• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Curved or straight light bar?

e codes and a upgraded harness was an awesome mod for me. I got the 55/100 bulbs so my brights were very bright and I didn't get anymore unnecessary attention

and please PLEASE ditch the lights! the look awful and cover half your lighting, which could solve your issue right off the bat.

^^This^^

Hella E-code or some Cibie housings with a good bulb and upgraded harness will give you amazing LEGAL lighting that can be used anywhere. Do the upgrade that you can use 100% of the time first, then add the fancy stuff for the 1% of your night driving later.

From my experience with my light bar in between the head lights. My friends hated me when we did night wheeling. So I upgraded my head light with H4 bulbs, then fixed the wiring that a night and day difference. I plain on replacing the light bar with some small pods 6 LED.

One of the best upgrades I've done is the headlight harness and H4 lights. Hands down the biggest bang for the buck improvements.

Ended up getting some cheap on-offroad lights at orallys. 2 for 30 bucks. In the process of wiring them up. Will take pics when done.
a3812f62ba4fa6136c049a613894df31.jpg
c189bba31500f35e8b8ccf66f27038c9.jpg
08cf2c541dc15ff996e8db05528ac28e.jpg

Now search for headlight harness upgrade. Also, try a set of H4 headlights. That'll blow the roof rack lights out of the water. Seriously, one of the best upgrades for the money.

i would agree the hella h4 headlamps are a really good upgrade from the stock ones i did them on my xj and i didn't even upgrade the harness and they are still really bright now i don't have to use my hella 500ff as much.

Forgive us if we won't pretend to be excited about the shitty lights you bought. You got plenty of great advice on here and used none of it. You could have gotten a Putco harness for the same price as those lights and it would have been legal and a much bigger improvement. Don't ask for advice if you won't accept it.

I didn't think they were that bad for the price. Don't forget they're cheap.

And you got basically nothing for your $$. Buy hey, since you are all about looks over function, then keep wasting your money.

Also, have you tried driving with those on yet? I'll bet any amount of money that those mounts move all over the place which will keep moving the light around as you drive.

Yeah, because comparing a 50" single row spot/flood combo to a 50" dual row all spot curved is a valid comparison of output.

Yeah, I knew about the double row vs single row thing and spot vs spot/flood. The point was to illustrate how the light spreads out with the curved bar. If you have a better apples-to-apples pic please post. Anyhow, despite having only one row of LEDs the straight bar seems like it will light things up at a further distance, check out how the purple tree is a little washed out / over exposed due to all the light it consentrates in the middle. It is still going to come down to what your needs are though. Personally I like to have a broad, uniform field of view when doing a night trail. If I did more high speed driving I think shining the light of day as far out as I could would be very useful. Heck, why not just get one of each of these things and have the best of both worlds. :)

Yeah, I knew about the double row vs single row thing and spot vs spot/flood. The point was to illustrate how the light spreads out with the curved bar. If you have a better apples-to-apples pic please post. Anyhow, despite having only one row of LEDs the straight bar seems like it will light things up at a further distance, check out how the purple tree is a little washed out / over exposed due to all the light it consentrates in the middle. It is still going to come down to what your needs are though. Personally I like to have a broad, uniform field of view when doing a night trail. If I did more high speed driving I think shining the light of day as far out as I could would be very useful. Heck, why not just get one of each of these things and have the best of both worlds. :)

Spot on the roof, driving/combo/flood anywhere else. Spot is typically for higher speed stuff - think desert racing, prerunning, etc... The racer is set up like this -

40" hyperspot on top
40" amber spot below bumper (cuts through dust)
2 x 10" driving on top of bumper

The spot gives a great long distance view, while the driving pattern lights up the close and intermediate areas, as well as spread a little to the sides. We used to also have a 30" combo pattern up front, but with the new hyperspot and the drives, it isn't necessary.

One of the guys on the team put in a couple SRQ2 Driving on his A-pillars and he loves them on the trail at night.

Back