• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 weakpoints

I guess I need to do some junk yard hunting, now whats better the ford or the D44?:dunno:

x*BIGASSALEX*j said:
I guess I need to do some junk yard hunting, now whats better the ford or the D44?:dunno:
D44 direct bolt in (if it came from a cherokee), 8.8 needs some mods to fit. Strength is comparable, more parts available for D44.

UNCC,

You are welcome to the tag line "stay small, stay open, stay on the porch" and to make up stickers if you want. Its not like its copy written or anything.

x*BIGASSALEX*j
I dont know anything about Chryco 8.25's. I dumped my 27 spline unit before I mini-spooled the rear for a D44 that I got from a San Diego Pick-n-Pull for $125 a couple years ago.

If you are serious about going to Moab (I want to go there some day, dont we all) you should run a better axle. There are some super steep climbs there that you could get seriously hurt or killed on if the axle failed at the wrong time.

Options:
I have never run an 8.25 so listen to they guys that run ON ROCKS with theirs. The 29 spline is pretty easy to find but (in my web wheeling experience) its still a C-clip rear so you really should go to discs just for the protection of not spitting out the axle if the clip pops which they can do on rocks when the inside of the tire is heavily loaded. I have never run one but I dont hear a lot of complaints about it.

The Dana 44 is where you really want to be. Spend a day each weekend for the next month walking the Pick-n-Pulls around Colorado Springs and Denver. I bet they guys in the Colorado Chapter can help here, post up and ask them to help you find one. You shouldnt need to change out the axles with 32's or 33's.

Personally I am a big fan of strong axles (D30 chromo & D44) with smaller tires (31's), a little lift (4.5") and lots of armor. I drag more than most but I dont break drive train parts and I have the freedom to use the throttle more than most when I really need it (now I am cursed for sure).

What j99xj said about being low and small tired for off camber is really true. I have seen guys abandon their rigs and walk away or take bypasses off the hill, on seriously off camber stuff (Pathfinders & Land Rovers mostly) because they were tall and softly sprung on big tires with out enough bump stop.

Happy axle hunting.

John

nosigma said:
Spend a day each weekend for the next month walking the Pick-n-Pulls around Colorado Springs and Denver.

What j99xj said about being low and small tired for off camber is really true. I have seen guys abandon their rigs and walk away or take bypasses off the hill, on seriously off camber stuff (Pathfinders & Land Rovers mostly) because they were tall and softly sprung on big tires with out enough bump stop.

Happy axle hunting.

John
There is a really good boneyard in south Colorado Springs on highway 85/87. It's called A1 auto recyclers right next to Fountain creek. I got my throttle body (which I bored) for like 10 bucks there sensors and all. I think the prices on their rear ends are very reasonable, like under 100 bucks. I've seen lots of Dana 35s and 8.25s but the only Dana 44s I've seen there were under Grand Wagoneers and such.

My 29s hold their own. Lol.

33s are 4 inches taller than my 29s, however they only provide 2 inches of ground clearence, which my mind is not worth the risk of breakage with a D35.

But, the best dollar for dollar mod I have ever done, are sway bar disconnects. Nothing I have done has improved my Jeep off road more than that. Period.

I find it funny when I see people who dropped a few grand on a lift and I still see their sway bar connected.

Let's just make this easier and list the positives of the d35;

1- low profile and lightweight (if you can consider this a plus)
2- plentiful spares (many people pretty much give them away)
3- Un-crowded trails ( people find out you have a 35 and suddenly there are very few people who want to wheel in your group)

... thats all I've got

That said, If I were in you position, I would look for a chryco 8.25; preferably 29 spline. They are plentiful and cheap, and as long as you don't want to go deeper than 4.56 gears it will serve your needs well.

good luck and HTH!

j99xj said:
Perhaps I've been lucky not to break mine because I wheel at like 10,000 feet above sea level. (30% power loss)

I'm suprised your wheels even turn with the A/C on at 10,000 ft....
No wonder you havent broken that 35 *yet* muahahaha...

saki669 said:
I'm suprised your wheels even turn with the A/C on at 10,000 ft....
No wonder you havent broken that 35 *yet* muahahaha...
With my intake/exhaust stuff I've done I'm guessing I have about 210 hp, and 245 lb-ft of torque at the flywheel at sea level.

So at 10,000 feet I have about 147 hp and 172 lb-ft flywheel. The a/c probably takes 5 hp/lb-ft to run, so thats reduced to 142 hp and 167 lb-ft.

Amazingly, my 4.0 at 10,000 feet still makes more hp and torque than a 2.5 4 banger at sea level.

And yes, my Dana 35 is well preserved in these conditions and the way I drive it. (automatic transmission helps a lot on steep slopes)

x*BIGASSALEX*j said:
I understand what everybody is saying, so I will carry some extra shafts, even some junkyard carries. But with speaking with others I have been told I will be OK, but If it breaks on something small and stupid, I would definatley consider a D44 or 8.8.

Well I'll try it for a few rides, need to see how it works out before I hit ur TDS 2008 and Moab in 2008. But its not a DD its only a trail rig.

Wounded- nestime we go out hopefully you can jin us, and see if you were right.

And for that saty on the porch comment, man that was Hillarious! :laugh:

I hope to hit the trails as soon as this 5 speed to auto swap is done. I will keep an eye out for 44's in my area for you.

Wounded XJ said:
I hope to hit the trails as soon as this 5 speed to auto swap is done. I will keep an eye out for 44's in my area for you.

Thanks alote.....
You said it perfectly nosigma. Just be patient alex, I found mine, then i found another one for Matus. They show up around our junkyards quite often aparently.
:peace:

Well Im flying out to Milwaukee on business this weekend, but it needs to get done, I have cousins coming from Cali and want to wheel AZ (voted #1 for wheeling by 4wheel mag) and I need to be ready.

So Snarky.....If you find it get it, money is not a problem (same price you found matus and your for), it is a well thought investment, and need to do it, to start the building of a great trail rig. If you want we can meet up the following week and hit yard after yard until we find one, I know there is some up in North Phoenix by Lake Pleaseant.

Back