• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 60 not just broke, it broke-broke!

I didn't hear the "you can't" part, cause sean was yelling "throttle jockey!"

that break was stupid.

it definitly didn't have to happen.

I'm gonna keep running 30 splines, and just stick with web wheeling.

B, if you really think about it there is only one thing to concider:

splines

or

tires

:D

hinkley

Did Hinkley's taunting "Beezil...Oh Beeeezil..." as he swung the winch cable back and forth, have anything to do with it? :D

Jes

jes, I cannot wait until we get back together on trail again....

I'd like to see hinkley taunt me then....

my winch cable or yours chicken leg, it don't matta' none.

Jes said:
Did Hinkley's taunting "Beezil...Oh Beeeezil..." as he swung the winch cable back and forth, have anything to do with it? :D

Jes

I wouldn't ever do such a thing! :rolleyes:

hinkley

If you are talking about the rear, then yes it is posible. They just drill out the end of the flange a little more to make clearance for 35 pline axles. it is a real easy upgrade and not very expensive either. Hell you have access to everything to drill out the end so for you it is just the cost of axles and a locker.

Did it happen on the lower part, or the upper part?

I think I was either working my winch sitting in my rig, or else clear up above getting my rig out of the way, I can't remember exactly.

Edit: Wait, you know what...... I do remember hearing it, I don't know what I'm thinking. I remember thinking that he had prolly snapped a UJoint or something, that's right. It happened about half way up.

Go 14 Bolt or go home

Actually I like the idea of big 9" bearings & ends on a 60 chunk, with the 35spl SF alloys & spool.

Maybe when y'all start paying me a salary, I can get on with it :rolleyes:

In the meantime I bneedin a URF Racing steering box bolt eliminator kit. Full Floater Boxes don't worky without one of those.

Jes said:
He wedgied it in the crack line on the right.

Jes

I thought he went a little left of the crack line? I guess that is sort of right in the middle...

standard.jpg

Regardless..... I remember hearing it now.

Re: Go 14 Bolt or go home

woody said:

In the meantime I bneedin a URF Racing steering box bolt eliminator kit. Full Floater Boxes don't worky without one of those.

Talk to CRASH, we're beta testing that kit right now! ;)
From the looks of the Tellico pics Danno put up it looks like you came out with a door handle eliminator kit. :D

Jes

Carjacker Eliminators...

That's the new Bling mod Yo! Shaved door handles bees ta keeps the Rampant Ho's off my sheeps.

Last year while y'all were whooping it up in Moab, I rode a new trail in Oak Ridge VA with Hunter...we hit every other damn tree along the way with those door handles. I dunno what sick SOBs cut the lane, but they weren't thinking XJ when they did it. The cat behind us had an old non-power steer CJ5 with 32s, he was Jes' size when he entered, his arms looked like GRNTs when we got back to camp.

I'd say that offing was a year overdue. LMAO it still opens from the inside :)

And with that, The Official Thread Hijack light is lit!

C-ROK said:

The way I would do it would be to get a thick walled piece of tube, probably 3" OD and turn it down to match the ID of the 60 tube and the ID of the 9 inch tube stubs. This gives you a near certain alignment and a stronger joint at the interface point too. Weld it all up; maybe even do some rosettes on the axle tubes through to the sleeve inside.

I would be very wary of using this method. Unless you run a jig rod and pucks through the carrier bearings and through the ends, you will NOT get the ends aligned perfectly. You will likely end up with a nastly wobble that will kill your hub and carrier bearings. I did a lot of research on this before I did the 14B ends on my 9" and I did it right with the help of a local guy (CJ66Dean on PBB).

SeanP

nice breaks. Both are brittle fracture, and the first one was a crack propagation that finally failed. The spline break was a pure brittle fracture break, no signs of cracks just from looking at the pics. Where the splines twisted at all?

mad maXJ said:

Very good info in that thread, it pretty much covers it.

One thing to consider is that some are building trail only rigs (always trailered) and some will drive to the trail. A different level of safety is required with each. Personally, I don't think .20" spindle wall thickness is enough for the long haul, but it might work in most cases depending on the usage. When I was looking into it, Hicks 4x4 said they would do it, but Jason at Tri-County Gear said that he wouldn't. Jason Bunch said the spindle will be too thin.

The info about some D60's and 14 bolts having a 2.25" inner bearing diameter makes a lot of sense. That makes the inner spindle thickness .325" and the outer thickness .20", definitely better than .20" all the way through.

Back