• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death Wobble, everything is tight

there was something else wrong in the suspension, the SS covered it up.

either that or the 'defective' steering stabilizer was bound up somehow and created the DW... but that is unlikely.

Bound up? You May be correct.
But there was no sticking/Jerking/anything odd feeling happening, only the DW; It did drive like the new vehicle it was right up until the Stabilizer puked on my garage floor.
I did watch them replace the stabilizer & that is all they did, I watched them work on it so I am sure there was nothing else repaired.

You say you changed the lower control arms. Did you chech your caster angle afterwards? If you have too little positive caster, it will make DW easier to happen. Stock spec is 6.5-7.5 degrees positive. I had DW after swapping my front axle. I did a toe only alignment at first, but got DW, took it back, re did the alignment including adjusting caster. Mine was at 4 degrees, I got it up to 6 degrees, and I havent had DW since.

toe will do it, as will caster.
the only time i get DW is when i bend my tie rod. a little adjustment and it's good again.
i dont run a steering stabilizer, no need for it on my jeep at least.

If a shimey shock is not needed then why does the factory install one?

Steering stabilizers are there to deal with bump steer.

Bad tires can do it as well.

Worn out shocks can cause DW as well. If one tire bonces off the ground and the other doesn't they start fighting each other.

Last edited:
Back