• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death Wobble

Ball joints, wheel bearings, and worn control arm mounts can all cause this, as well as wheels being out of balance (bent rim, soft spots in tires, or even just tires that sat for a long time).

Also poorly worn tires from bad shocks, worn steering box, lack of caster (which is often overlooked by alignment shops).

How much lift? Who's control arms and trackbar?

3inch lift and rustys track bar stock lower control arms and I have one new hub assembly on there and could my front tires having probably 40 percent more tread cause it?

DW is not usually caused by one single item on the list below, it occurs when a combination of weak, damaged, failed, or out of specification items on the list are present. Tire issues will only initiate DW, and are not the sole cause of DW.

Entire list of everything that can cause death wobble:

- Loose, worn, or incorrectly torqued suspension nuts/bolts
- Front alignment out of spec
- Loose track bar
- Worn track bar bushing
- Worn track bar end
- Worn track bar bolt hole on axle
- Needing an adjustable track bar
- Bad bushings/joints in control arms
- Damaged control arms or control arm mounts
- Worn/damaged shocks
- Worn/damaged tie rod ends
- Bad U Joint
- Bad ball joint
- Loose track bar frame mount
- Worn track bar frame mount
- Steering box looseness
- Driveshaft(s) not balanced
- Bad front hub assembly
- Bent axle housing

lack of caster (which is often overlooked by alignment shops).

I don't believe it's caster unless something is way out of whack! I have been running just 2* for about 15yrs do to my LP diff. I just rebuilt the bushings do to years of abuse, the uppers where all worn out but I've never had DW!

Back