheel and tire, could carry two 5 gal gas cans. So far so good.
XJ001.jpg

Hmmm, interesting what you did there... Don't know if I could bring myself to hack into a brand new bumper like that. I like that you can carry a can, I don't like that you're blocking one of the reverse lights as Mark's tire carrier design specifically aims to avoid that. Is that little t-handle pin between the license plate and the gas can what holds the tire carrier in place? Any rattling and/or shaking with the stock sized tire on there?

I'm going to figure a way to get a jerry can on mine. Probably mount it sideways next to the tire.

When I was looking at other bumpers with tire carriers, I noticed how they blocked the backup lights. I didn't like it.

Thanks for your feed back fyrfytr, I just could not find exactly what I was looking for. I'm not usualy one to hack things up but there was very little hacking real just one 1 3/4 hole on the one side went much quicker then I had expected, and then the extending of the bumper mounts. All done with normal hand power tools and an ARC welder.
Yes that T handle is the lock, its the lock off of one of my old TOY pick tail gates, and no rattels yet as it is rubber dampend. I agree with you the blocked back up light is an issue and it will be addressed is the next few weeks.

Thanks

Came home from work this morning to find my new bumper sitting on my front porch!!!:clap:

The box is torn up pretty good...:dunno:

Hmmm, the angle of that end cap looks a little funny... :(

My bumper is ruined!!! :cry: :bawl: :tears:

UPS managed to fold one of the end caps inwards about 45 degrees. This is despite its sturdy construction and the thick shipping support brace bolted to the back of it. I tried to pull it back into position a little and there is no way you can bend that piece with your bare hands. They must have literally thrown it out of the truck and onto it's end. :gonnablow

Sounds like UPS is buying you a new bumper! Sucks to be them!

Ah, yes, that too :(

FitchVA said:
sucks to be the guy that's been waiting for his bumper to only have it arrive damaged and has to go BACK to waiting for the bumper to be rebuilt.

You got that right... :eye:

Apparently being thrown out of the truck should not have been a serious problem. Mark's guessing this was probably done with a forklift or other heavy equipment. If you look at the not-so-bent end, you can see he actually bolts in steel support struts to keep this from happening.

Here's the UPS f-up in question... :mad:

fyrfytr1717 said:
Came home from work this morning to find my new bumper sitting on my front porch!!!:clap:

The box is torn up pretty good...:dunno:

Hmmm, the angle of that end cap looks a little funny... :(

My bumper is ruined!!! :cry: :bawl: :tears:

UPS managed to fold one of the end caps inwards about 45 degrees. This is despite its sturdy construction and the thick shipping support brace bolted to the back of it. I tried to pull it back into position a little and there is no way you can bend that piece with your bare hands. They must have literally thrown it out of the truck and onto it's end. :gonnablow

No picture :(

That sucks that it was shipping damage, I have ordered from Mark before and he packages his stuff very good. My sliders/stiffeners took about a half an hour to unwrap.

Did you take pictures of the damaged package and the bumper?
Every shipment I receive that look questionable, I take several pictures of it just in case.
It sucks when you are in full anticipation of some goods only to receive them damaged.

Mudderoy said:
No picture :(

Did my picture not show up? It should be at the end of my last post. Shows up on my computer...

As for hitch rating, there is no advertised rating. XJ's are not ideal tow vehicles in the first place (especially when lifted) so that was not really the intended purpose for the receiver. It's primary purpose is for use as a tow point so I imagine it would do well with a multi-mount winch as well. I'd ask Mark to be sure though. When towing, tongue weight becomes a major factor (again, especially when lifted). Just use common sense. Small utility trailers, WaveRunner trailers, dirt bike trailers, aluminum fishing boats and the like should be fine. Just don't go trying to pull a toy hauler or a yacht with it. I'd put it on par with a Class II though the bumper mounts on both vertical and horizontal planes like a Class III.

techno1154 said:
Did you take pictures of the damaged package and the bumper?
Every shipment I receive that look questionable, I take several pictures of it just in case.
It sucks when you are in full anticipation of some goods only to receive them damaged.

Lots of pictures! :photo: :photo: :photo:

fyrfytr1717 said:
Did my picture not show up? It should be at the end of my last post. Shows up on my computer...
when i pasted the link to the picture in my browser, it asks me for my windows live login info. looks like they're private from the general public

Back