• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

decided

tgile512

NAXJA Forum User
ok i have decided to go with a rustys 4.5" kit on my 99 xj. i was debating whether to get that or the 3". i really want to do it right so after i added everything to a 3" kit (control arms, ect..) it would be the same if not more than the 4.5" kit. so i am doing it right and i am going to get the A/A SYE & Tom wood CV but i wanted to know if i needed anything else (UCA? shims?) also i have a 1" t-case drop on my xj now, do i need to take that off if i get the SYE? i have searched but nothing really came up definitive. any help would be great

You should't need the T-case drop with the SYE but you may have to get some shims to get the rear pinion pointing up strait at the driveshaft to keep driveline vibes away.

I had Rusty's 4.5" kit and really liked it. A few things I would recommend adding:
1) Adjustable Upper Control arms,
2)HD Trac-bar Drop Bracket
3) Extended Brake lines.

I know that bumps up the cost a good bit, but I really think it's worth it to do it right the first time. Good choice on getting the SYE first, that'll help as well.

Good luck and enjoy!

Chris

how much would adj. control arms help as opposed to no adjustable ones. i do not plan on going higher so would the adj. ones just make the ride better, or do they do more? and can i just buy new bolts and just take the t-case spacers out and everything is fine with that?

From a TJ prospective [I've done about 5 or 6 in the last 4 months] the adj upper and lowers made a big difference in being able to move that front D30 around to exactly where you want it. On the TJ's the rears were a requirement but a couple of guys decided to skip the fronts and we ended up doing them a few weeks later...
After doing 2 without and then adding them about a month later they are well worth the cost to do at the same time you do the lift so you're not duplicating work and the ride and steering are much better...
I gotta figure the XJ is about the same...

I agree. I don't think Adjustables are mandatory, but longer UCA's are highly recommended at least. Adjustables just make it that much easier to get it settled right and can make the install a bit easier.

Hope that helps

Chris

Back