• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crawling for dummies

Jakdup

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 XJ, can I fit 38's on a 6 1/2 inch lift with fender trimming? I'm also on a budget, I was thinking a 14 bolt in rear and Chevy 60 in front? I was thinking 5.38 gears? Correct me if I'm wrong on anything I'm new to crawling. Thanks!

I was once in the situation of beng new and having a serious budget; now it's just a serious budget ;)

Walk before crawling. Get a simple 3"-4" lift and 31" tires and go from there. You'll be suprised what a stock XJ can do, let alone one lifted 3-4" with reasonable sized tires.

new to wheeling and you wanna jump to 38s and tons? There are people with a lot less lift running tires that size. Also I think chevy 60 is pass drop. You planning on a tcase swap?

I feel he is trolling

Trolling? No, new to this yes, and yes I have a Tacoma everyday driver on 35's, I'm new to crawling though. And if needed to I will switch tcase.

I would just wheel that tacoma on 35s and call it done.

if you want a XJ on tons research and read threads. there are tons of great builds on here and of course the cherokee forum on pirate. Just spend some time reading builds, you will see what works.

why a chevy 60, get a ford 60 and save yourself the time, hassle, and expense of swapping in a passenger drop t case. If you have never rock crawled then as mentioned above start off with a mild lift and 31-33 inch tires and LEARN how to crawl.

If ya gotta ask about fitting 38's on 6.5" your not ready. Also frame stiffening and a cage are a must.

Quality lift components and proper set up. LOTS of trimming. Properly built axles. Plenty of armor underneath. And frame stiffeners.

Not really easy to do on a small budget IMO.

Nah I have had lifted mud trucks a time or two just as a hunting vehicle, which was on 33's, never upgraded anything else though. I need suggestions on what kind of diff to put under it honestly and not spend a fortune. What gears? I've been told to run 5.38.

Nah I have had lifted mud trucks a time or two just as a hunting vehicle, which was on 33's, never upgraded anything else though. I need suggestions on what kind of diff to put under it honestly and not spend a fortune. What gears? I've been told to run 5.38.

Why are you so keen on this? There are great guys here with YEARS of experience and knowledge telling you it would be smarter to start small and then go big later.

For real I didn't join the forum to get talked to like I'm a dumbass of some sort, I know exactly how I'm lifting it and what tires, I wasn't sure what diff would fit under it with out a prob. And what kind of problems I would run into while putting a diff from anther vehicle in it. That's all I needed to know. Thanks anyways though!

Rarely do people that actually have the required skills and knowledge to do these swaps, actually ask the questions you ask. Your own questions lead us all to believe that your not ready to jump into such an involved build, which why they all have told you to start small.

You may be right, I'm not sure honestly, I'm going with 35's or bigger no doubt, just need the basics really and what rear end to use. I'm just 18, I do mechanic work about every weekend I even put the 6 inch lift on my Tacoma, I've never fooled with changing out differentials though. Can I use a Dana 44 out of a WJ and swap gears? Just shoot me some advice on what I need to do. I just need the advice on that stuff guys.

Read. Read. Read. There are tons of threads going over the exact same thing you want to do. No one is hating on you. The more research you do, the more knowledgeable you will become. And you'll likely find all the answers to your questions. Start here on NAXJA in the advanced fab section.

Thank ya sir, didn't really mean to come off as a dick. From what I've read I can use a 44 out of a WJ.

One more question I haven't found the answer to, I see where every one runs propane, the only thing I've heard of propane being used on is diesels. Why propane?

Back