• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CSF 3 Row Radiator the best way to go?

After having this for a few weeks I thought i would share something I found.

I orignally didn't see much tempurature drop going to this radiator. But like I have said before I never had an over heating problem, I just needed a new radiator.

I never paid attention on the old radiator but the electric fan and the fan shroud don't seal well to the Champion radiator. I talked to Dr moab on the chat yesterday and he said they didn't seal well to the stock one either. So just to try something out I got some 1/2 thick foam adhesive weatherstripping at the hardware store. I stuffed this in the gaps between the fan/shroud and the radiator. This made a big difference, you could noticably feel that it moves more air through the radiator as opposed to pulling it from the gaps around around the fan/shroud. This actually did make a difference on the temp guage as it stays one mark below the 210 90% of the time now as opposed to going straigh up on 210 most of the time, I think due to the thermostat its not going to run much cooler than that anyways. Its been as high as 106 degrees here lately so it seems to be working well.

I ordered a CSF 3 core for mine, we'll see if that helps, I will be trying your trick as well BlueCuda. I also need to move my tranny cooler out about an inch from the condenser to see if that helps me any.

After having this for a few weeks I thought i would share something I found.

I orignally didn't see much tempurature drop going to this radiator. But like I have said before I never had an over heating problem, I just needed a new radiator.

I never paid attention on the old radiator but the electric fan and the fan shroud don't seal well to the Champion radiator. I talked to Dr moab on the chat yesterday and he said they didn't seal well to the stock one either. So just to try something out I got some 1/2 thick foam adhesive weatherstripping at the hardware store. I stuffed this in the gaps between the fan/shroud and the radiator. This made a big difference, you could noticably feel that it moves more air through the radiator as opposed to pulling it from the gaps around around the fan/shroud. This actually did make a difference on the temp guage as it stays one mark below the 210 90% of the time now as opposed to going straigh up on 210 most of the time, I think due to the thermostat its not going to run much cooler than that anyways. Its been as high as 106 degrees here lately so it seems to be working well.

Awesome dude, I noticed the same thing and have been *meaning* to do the exact same thing as well. You've just made me go to the hardware store in about 10 minutes :thumbup:

Subscribing to this thread!

My CSF 3 core came in yesterday. it was well packaged and there were no signs of damage. looks like its gonna be in this weekend.

I just got mine back from the radiator shop after getting it hot tanked. Still holds pressure (I soldered one of the fins 2 years ago) and there's a tiny amount of rust forming on the fins. Going back in today along with a new t-stat and a new e-fan.

As long as you get the CSF aluminum radiator you'll be fine. I took someone's advice on here and bought the brass 2 row and my temps jumped up to 230* on the freeway w/ the ac off!! I just went back to a new stock replacement and it never goes over 215* with the ac on creeping along in 110-120 degree AZ heat.

The Champion 2-rows have been in stock for a little over a week. I was going to order the ec-1193 2-row on the phone for $180 shipped(even though I was told I could get it for $15x to my door from the guy at the notification call last week :p), but then they told me about the ae-1193 2-row(american eagle edition) with the bigger 1" cores(as opposed to the ec's 3/4" cores) and I got them to sell it for $200 shipped(normally $210). I'll take a pic next week when I install it.

Where are you guys buying the OE replacements? My worry is that the OE replacements might not be as good as the the OE ones.

but then they told me about the ae-1193 2-row(american eagle edition) with the bigger 1" cores(as opposed to the ec's 3/4" cores) and I got them to sell it for $200 shipped(normally $210). I'll take a pic next week when I install it.

interested. i'll be awaiting picz.

Got my CSF 3 core in. Runs about 20 degrees cooler when the AC is on now. Its too hot to run without AC, I'll get back with the numbers on that tomorrow. There is a hairline crack in my thermostat housing but it stops leaking when it gets warm. Not too worry, I'll pick one up tomorrow.

As long as you get the CSF aluminum radiator you'll be fine. I took someone's advice on here and bought the brass 2 row and my temps jumped up to 230* on the freeway w/ the ac off!! I just went back to a new stock replacement and it never goes over 215* with the ac on creeping along in 110-120 degree AZ heat.

I have the brass two row from CSF and it lowered my temps. It's been in the high 90's here and even with the air on it stays slightly below 210. Is there a problem with the brass radiators?

