• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Daihatsu Rocky?

Jess

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know anything about them? I have found a good deal on a 91. I have been told there is some bottom end noise and am having some problems sourcing parts. I know the engine is a Toyota 1.6 SOHC. Is there another vehicle that was sold in the states with the same engine I could find in my local salvage yard?

Rock Auto shows a water pump and caliper for it. I don't think it is a good sign.

I just went to look at it and it looks a little rough. The idle is smooth, but there is a definate rod knock. The engine is missing the timing cover and the rear window has been replaced with plexi-glass...which is now broken. For a 91 it is in okay shape, but if I can't find parts it is no good to me.

Sounds like a good candidate for a drivetrain swap... who cares about body parts?

not much room under the hood and I know nothing about what tranny and t-case are in it. I have thought about the drivetrain swap, but I already have a trail rig....what I need right now is another DD.

not much room under the hood and I know nothing about what tranny and t-case are in it. I have thought about the drivetrain swap, but I already have a trail rig....what I need right now is another DD.

Stay away from that thing then, you would be better off with a Geo or a Suzuki. Even a Montero/Raider would be better.

does it have a buy back guarantee?

...if you don't like it, or something goes wrong, they will buy it back...

not very common... but the guy i bought my engine from for the Willys, said if i didn't like it, or it didn't run good for me, he'd buy it back...

Definitely not a good candidate for a DD unless you intend on swapping out all of the major components for more common ones or you have a personal graveyard of Rockys.

I paid $100 for one in '01 and it was running. I'd like to say it was a "deal", but it would be a lie. We welded the rear and used it to run around the farm until it died. Then we blew it up.

Back