• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 gear pattern check please

You didn't tell us you were installing a used gear set...

From the Yukon install booklet (and I've found it to be true myself...it makes sense). Torque input flexes and distorts the pattern after running it, so you need to look at the side that didn't apply a "torque distorted" pattern.

USED GEAR SETS:
When setting up a used ring and pinion, concentrate only on the pattern created on the coast side of the ring gear teeth. Pay little attention to the driver's side. This is true for most used gear sets, although both the coast and drive sides should be considered in some instances.

You didn't tell us you were installing a used gear set...

From the Yukon install booklet (and I've found it to be true myself...it makes sense). Torque input flexes and distorts the pattern after running it, so you need to look at the side that didn't apply a "torque distorted" pattern.

I think we all overlooked it cause he mentioned it in his first post.....opps.

jeepring1_zps341ca5c0.jpg

This could be potentially your best coast pattern. Do you recall your pinion depth shim?

I didn't write it down, but I'm pretty sure I remember what it was, looks like ill go back to that point and get everything within spec. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help.

you guys are a bunch of nit-picky ass monkeys

The first pattern he posted was plenty good. i would have run that all day long

dana 30's, 35's 44's are notorious for opening up on backlash. I always set for a wee bit tighter backlash and work on centering the pattern from topland to bottom.

when making a pattern, always "push" or rotate the ring "into" the pinion.

don't rotate the pinion to the ringgear.

Back