I have a 98 xj and have had over heating problems a few times. This happens on the mountains near where I live and I need to do something about it. Now this Jeep is located in Panama so its not as easy to go to the store and pick up parts like you guys do and to make matters worse I do not know how to work on it so I have to rely on a local Panama jeep shop which is not as sophisticated as shops in the USA.

That all being said I am in the USA and need to get parts for a new cooling system to hopefully nix my overheating issues. I read all the posts in this thread as well as others and this is what I think I am going to do please let me know if I am on the right track.

I need to get a new Radiator. I see the 2 row Champions are in stock but I am worried the hacking involved to install them might be to much for my shop? You think I should go with it or another option that fits better? Considering http://www.rondavisradiators.com/radgallery.htm or even paying the extra for a http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GRI-5-591LB-FXX/ my thing is I can not order parts all the time its just to costly for the shipping. Want to try to get it right the first time.

Ok so once I get input I am getting
1. One of radiators listed above
2. FlowKooler 1747

Now where I am still confused is I think I should get a new 180 degree thermostat, new hoses and belts to but no where could I find a complete list of what I need. Also think it would be best to get electrical fans with a switch to turn on and off..I also can not seem to find these for sale.

I hope to go back to Panama with all the parts I need for this so I can take the jeep to my shop and they can do the labor and hopefully get rid of my overheating issues. If I forget any parts I will be screwed for another few weeks or longer. Thanks for any and all help and advice.

I'm preparing to upgrade my cooling system here within the next few months to either the Champion 3-row or American Eagle 2-row. My original plan was to stay with a stock radiator and add a B&M transmission cooler but these radiators come with a cooler built in. For those of you that have the Champion or AE, what are you opinions on the built in cooler? Do you think adding the B&M is unnecessary?

Thanks!

I'm preparing to upgrade my cooling system here within the next few months to either the Champion 3-row or American Eagle 2-row. My original plan was to stay with a stock radiator and add a B&M transmission cooler but these radiators come with a cooler built in. For those of you that have the Champion or AE, what are you opinions on the built in cooler? Do you think adding the B&M is unnecessary?

Thanks!

The stock OEM replacement radiators should have a built in transmission cooler as well if the Jeep came from the factory with the automatic transmission. My 97 came with a built in one on the factory radiator and it also has a factory auxiliary cooler however it is rather small. I would still highly recommend getting an auxiliary cooler since the built in one tends to not keep up under heavy loads.

The stock OEM replacement radiators should have a built in transmission cooler as well if the Jeep came from the factory with the automatic transmission. My 97 came with a built in one on the factory radiator and it also has a factory auxiliary cooler however it is rather small. I would still highly recommend getting an auxiliary cooler since the built in one tends to not keep up under heavy loads.

x2

Thanks Ben! Just to clarify so that I'm not spending more cash than I need (or possibly damaging the engine somehow) :dunno: - if I go with a Champion or AE (which has a cooler built in) you still recommend a secondary cooler? Could this cause heating issues during the winters?

I have a 2000 Sport, 4.0,that is my DD. I don't do any hard core wheeling, just off road camping and the occasional trip to a secluded mountain ghost town.

I don't think an aux trans cooler is ever a bad idea. I don't recall ever seeing anything that says you shouldn't run one. Remember: heat is a huge trans killer.

Thanks Ben! Just to clarify so that I'm not spending more cash than I need (or possibly damaging the engine somehow) :dunno: - if I go with a Champion or AE (which has a cooler built in) you still recommend a secondary cooler? Could this cause heating issues during the winters?

I have a 2000 Sport, 4.0,that is my DD. I don't do any hard core wheeling, just off road camping and the occasional trip to a secluded mountain ghost town.

Yes definitely get an aux trans cooler regardless. The only time I would ever see an XJ not really needing one would be on a 2wd daily driver that never hauls more than some occasional groceries. The transmission unless in the arctic regions can never really be too cold so don't worry about temps during the winter getting too cold because a cold auto is a happy auto. The Champion or AE are worth getting since they are all aluminum (even the tanks unlike the OEM which have plastic side tanks that crack) and the aluminum will last much longer than any other unit and provide better cooling.

Thanks!

I would add the External cooler as well, especially with you being in the mountains. I just installed the CSF 3 core and for the time being have bypassed the one in the Radiator and just routed it to my auxillary cooler. In the future I may route it back through the radiator or will just upgrade to a larger cooler than I have now.

Back