• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 replacement options... what would you do

Ok

got the axle
got a guy doing my gears

because i'm lazy and I don't feel like doing ball joints or a knuckle swap can I use the 89 unit bearings/rotors/calipers on the 99 knuckles? If not, I'll bite the bullet and order some new ball joints.

Ok, instead of debating the timeliness of 3 weeks, can we get back on topic? Can I use the 99 knuckles with the 89 unit bearings and rotors?

It's a crap shoot trying to save used ball joints anyway once they're pressed in. I usually end up destroying the old ones when I'm pressing them out.

Why not just get new ball joints for the 99 D30, slap on your 89 knuckles if you're hell bent on keeping your new unit bearings and rotors, and call it a day?

Save the old 99 D30 knuckles, and when it comes time for new unit bearings/brakes, upgrade to the 99 stuff. I'm not sure if it's any better, but at least you won't play the "guess that year" when you go to the parts store.

Ok, instead of debating the timeliness of 3 weeks, can we get back on topic? Can I use the 99 knuckles with the 89 unit bearings and rotors?

you shouldn't have an issue. i know someone who did the very same thing, and to my knowledge it all swapped right over. just keep the calipers, unit bearings, and rotors together and they SHOULD all swap just fine. please research that article though.

After looking at this article your 89 unit bearings will not work on the 99 axle!

unless I swap to the 89 knuckles, which I think I'm doing considering the 99 didn't come with rotors or calipers.

Knuckles and calipers need to go together.

Rotors and hubs need to go together.

You'll use the 99 knuckles and calipers with your new 89 hubs and rotors. Its easy work to swap your new balljoints out of the existing housing and into the new one - you just installed them so they wont be seized.

I can lend you the balljoint tools, but you have to come to me this time. ;)

Knuckles and calipers need to go together.

Rotors and hubs need to go together.

You'll use the 99 knuckles and calipers with your new 89 hubs and rotors. Its easy work to swap your new balljoints out of the existing housing and into the new one - you just installed them so they wont be seized.

I can lend you the balljoint tools, but you have to come to me this time. ;)

Thanks Cal

Sending PM

what about a 97 hp d30 going into a 2000 cherokee with a LP, if i buy 2000 year unit bearings will i be able to use my 2000 calipers and rotors?

what about a 97 hp d30 going into a 2000 cherokee with a LP, if i buy 2000 year unit bearings will i be able to use my 2000 calipers and rotors?

If you use your 2000 knuckles too.

Knuckles + calipers = match
Unit bearings + Rotors = match

Actually, in this case I think 97 and 00 use the same caliper and knuckle anyways, just a different unit bearing, so I don't think it will matter all around. Just use the 2000 unit bearings and rotors and be happy.

If you use your 2000 knuckles too.

Knuckles + calipers = match
Unit bearings + Rotors = match

Actually, in this case I think 97 and 00 use the same caliper and knuckle anyways, just a different unit bearing, so I don't think it will matter all around. Just use the 2000 unit bearings and rotors and be happy.

What about '94 calipers and knuckles, and unit bearings and rotors from a '91?

:confused1

ya i just read 90 plus uses the same knuckle so im good! phew! lol

Man, I don't think I would use the used gears in your new set up. Why take the chance? I would pay the extra and get some fresh gears. The old ones could have worn to a pattern that might be different in the new set up.

Man, I don't think I would use the used gears in your new set up. Why take the chance? I would pay the extra and get some fresh gears. The old ones could have worn to a pattern that might be different in the new set up.

he got the axle that has the same gearing as his rear so there is no need to change

he got the axle that has the same gearing as his rear so there is no need to change

No, I am changing my gears. I am using the used ones. It will be fine.

Back