• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 vs 8.25

While this is generally true, if there is a broken piece of the axle shaft stuck in the locker/spider gear, it is almost impossible to remove it without removing the diff cover.

If it is really stuck, just pull the other side and pound it out with a long punch, it is very simple and not impossible.

Well you might be able to just grab another long-sided tube and swap it on to the short side. But stock they are 3" difference, so you'd go from 1.5" too narrow to 1.5" too wide... Yah it's annoying. The different lengths is one of the things keeping me away from 8.8.

that would be incorrect. A explorer 8.8 is 1.5" shorter overall, not 1.5" per side. I dont remember how much different the shafts are, but once the axle is mounted, theres only 3/4" difference between the front D30 and the rear 8.8. It really isnt noticeable, even when your looking for it.

Well you might be able to just grab another long-sided tube and swap it on to the short side. But stock they are 3" difference, so you'd go from 1.5" too narrow to 1.5" too wide...

why wouldnt you just move your perches over to split the difference?

Well you might be able to just grab another long-sided tube and swap it on to the short side. But stock they are 3" difference, so you'd go from 1.5" too narrow to 1.5" too wide... Yah it's annoying. The different lengths is one of the things keeping me away from 8.8.

Most axles have different length shafts. Except a 9". You can get a 5x4.5 9" custom shafts but that's more expensive than carrying 2 spare shafts.

The 8.8 is a great axle, beefy and cheap. I don't see needing to carry 2 spares as something that would scare me away.

Some 3/4" spacers fix it. I ran it staock explorer width and never had any issues, and my frame is wider than the XJ's.

Most axles have different length shafts. Except a 9". You can get a 5x4.5 9" custom shafts but that's more expensive than carrying 2 spare shafts.

The 8.8 is a great axle, beefy and cheap. I don't see needing to carry 2 spares as something that would scare me away.

I beat on mine with a lunchbox mini spool in it and had no issues with that stock shafts running heavy bias ply swampers. Leave the spares on the trailer.

Some 3/4" spacers fix it. I ran it staock explorer width and never had any issues, and my frame is wider than the XJ's.

I beat on mine with a lunchbox mini spool in it and had no issues with that stock shafts running heavy bias ply swampers. Leave the spares on the trailer.

8.8's are so common spares are plentiful and frankly most rear axles do not have identical sides.

if you break a c clip axle w/disks , the disks will hold it in ( not for that long), but you risk having the c clip drop into your R/P and getting chewed up .
xj D44, great axle up to 35's parts are cheap and available EVERYWHERE , XJ d44 has huge rear drums compared to the 8 1/4 , its a non c clip semi floater ,its bolt in ,and has lots of aftermarket support
I have a 8 1/4 in my 99 right now thats getting tossed . i have the 44 from my old truck that is completely rebuilt w aussie locker , trussed , diff cover new bearings ect ect .. if i did not have the 44 i would just build the 8 1/4 .
if i was to choose .. 44 all the way . i just am not a fan of the c clip in any way

Back