• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 5 speed manual question

truckeejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
So It looks like all of these sported 3.07 gears, correct? My diff may be getting toast. I know common sentiment is to not put a cent into these. But it's a DD with only 29" tires, really just snowy mountain roads and fishing trips etc., so I'm looking at replacement options. Is an LS an option? TruTrac has good reviews but as I understand it I'd have to change my front as well. Not sure if there is even an LS out there that works without doing the front? So maybe my options are limited if I don't want to do front ratios too. New rear axle would have same problem I think.

Do I have this right? Any thoughts appreciated, thanks much-

There is no reason you can't install a traction device in one axle and not the other. For snowy condtions, a rear traction device is a better choice.

Rear axle Limited Slip was a factory option. A used axle with LS will need a rebuild.

A rear Lock Right style lunchbox locker is also an easy DIY job and low cost option.

Last edited:
The issue you're running up against is the Dana 35 has a "carrier break" at 3.55; 3.27 and lower gears take one carrier, 3.55 and up take another carrier. You can get an OEM TracLok limited-slip differential for the lower gear ratios, but that's pretty much your only option.

The Chrysler 8.25 is also used in XJs, is available with 3.07 gears and the carrier break is at 2.72, so most-any aftermarket option will work for you...

But, never assume anything; verify your ratio before going too far down a rabbit hole.

Do you have ABS? And do you want to keep it?

If "yes" to both, then you are pretty much stuck with the D35 (unless you want to go to the effort to swap in a Ford 8.8, modifying it by grinding off every other tooth for the ABS reluctor).

If "no" to either, then you could swap in a Chrysler 8.25 with 3.07 gears. In fact, I have one that you could have for free, but it is in Idaho. However, in a few months it could make it to the intersection of hwy 80 and the 95. Driveshaft lengths are a bit different, so you might need to do something about that, unless I can find and correctly identify my old one.

Thanks all. Ya I don't think I need LS up front really for what I do. I just didn't see a rear LS out there that matched with the existing front gearing. So JM, you are saying that for the Dana35 3.07, there's really only 1 LS option, and thats the OEM TrakLok..correct?

NO, I do not have ABS. So an 8.25 would be great. Actually been looking around locally. Anak...hmmmm... thats not too far from Truckee...sweet offer man. In decent shape? Hmmm..Wheels turning in my head..(but not in my Jeep)

I am correct that all the 5 speed manuals came with the 3.07 gearing, yes? I konw it's not ideal for ppl who really wheel. I'm sure there is some reasoning behind that for the 5 speed though.

Yes, 3.07 and 5 speed went together. I suspect to keep the EPA people happy. A stick might enable someone to have too much fun, so they had to do something to prevent that from happening.

Yes, the axle I have is in good shape. It was replaced as part of re-gearing to 4.10s. Because some of us are bad sheep, intent on having more fun than allowed by those who know what's best for us.

It has been living outside, largely covered up. I would pull the diff cover and the drums and check things out before committing to loading it up for you. You would have to be able to meet me as I went through there. I would be in the middle of a long drive. I think I generally get there somewhere around 1 or 2 pm. I would call you from Winnemucca to give you a more definite sense of my timing.

I am correct that all the 5 speed manuals came with the 3.07 gearing, yes? I konw it's not ideal for ppl who really wheel. I'm sure there is some reasoning behind that for the 5 speed though.

I've often heard rumors of ones that didn't come with 3.07's but I have never actually seen one.

When I bought my 01, the PO had swapped in automatic axles with 3.55's. That was a great combo for distance driving.

Yeah, 5-speed and the 4.0 came with 3.07. Decent mileage but poor acceleration. You might consider grabbing some used axles from the junkyard to regear. Plenty of 3.55 and 4.11s out there that'll bolt right in.

I think I'd look into the 3.55 axle from an auto as has been suggested. I can't confirm it, but my '88 Comanche with 5 spd did well. I am not sure what gearing it actually had. I did give them to a neighbor for his MJ, as he broke the axle. He told me it had a lot more pep. Also, you'd be geared to run 31's if you wanted to.

I think I'd look into the 3.55 axle from an auto as has been suggested. I can't confirm it, but my '88 Comanche with 5 spd did well. I am not sure what gearing it actually had. I did give them to a neighbor for his MJ, as he broke the axle. He told me it had a lot more pep. Also, you'd be geared to run 31's if you wanted to.

I think 3.55 would be a good match for the stick. My 89 MJ started with a manual and 3.07s and got 21-22 mpg. Along the way I swapped in 4.10s, an automatic, 32s, and about 6" of lift which works well. Mileage is only 16-18 now, though.

I think 3.55 would be a good match for the stick. My 89 MJ started with a manual and 3.07s and got 21-22 mpg. Along the way I swapped in 4.10s, an automatic, 32s, and about 6" of lift which works well. Mileage is only 16-18 now, though.

I remember being on the 235's R15's. I was getting 25 mpg. But them factored in the gearing effect on the odometer. So, 23 mpg. Your 4.10 and 32 is about the right gearing.

Ya, I'm still getting about 21-23 MPG, which is pretty good. It's not a wheeler it's a DD so the gearing is ok with me for now, until I get better DD and it becomes my toy. I don't really want to deal with swapping out the front gearing right now either.

So you swapped out the stick for an automatic in the MJ? Nice. Out of Curiousity, how hard is it to put a manual 5 speed into and automatic XJ? Cuz I love the 5 speed. But I can never find them for sale anymore. If I could swap out an auto it might make my search easier. My current XJ has a *spot* or 2 of rust... ;)

Ya, I'm still getting about 21-23 MPG, which is pretty good. It's not a wheeler it's a DD so the gearing is ok with me for now, until I get better DD and it becomes my toy. I don't really want to deal with swapping out the front gearing right now either.

So you swapped out the stick for an automatic in the MJ? Nice. Out of Curiousity, how hard is it to put a manual 5 speed into and automatic XJ? Cuz I love the 5 speed. But I can never find them for sale anymore. If I could swap out an auto it might make my search easier. My current XJ has a *spot* or 2 of rust... ;)

No, I think the Previous owner swapped a D35 out of an automatic, so 3.55 gears. Mine is/was a 2wd. Swapping in a NV3550.

Anak, when-abouts do you think you'd be driving thru my area? I'm warming up to this idea.. If I can find loaner vehicle until then...

I don't know for sure.

The bummer is I just went through there three weeks ago.

The next most likely trip would be around New Year's.

. . .
Curiousity, how hard is it to put a manual 5 speed into and automatic XJ? Cuz I love the 5 speed. But I can never find them for sale anymore. If I could swap out an auto it might make my search easier. My current XJ has a *spot* or 2 of rust... ;)

Someone I know who did this ('cos his wife won't drive an auto &, afaik, only 2.5's & diesels came with 5-speeds in the UK) said the most difficult bit was moving the X-member forward because, very much to his surprise, there were no alternative holes in the frame.

The swap was somewhat involuntary. The pilot bearing in the crank seized and killed the input bearing in the manual. Kinda ticked too, since I had rebuilt the manual a few years earlier. I happened to have an auto sitting in the garage that I picked up for $50 and was planning to resell.

Not sure going the other direction would be less or more work. You don't have to add the missing wiring for the trans, but then you have to deal with the clutch too. Spline counts on the xfer case might matter depending on the years. Manual is about an inch shorter than the automatic which might require a driveshaft swap (in my case it helped balanced out since I lifted too). Having a pull-n-save junkyard nearby is almost mandatory for finding all the little trim pieces and odds&ends.

Back