• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 44 swap. . . wheel size

witt

NAXJA Forum User
so ive got that cool lookin Hp 44 sittin in my side yard now. . .
no its not the uber cool camper edition
its an older one thats just the 1 piece tube...

so. . . my question...
i JUST BOUGHT some 37's and they require my to use 15" wheels. . .
can i use 15" wheels with my Dana 44? or am i screwed royally?

yes i need to shorten it, do hi-steer, mabye hydro assist (that would be nice with 37's)

so um ya . . . 15" wheels. . . will they fit with the brakes?

thanks
- Witt

i've running the 5on5.5 1/2 ton running gear and it clears 15" steel wheels just fine

1/2 ton brakes??
I think mine came with 3/4 ton stuff (not a problem to go to 1/2 since i'd be changing knuckles anyways). . .
although it'd be nice to be able to run 3/4 ton even tho i'd have to swap M/C's
anyone put 15" wheels on 3/4 hardware?

witt said:
1/2 ton brakes??
I think mine came with 3/4 ton stuff (not a problem to go to 1/2 since i'd be changing knuckles anyways). . .
although it'd be nice to be able to run 3/4 ton even tho i'd have to swap M/C's
anyone put 15" wheels on 3/4 hardware?

You have to grind the shit out of the calipers, and it barely clears then (alum wheels probably wont clear). It's not a good idea.

I have that front end sitting my driveway.

If yours is 8 lug then it's 3/4 ton otherwise the 5 lug is the 1/2 ton. Yes, you can use your 15" wheels with 3/4 ton 8 lug stuff, but you'll have to grind down your calipers a bit. This has been done by lots of people, JeepFreak21 used a 8 lug dana 44/60 combo with 15" rims. Check on Pirate4x4 as well as here, lots of people want to run the 15" rims because the tires flex better and have a lower carrying capacity (are less stiff than the 16.5 and 17" rimed tires). I have seen quite a few people on Pirate selling their 37x12.50x17 MTRs for 37x12.50x15's.

And a full width Camper Special hp44 is the bomb. :laugh3:

Troy

Measure the inside of the wheel and see. 1/2ton will definatly work, 3/4 I think will also, not 1 ton though. I think 1 tons ran 16 or 16.5inch wheels.

here is your dilemna. most highsteer knuckles use a Chevy lug pattern. Crane and parts mike.
Use Chevy knuckles, with Chevy short spindles and chevy calipers and brake standoffs, then use ford hubs and brakes.
so keep that in mind.
BTW Crane high clearance is working on a Ford high steer knuckle.

Rawbrown said:
here is your dilemna. most highsteer knuckles use a Chevy lug pattern. Crane and parts mike.
Use Chevy knuckles, with Chevy short spindles and chevy calipers and brake standoffs, then use ford hubs and brakes.
so keep that in mind.
BTW Crane high clearance is working on a Ford high steer knuckle.

Dedenbear should be shipping their Ford version this winter. They were even talking about machining the knuckles to correct Ford's f***ed up caster.

I'm running a 78 Bronco HP44 with factory disc brakes. It came with 15's High steer means changing the knuckles and that is where the clearance issues come up.

Back