• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death Wobble, everything is tight

98cherokeedriver

NAXJA Forum User
I know another death wobble thead, I searched too, a lot. So my 98 with 2" lift on 247/70R16 tires with WJ brake/knuckle swap has developed DW. The DW just developed after I changed out my cheep poly/JJ adjustable style LCA that were shot with Savvy offroad aluminum LCA w/ JJ at both ends. I set the length to 16" eye-to-eye and checked the alignment myself. Here is what is new within the last year: wheels, tires, LCAs, UCA bushings, TB, TB bracket (RE), TB joints (poly/JJ), lower ball joints, wheel bearings. I have inspected everything for play and tightness. Everything is tight, TREs, bolts, etc. The steering box has a slight amount of play in it, say 10-15* at the steering wheel, 1-2", if that. The steering has never felt better. I don't think the tires are out of balance as it doesn't vibrate at highways speeds.

I'm stumped.

I was having a similar issue, added the C-Rok steering box plate to correct it. The aluminum sleeves for the steering box bolts were powder, which gave it just enough wiggle to put everything else out when I'd hit the right bump on the highway.

yeah i meant the spacer, been a few years.

In reading and personal experience, the trackbar is the most common cause. Whether it be the bracket or a joint. I would have someone turn the wheel back and forth for you while you lay under the front and look for play in something

I double checked all of my joints and everything is in great condition except the steering box. When you turn the wheel left and right, the sector shaft deflects side to side. Could this contribute to DW? BTW- I'm not running a steering dampener, but I might put one back on as a band aid it I can't find the root of my problem.

If you're positive everything else is tight, then sounds like you found the culprit. Not sure how a steering dampener will act as a band-aid for this though, unless you connect it between the drag link and frame, instead of the axle housing and tie rod (not even sure if it can be properly mounted this way).

Is your steering stableizer still good? Mine looked fine but was shot and was giving me death wobble real bad.
Uh, no. Stabilizers can mask DW, won't cause it.

X 2.

I ran without a stabilizer for a couple weeks with no DW. DW comes from slop in the hardware.

Check your tires , I had the same issue as you a few weeks ago. I rotated and balanced. My tires it had got worse. I tried on my buddy's tires and the issue went away. So the next day I bought a new set of KM2's. And I have been issue free since

I had a all BRAND NEW frontend under my jeep, had DW bad.Nothing over 30 MPH.Reset my tow and it is gone. My one jeep is just at 1/16th in and my other jeep is at 1/8th out.

Time to recheck your numbers in front.

check all ur rod ends. that means pull them off and try and move by hand. with being 2" lift ur prone to dw and probly wont get rid of but u can get it down to slight shimy. being in the 2-3.5 range is hard to elminate dw

an easy test is to toe your jeep out a bit, like 1/8" out instead of in. if the DW goes away that tells you it is in the trackbar.

if it doesn't, then look elsewhere.

steering box slop shouldn't give you DW, but it is possible. I would rebuild or replace the box anyway.

Uh, no. Stabilizers can mask DW, won't cause it.

Everyone says this but I had an experience years ago that proved otherwise to me.
Back on 2002 I picked up a Brand new from the dealer 2002 Grand Cherokee V8, (It had 4 Miles on the ODO) Drove it home 10 miles & parked it in the Garage overnight, Next morning there was a Puddle of green crap on the garage floor, I drove it right back to the dealer, On the way there the first little pothole I hit & the front end starts violently shaking, I Say WTF!, I had to come to a complete stop for it to stop shaking, My first experience with DW.
The dealer took it right in & Immediately replaced the DEFECTIVE steering stabilizer, he said that once in a while it happens By Mine was the Lowest Mile truck he saw it happen to (The truck had like 25miles on it when I brought it in). In the 68k I drove the truck before I sold it; it never happened again & I never did anything else to the front end except replace the brake pads @ 40K miles. The reason I sold it was, It was a great truck but got terrible MPGs!

Everyone says this but I had an experience years ago that proved otherwise to me.
Back on 2002 I picked up a Brand new from the dealer 2002 Grand Cherokee V8, (It had 4 Miles on the ODO) Drove it home 10 miles & parked it in the Garage overnight, Next morning there was a Puddle of green crap on the garage floor, I drove it right back to the dealer, On the way there the first little pothole I hit & the front end starts violently shaking, I Say WTF!, I had to come to a complete stop for it to stop shaking, My first experience with DW.
The dealer took it right in & Immediately replaced the DEFECTIVE steering stabilizer, he said that once in a while it happens By Mine was the Lowest Mile truck he saw it happen to (The truck had like 25miles on it when I brought it in). In the 68k I drove the truck before I sold it; it never happened again & I never did anything else to the front end except replace the brake pads @ 40K miles. The reason I sold it was, It was a great truck but got terrible MPGs!

there was something else wrong in the suspension, the SS covered it up.

either that or the 'defective' steering stabilizer was bound up somehow and created the DW... but that is unlikely.

If a shimey shock is not needed then why does the factory install one?

If a shimey shock is not needed then why does the factory install one?

so you you dont spill that carmel machiatto when you hit a pothole doing 50 in a 45 and cause an accident.

btw its spelled shimmy. ;)

Back