• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cross over steering

canadian-xj

NAXJA Forum User
Seen this setup on phatjeeps.com
http://www.phatjeeps.com/conversions/grnd_chk_steer.htm

I like the design but not into using heim joints on the street.
I am looking for a similar design but with tre on the end instead of heims.
I tried out the tera flex kit but it is junk. Had to send it back do to
not fitting properly and no provision for steering stabilizer. Tera flex should
call it low steer. Ended up hitting the sway bar brackets and the lower tie rod hung below the diff cause the knuckle was reamed the wrong way. Also if the tie rod fit like it was suppose to it would hit the diff cap.

hiems get loose/noisy? if you get the cheap ones. im sorry to busrt your thought bubble. But TREs should be not DOT legal and hiems should be mandatory!! You cant get a better TIGHTER joint for the life of any joint. you can easily get 5 to 10 years depending on amount of driving. I know on the last 2 jeeps i have ran 3/4" hiems and will never run a tre if i cant help it. Yea, you gotta spend 40 bucks for a good joint, but you get what you pay for.

Matt

Do what 91 Jeep Project and I are going to do. Teraflex D30 knuckle, 1.5" DOM tube, inserts, HD Tie rod ends, and jambnuts from PSC, should work like a charm. Also can be easy made into a OTK type steering. All the beef with street freindly ends...

Scrappy said:
hiems get loose/noisy? if you get the cheap ones. im sorry to busrt your thought bubble. But TREs should be not DOT legal and hiems should be mandatory!! You cant get a better TIGHTER joint for the life of any joint. you can easily get 5 to 10 years depending on amount of driving. I know on the last 2 jeeps i have ran 3/4" hiems and will never run a tre if i cant help it. Yea, you gotta spend 40 bucks for a good joint, but you get what you pay for.

Matt
out of curiosity (hijack warning!) what heims do you prefer?

The last batch I bought. I think collectivly i got 24 or so? I got FK. Some say QA1. But if they are fairly expensive, then they should be a good hiem. Dont look under 20 bucks i would say. I could be wrong and just not know enough :laugh3:

Matt

Scrappy said:

Matt

Same here, I did a MORE histeer on a YJ. Rodends are still the original and everytime I see the Jeep I check the joints. It was done @ 4 yrs ago.

SOOO would all of you recommend heims for a daily driver too? Seeing as you haven't had any problems with them, like noise, vibration, etc.? Heims vs. TRE's are what are keeping me from doing a steering setup right now. I know TRE's are more for street, but i'm hearing more and more people having good luck with heims. I'm going back and forth on the issue every other day...

freerider15 said:
SOOO would all of you recommend heims for a daily driver too? Seeing as you haven't had any problems with them, like noise, vibration, etc.? Heims vs. TRE's are what are keeping me from doing a steering setup right now. I know TRE's are more for street, but i'm hearing more and more people having good luck with heims. I'm going back and forth on the issue every other day...

Basically, you want ones that have a teflon or similar composite liner. Expect to pay 35-40 each for 5/8 size. More if you go larger. Also, while the linkage with the MORE kit left something to be desired, it did come w/ high quality hardware, including locking nuts(not nylock type). All the tapered holed got drilled straight through and none of them have come loose yet.

You really need to have locking hardware and torque everything acurately. Lots of problems w/ rod ends are due to improper mounting. Double shear is better, but the single shear mount can work if it is a solid connection that isn't going to move around.

Last edited:
Really trying not to sound like an idiot here, buuuut im gonna, whats double/since shear? Have a feelin I know what it is, just never used those terms. (Not tryin to thread hi-jack) So would doing TRE's be easier, or would you still recommend Heims? canadian-xj any idea what your gonna do?

single sheer means the bolt is only attached on one side, TREs are designed to be this way, and becasue of the taper they do not loosen up.

heims are meant to be run double sheer, meaning the bolt is attached on both sides of the heim. if heims are run single sheer they have the possibility of wallowing (sp?) out the hole over time and creating problems.

tekeum said:
Is this setup ok for a daily driver?

Absolutely. DD's are what that kit was designed for. Mines a daily driver -- I put just under 50 miles a day on my rig commuting to and front work.

freerider15 said:

They use rod ends exclusively on race cars, whether stock cars or desert race trucks, so I can't see any problem with running them on the street. If they wear and get to clacking, at least you can hear it and know to replace it. A worn TRE needs to be visually inspected, and I've seen them come apart. I think both are good choices, and using one ton TRE's on steering is a very good way to go, but rod ends are easier to work with and really have no negatives unless you're in the mud all the time.

For steering, I buy the same rod ends from the race shop that they use on the circle track cars, and they're about $15 where I get them (Victory Circle). For suspension links you need the real good ones, preferably chromemoly, which are $30-40, and of course it can't hurt to use those on the steering. There is no one manufacturer that makes a better rod end than another, you have to look at the strength specs to see what is the best one that you want to buy. All of the rod end makers have websites with their product specifications, or just buy from a reputable place that regularly sells rod ends for your application.

I've used heims on my steering for a very long time. The only part that I replace regularly is the TRE that I still use at the pitman arm.

Back