• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 front with 5 on 4.5" bolt pattern

It would also be cool to tell people I'm running a D34. :gee:

Keep in mind (if I remember correctly) that you would need to do a complete knuckle swap to finish off the 44 after doing the 4.5" pattern dodge stuff. I don't believe you can just bolt on the spindle out.

That means that you would spend time and/or money to get the high steering on a knuckle that isn't in high demand and would only be using it for a short time. Then you'll have to do the brakes, spindles, knuckles, bearings, and millwork on the knuckles all over again.

I bet if you count up all of the front axles that were used in BOTW since the beginning the 30 would be at the top of the list. Check the gears for anything abnormal, double check the axles and the joints, and then bring some spares.

Other than that just keep plugging away at the 44. You might get it done and you might not, but you will have it done good when you do. It's just an opinion, but I've spent way to much time doing stuff "good enough for now" and then regretting it for two years until it's fixed. :)

Lincoln said:
Keep in mind (if I remember correctly) that you would need to do a complete knuckle swap to finish off the 44 after doing the 4.5" pattern dodge stuff. I don't believe you can just bolt on the spindle out.

That means that you would spend time and/or money to get the high steering on a knuckle that isn't in high demand and would only be using it for a short time. Then you'll have to do the brakes, spindles, knuckles, bearings, and millwork on the knuckles all over again.

I bet if you count up all of the front axles that were used in BOTW since the beginning the 30 would be at the top of the list. Check the gears for anything abnormal, double check the axles and the joints, and then bring some spares.

Other than that just keep plugging away at the 44. You might get it done and you might not, but you will have it done good when you do. It's just an opinion, but I've spent way to much time doing stuff "good enough for now" and then regretting it for two years until it's fixed. :)
Oh, I wouldn't be using the Dodge stuff. Since posting this I've realized how much easier/stronger it would be adapt the 30 unit bearings and outers than use the Dodge stuff if I end up going that route.
Like you said, I'll keep plugging away. A lot of work (and $) to do before I have to deal with this decision. Hell, it may only be half done by BOTW anyway and the whole issue will be moot.

Or hit lotto and end up with F&R Hi9s :D

Back