• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting some of the roof

Here's a better pic of the soft top fitment - course going back on rotation at work, for a week then out of town for a week on vacation. So this is about as far as it will be for a few weeks now.
100_2473.jpg

100_2472.jpg

Okay have done some work on the top - does need finishing still but you can get the idea(s). In a little bit - and before any wheeling is done probably going with this rollcage from Motion Offroad

http://motionoffroad.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=93_153&products_id=179

Here's all the high tech tools for doing this - I did notice though after rivot the snaps done they are not "biting as hard" when snapped. Also for the front I think the wind is going to catch the cover pretty good and will need some kind of wind deflector. Will have to do some higher speed testing to see what happens I guess.

100_2586.jpg

100_2587.jpg

Okay here is the rear cut open now:
100_2589.jpg

Not sure for the front if I will keep the center section on the front opening.
100_2590.jpg

Got the cover cut down width wise - but it is cut square and the body has some curvature to it so need to make some modifications to the cover. The rear I was able to make some modifications to the old tonneau rack and bolted it down the the cargo cross support, and from what I can see it is nice and tight. Just kept the existing weather stripping, but may add some kind of sealant just in case - plus need to seal in the edges were it meets the XJ side racks.
In these pics - not all the snaps are done yet so it will tighten up a little, but not much since its warm I don't want to make it super tight, cause then come winter / fall it will be a pain to snap up.

100_2624.jpg

100_2625.jpg

100_2626.jpg

100_2627.jpg

100_2628.jpg

The visible light is from where the cover meets the frame. Still as mentioned may through a bead of some kind of sealant where the frame meets the XJ roof to be on the safe side.

Here is the to do list still:
1. finish up the edges on the openings
2. Install weatherstripping around openings and spray on body liner
3. Some sort of wind deflector in front for the cover
4. May also make two more snap straps that pull downward on the windowframe - so that in case snaps pull off it will hold down
5. Rollcage - already talked to the company and will add some accessories to the cage.

Has anybody said that its going to fold like a taco yet?

Those covers can be kinda a PITA when the temp changes, theres was one covering the hoses on one of the engines at a fire station I volunteered at, when it got cold those things were very hard to put on. But they do look good once they are tight.

-Alex

cool idea

i hate that taco crap thats such bs. there is no way the little bit you cut from the roof is going to make a difference. i believed the whole taco thing until i cut the top off of mine and nothing shifted. nothing happened at all.

Actually not many people have said it will "fold like a taco", but it won't be really moved / driven / wheeled till the cage is installed.

Yeah that's one worry I have since I may have put it too snug now since it will shrink in when it cools. But again its not a daily driver - and probably won't see much for winter wheeling. Mainly the top is going to be used to keep some of the moisture off at times.

Well it passed the rain test so far - no leaks. Still working on the front cause I know the wind will lift it off the snaps - though haven't tried a high speed test (hard to do with no plates and lots of cops in the subdivision. Thinking of putting some straps on each end in the front and have them attach down the window frame a little to keep the top from flopping.

Well the top is 1 snap from being done - lol. Did do some modifications to the front in hopes to keep the air from lifting the cover off. Also got the interior stripped out - cept for the driver seat which is just loosely attached. Saving funds for a cage - almost there - lol. Will post some pics later today once I get home from work.

any updates on this. Did you leave it the way it was in the pics? did you like it or change it?

Yeah, he got a Jeep that didn't have a roof from the factory! :D

I have had my "sun roof" for over a year now and I love it. No my jeep has not toco'd yet.

The canvas top is held on by velcro and snaps. Wind noise is not that bad and it hasn't sailed on the highway.

Would I do it again? Hell yea.

From the ground you can bearly tell the roof is cut.
softtop002.jpg

Lots of work to get it even to look half way decent.

softtop011.jpg

softtop015.jpg

While I was out one day.

wheeling07-26-09010.jpg

IMO the rails along the tops of the pillars provide a lot more of the rigidity than the center part of the roof. I would expect torsional strength to go way down without the roof / crossmembers but wouldn't expect it to taco because of it.

I do have pics somewhere once it was "done". Never was satisfied with my top - when trailering over speeds over 65mph some of the snaps would keep coming undone. It was nice wheeling like that in the summer though - course I also added 1/2 doors. Did add a 6 point cage tied into the unibody as well. And yes as mentioned above the XJ is gone, and have moved on to building a CJ now. I see the new owner is trying to trade it off, but he stripped some of the good parts off already.

Back