• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question regarding axle seals on a Dana 30

speedphreak

NAXJA Forum User
Have an 01, and was replacing my front wheel bearings/hubs. Noticed some lubricant in the tubes, so decided to go ahead and replace the axle seals while I had the axles out. Punched the old seals out ,and there is a rubber ring/seal that came out as part of the process that is not on/included in the new seals. One of those grey rubber rings tore. Is this a part/component of the old factory seals that is unneeded, or do I need something in addition to the new seals? Appreciate any help/info.

Pictures would help.

Lacking pictures I am going to guess that what you are looking at is the silicone used to seal the axle tubes to the cast center, a vestige left over from when Dana assembled the complete housing.

I second Anak, although on my 1997 the silicone was red/orange in color. In that case, there is no need for replacement. Just remove it.

The two gentlemen above nailed it. Oem squeeze out.
I’ve had these pseudo o rings look almost like a perfect o ring… it’s amazing.

Back