• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crusie control in my XJ?

Another heads up on these- my 97's airbag cover goes all the way to the steering wheel, over the spokes. I've seen some that just had the airbag cover over the middle, and blank plastic plates that swap with the cruise switches. I need to make another yard visit to get the smaller cover, it's that or try to trim down my cover and that looks like a royal pain.

Don't know if the steering wheel itself is any different?

If it needs the switch, it'll be either right next to the switch for the brake lights or built into it - mounted on the bracket for the brake and gas pedals.

ok i will take a look at it and see what i can find.

the other thing i was thinking was that i may have the wrong connector attached to the wrong switch, both connectors are identical so its possible i have them backwards

Easy easy mod. Probably one of the easiest to do. I did it in my old 97 stripper and it was super simple. Get a good steering wheel puller!!!

1. Pull the wheel at the JY and grab the clockspring(airbag must not be deployed.)
2. Remove the negative battery terminal and let the airbags deactivate. Remove the blanks and the airbag. It should be 2 philips head and two 10mm? sockets.
3. Pull your own wheel and put on the JY clockspring. The harness is the same with or without cruise.
4. Put your wheel back on in reverse order and put the switches in place of the blanks. Make sure you connect your wires!
5. After the steering wheel is put together, pop the hood and go to the passenger side.
6. Near the battery, you will find a harness that is not connected to anything. You will also see a vaccumm line with a "T" on it. Plug your servo into both and then mount it to the fender. There are holes predrilled for mounting it.
7. Run the cable to the throttle body. There is a hole already there that accepts the plastic clip for it. Make sure you route it correctly. Just look at a picture in your Owners manual.
8. After connecting your battery back up and double checking everything, crank up your car and test it out. The green "Cruise" light should light up when you press the On button. If it does, then go take it for a drive. The cruise only works 35+ mph. Test all the functions to insure proper operation. The brake pedal should deactivate it.

Note: If your light doesn't come on, it could be the switches. Each year(s) had a different switch IIRC and you may have to find a specific year to match your XJ. If the Cruise won't stay set, double check your vaccum connection. If you have any questions, PM me and I will help as good as I can.

Cdub

Looks to me like the steering wheel w/ cruise is part number 5DY22 LAZAC, only available with leather (woo!). Part numbers for the switch panels are 56007 530AD (right) and 56007 531AD (left); part number for the wiring harness in the steering wheel is 5600 9437 but I'm pretty sure that should be exchangeable.

The switches (at least on a 96, iirc) are resistor multiplexed - i.e. the resistance applied across the wires to the ECU cruise input depends on what button is pressed. That's how they get 3-4 buttons and an LED multiplexed onto four wires. I would not put it past Chrysler to randomly decide to change those resistances between years and not document it anywhere.

Really the only issue to worry about is just finding capatible switches. Try to pull them from the same year as yours. All of the wiring is already present and there is no need to change anything about the wiring coming from the dash to the clockspring. I simply exchanged clocksprings and that did the trick. Just make sure the vaccum hose that you use is in good shape. If it has cracks or such then you will get undesirable effects.

i must not have the right year switches, because i did everything listed about followed to a t. i know the XJ was a 97-99 due to the HP front axle. so i need the switches for an 00 or 01? the airbag was already disassembled from the XJ i got it from, but it was just unbolted mot deployed.

i must not have the right year switches, because i did everything listed about followed to a t. i know the XJ was a 97-99 due to the HP front axle. so i need the switches for an 00 or 01? the airbag was already disassembled from the XJ i got it from, but it was just unbolted mot deployed.

As long as the Airbag didn't deploy, the clockspring should be good. Does your horn work? Thats also a sign of a bad clockspring. As for the switches, they can be easily bought off ebay for cheap. If you can check the sticker on the door of the JY XJs, you should be able to find the year of the vehicle. Look for the thread "junkyard upgrades condensed." That guy had a note about the switches and years compatible. Is the green cruise light coming on? If not make sure you check the fuse. I am not 100 percent sure which fuse it is as I didn't need to add one. Make sure you check your connection at the servo as well. Hope this helps!
Cdub

my horn works just fine. no the light on the dash doesnt light up either. im hoping my servo is ok. it looked to be in good shape when i picked it up. the cable is in very good shape as well. i will have to take a look at the fuse tomorrow and see if that is the issue. im hoping thats all it is.

but there definetly is a difference between switches from 00-01 to 97-99?

I found the thread I was talking about earlier. Heres a segment about the switches:

BE CAREFUL--apparently the switches from 98 or 99 and down and 99 or 2000 and up are different EVEN THOUGH THEY LOOK IDENTICAL. Sorry I don't know exactly, I wasn't paying attention when I pulled my first set but they did not work. I went back and got some off a 2000 (after doing some research) plugged them in and BANG the green "cruise" light on the dash lit up when I pushed on. Works like a charm and easy.

I can get you some switches at the JY around here maybe. What year is your XJ? There is a possibility that your fuse or your servo are shot. I would check the fuse, then try the switches from a different year, then tackle the servo.

i have a 2001 XJ. i will check the fuse before i leave for work and on monday i will check to see what year the XJ was that i got the switches from

I own a 2001 xj and got the switches and clockspring from a 2000 and the servo under the hood from a 1996. everything bolted up just perfect except for the servo. I had to cut the original wires from my 2001 and splice them into the 1996 servo. But everything works perfect for me. The light came on without the servo attatched when I hit the button and the speed stays the same.

i think the culprit is the switches, i know for a fact that the switches arent from a 00 or 01 and its not likely that XJ was a 99 either

I looked into this.. I'm going to go the easy route with a kit.. Just have to tap into the "VSS" vehicle speed sensor.. which I believe is a blue wire that comes off the Trans control module. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HM3TPE

That's the easy route? Silly me, I thought 1/2 hour at the junkyard pulling c4c parts for a total of 10 bucks, that plugs right in was the easy way. My bad.

:D

Back