• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crusie control in my XJ?

yep, so now i have to go searching for an 01 switch setup. ill see what i can find online

I am going to the junkyard this week to pick up a few things. I can see if I can find some. Ill give them to you for what I paid for them plus shipping. Just let me know man. If any of you guys know where I can get some inexpensive factory foglights let me know too.

cheapest I saw em was like 50 bucks... each...

I think it was on discountjeepparts or teamcherokee, but I'm not sure.

I am going to the junkyard this week to pick up a few things. I can see if I can find some. Ill give them to you for what I paid for them plus shipping. Just let me know man. If any of you guys know where I can get some inexpensive factory foglights let me know too.

i can pull some factory fog lights for you off an XJ here and ship them to you if you can find me some switches :rof:

most XJs should already have the wiring harness in place. but i can probably pull the lights for you tomorrow after classes

Actually it doesn't seem so - my spare front clip harness has no fog connectors. I was displeased by this when I discovered it, I thought they all had the connectors hiding behind the grille.

ok well i will do my best to pull as much of the harness as possible for ya buddy, ill let you know what i can get

Getting the whole thing is pretty easy; unbolt the front header panel (a few 13mm and 12mm bolts and a bunch of T25/30/35 bolts along the radiator support, plus a 7mm self tapper in the center along the bottom) then unclip the entire harness using a pair of needlenose pliers and either cut on the far side of the connector below the PCM or disconnect that connector. It's a pain to get that connector off without pulling the PCM/airbox because it has a red retention clip retention clip (not a typo lol) so I usually just cut the engine bay harness side and take the whole thing. Even including pulling the header panel I've done it in 15min a few times.

ok so i grabbed the fog lights. what i did was i just cut the harness where it comes out of the driver side. then i cut the wires going to the head lights and turn signals. they wanted an extra 20 bucks for the harness. so i just grabbed the basics and stuck the wiring in my tool box. but i got the fog lights for 15 bucks for ya

Sorry, I need to hijack this thread just for a minute. I'm having issues with all my controls on the steering wheel not working (horn, cruise, etc.) and my airbag light is on. I just replaced my heater core last week and had to pull the column to do so and when I did my steering wheel spun several times without being connected to the steering shaft. In one of my attempts to re-install the column after I finished with the heater core I heard something pop at the steering wheel. Could I have broken my clockspring? And could that be why my steering wheel controls and airbag light is on? I just want to make sure before I go throwing good money at bad.

Sorry for the hijack, but thanks...

Yup, clockspring went kablooie. Easy way to re-center it when in doubt- remove it from the column entirely, it will have just about 6 full turns available before you feel it want to bind at the end of travel each way. Center it at three turns. Put the steering wheel straight ahead, along with the front wheels. Install clockspring.

Yup, clockspring went kablooie. Easy way to re-center it when in doubt- remove it from the column entirely, it will have just about 6 full turns available before you feel it want to bind at the end of travel each way. Center it at three turns. Put the steering wheel straight ahead, along with the front wheels. Install clockspring.

So, are you saying I can re-use my clockspring if I remove it and re-center it or is it trash? Also, I understand this is pretty much a dealer only item, but I've got a line on 2 clean XJ's in the junkyard the same year as my '97.

Thanks

Yours is junk, sorry. I guess it could have just come unplugged but it sounds like it was wound too tight and broke the internal ribbon cable.

I just put a junkyard clockspring in mine while adding cruise control, no problems.

It's junk. Get one from the junkyard like JJacobs said (wow, just noticed you went red btw!) - just make sure it is from an XJ that has NOT had the airbags go off.

Back