• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Detours Tail Bone

Ever since I got my tailbone installed and kinda messed up on the bumper hole drilling (Mark, I got the templates, thanks), I've been thinking of a way to build a bumper using the kit. My one thought was to create a sheetmetal bumper similar to the stock piece, but with thicker steel. Once I eventually trim the lower rear quarter panels, I'd continue the bumper around on the sides and tie it into the shackle mounts for strength.

I think when I ever get a welder and get decent skills, I'll start modifying the tailbone myself and make something that I like instead of ditching it and getting a whole new bumper. The mounting system is pure beef, I know that stuff isn't going anywhere.

Hey Mark, since you've been following this thread, thought I'd post up a question here. Do you think the Tailbone will be able to support a 33" tire on alloy wheel (no beadlock) and a 60" Hi Lift?

Hey Mark, since you've been following this thread, thought I'd post up a question here. Do you think the Tailbone will be able to support a 33" tire on alloy wheel (no beadlock) and a 60" Hi Lift?

Actually, I'm attempting to make time available with forums again, I've been absent for sometime due to work & life.......NAXJA is one of the few I'm making time for due to it's quality content and users.

That said, obviously the 33" tire is fine.
Hi~Jacks, I have an entirerly different view on that than most manufacturers, it's first hand and it's results can be very unpleasant. The Hi~Lift would need to be mounted vertically due to our short throw swing arm on the carrier, with that its very possible to catch tree limbs.(depending on your region) A 60" HL would sit way over the roof line, as does a 48. I dont care much for the extra wght. back there either, not to mention stress. Thirdly, a Hi~Lift is not intended to be stored outside the vehical without proper protection, here is a qoute from one of their 'own' ads:

Hi-Lift Jack® Neoprene Jack Cover

Product Details
It is very important to keep the Hi-Lift® lifting mechanism clean, free from dirt and mud, and well lubricated. The neoprene zip–on cover greatly reduces the amount of dirt and mud that can accumulate in the working mechanism of the Hi-Lift® while mounted on the exterior of vehicles. This helps to keep a properly lubricated Hi-Lift® protected from mud and dirt that can keep the Hi-Lift® from operating properly when needed.

After personally using a Hi~Lift in extremely poor weather for an extraction, the jack became a very dangerous pcs of equipment over a period of time, the jack was stored inside the vehical prior to use. I'm not sure if the extraction would have even been possible if it had been stored outside the the vehical prior. (The Neoprene Jack Cover is a new item)

I'm sure there are some out there that will say otherwise, but if you choose to store your Hi~Lift outside your rig, invest in that new Neoprene Cover for it, as mine sits right now, I would'nt trust it to jack up much of anything.......safely.

Back