• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 contact pattern help!!!

Shims, dams, slingers; Just different names. If they move the pinion head, it all adds up to a total pinion shim depth.

What was the total of the original shims with the stock gear set? The new set should not be very far (usually no more than .003-.005") from the old.

What I'm reading is the pinion is way too close to the ring gear. If you are at .080" total with that last picture, I'd like to see a pattern test with .065".

Try to be consistent with the backlash when setting pinion depth. Moving .005" shim will change the backlash about .0025".

Last edited:
Also... I'm with IH392... Don't worry about torquing the pinion nut every time. Simply tighten it down without the preload shims to create enough drag to get a nice contact pattern in the paint. Using a wrench on the ring gear bolts to turn it a full turn one direction then back the other. Don't rock the ring gear to obtain the pattern.

the old setup was a .060 slinger and a .020 baffle and no shims. That's it. and as for the .065 I can try that when I get out of work tonightthe first set of pictures would have been a total shim depth of.050 and the second set of picks was total depth of .086 and third set of picks was .080. As for the shims that came with the kit they suck they range from .010 to .020 that's it there is no real fine tunning with this kit. so later tonight I will try the 65 and see how that looks you guys have that a huge help and I thank you again for that

By preload I meant carrier bearing preload.It has to be enough to get a good read on the gear pattern. Pinion preload as said above.

I've done a bit of gear work and some won't leave the patterns you see in tech manuals.It depends on the gear cutting equipment,some will leavea short pattern,some a longer pattern. You're real close.

Where in NY are you?

Last edited:
OK yes I miss understood I'm not sure what the preload should be for the carrier I do know its tight to put in I have to tap in with a dead blow hammer to fully seat carrier assembly. I might have to reuse the thinner stock carrier shims to add some preload. Is that a good idea or only use new shims? I live near Utica NY. I recently came into offroading a lot due to finally meeting people around here who wheel often. Soi decided to not sell the jeep and finish building it. It sits on 12" lift and 35" MTS axles are the current project. Oh and current shims for carrier are .045 on ring gear side and .048 on opposite side if that helps.

Last edited:
OK I so what I will do next is leave pinion depth shims as is and try and get BL to .007-.009 and make carrier preload a little tighter. Then go from there. If that doesn't work I will take some pinion depth out. I'll post picks as I go. All of you guys are a huge help. I have been stuck for about 2 weeks and in just a few days you have gotten me so much further I really appreciate it. After the HP 30 is the Dana 44. I have all the parts but wanted to start with the 30 because it was already apart.

Don't worry about carrier preload until the very last assembly. No need to have to force the carrier in and out as you are making adjustments. If you are needing a DB hammer to get the carrier to seat, you are close enough.

Ok so here is the current set up .030 pinion shims backlash is .007-.009 to me it doesnt look much different then .030 and .005-.007 backlash.
030shim007-009blcoast_zpsb862ecc9.jpg
coast
030shim007-009bldrive_zps4181c814.jpg
drive

I agree, I would just go back to .005"-.007" BL. I can't really recommend any other suggestions, I think this pattern should work. See if anyone else has any suggestions, I still consider myself an amateur at this, but all the axles i've put together run nice and quiet.

according to the books, that's an acceptable pattern. As many as I have done I have never seen one that wasn't centered, but that means nothing, really.

Call it good :thumbup:

OK so should I leave it as is or tighten up backlash back down a little bit or drop from .030 to maybe .028-.027 at pinion depth

OK sounds good to me. And no break in yet still have the Dana 44 to build and the jeep is under 8-9" of snow. And its 12 degrees out. It can wait lol

Last edited:
Back