• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cowl Hood Wiper Arm Clearance

O/T, but how do you like the hood otherwise? Where did you get it and if you don't mind, how much? Also, do you have any pics with the hood up showing the issue? BTW, nice MJ

Thanks. Previously I had a stock hood hood w. 98 Limited ZJ hood vents, and the cowl hood does a much better job keeping down the underhood temps.

hood2.jpg

Got the new Reflexxion hood on Ebay for about 1/2 the retail price. No pics yet of the the clearance issue w. the right wiper post, but it's a well known problem w. these hoods. I'm just keeping the wiper arm off until I figure out a solution w/o cutting up the hood.

Would '97+ wiper arms put the wipers in a better spot? I re-bushed the mechanism on my '92, but still not perfect. Then I got the later arms (for the '92, '95, and '96- the '96 Classic came with them) and because they're angled a few degrees, you can position the blade lower, closer to the bottom molding. And they look a little more contemporary.

I didn't realize the wiper arms changed in 97. But the problen is the lip of the cowl hits on the "cap" of the wiper arm where it attaches to the post. So unless the arm cap is about 1/4" lower, probably will not work. It's been ages since I've pulled the wiper motor; is there any way it can be mounted a little lower in the cavity? The hood might clear then.

I don't know that lowering the wiper assembly would give enough clearance to be useable, and you'd be opening up a whole 'nuther can of worms. The torque generated by the arms inside the mechanism tend to push and pull against each other, and the whole thing would self destruct. Mine once came apart where the two sides are joined, during an ice storm. The wipers just ended up flopping all over, even onto the cowl. Some fun.....
I guess your only recourse is to shorten the rear edge of the scoop. Judging by the look of the truck, you should have the skill to do a nice job cutting a little bit off, then dressing the edge. It'd be a shame to mess with that hood, tho.....

I guess your only recourse is to shorten the rear edge of the scoop. Judging by the look of the truck, you should have the skill to do a nice job cutting a little bit off, then dressing the edge. It'd be a shame to mess with that hood, tho.....

Yes, that would be a shame but that's what I'll probably have to do.

They didn't design the hood for the wipers? That's odd.

Would swapping to the newer style "clip" windshield wiper arms (instead of the pin style used on pre 96/97 vehicles) solve the problem possibly?

The XJ wiper arms are the same for the Comanche, btw.

They didn't design the hood for the wipers? That's odd.

Would swapping to the newer style "clip" windshield wiper arms (instead of the pin style used on pre 96/97 vehicles) solve the problem possibly?

The XJ wiper arms are the same for the Comanche, btw.

We've discussed the newer style wipers arms. The problem is the height of the right wiper post. If the newer style wiper arm cap sets lower than the pre-1997 arms, it could allow the hood to open more. Do they? Just need about 1/4". Right now, w. the right wiper arm installed. I can only go up as far as the lower prop rod hole. If I want to go all the way up, I have to remove the right wiper arm. No big deal, just a bit aggravating. But I can live with this rather than start chopping the cowl lip off the hood.

Go the rear gas strut like shown on my site http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/Exterior.htm and I emailed you about as that is what I did and have no problem working under that height with my cowl. I'm over 6'3" so can't see this being a problem to anyone unless body width is the problem. ;)
I have a RHD though but shouldn't make any difference. Also mine is a 95 so not getting extra clearance this way. Do you have any gap at all when on the lower slot with the rod? You can go higher anyway with a gas strut as don't have to lift it higher before lowering it back down into the slot.

sorry for being off topic but that is a beautiful MJ Usually I see them all mangled and abused that was refreshing :).

Go the rear gas strut like shown on my site http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/Exterior.htm and I emailed you about as that is what I did and have no problem working under that height with my cowl. I'm over 6'3" so can't see this being a problem to anyone unless body width is the problem. ;)
I have a RHD though but shouldn't make any difference. Also mine is a 95 so not getting extra clearance this way. Do you have any gap at all when on the lower slot with the rod? You can go higher anyway with a gas strut as don't have to lift it higher before lowering it back down into the slot.

Thanks Marcus. And I do have the Redline struts, just have not reinstalled them yet at the lower level. I guess I'm just used to working under there w. the hood higher than the top hole as it was with the old hood struts. And yes, it will go up a bit more than the lower hole, so I'll give it a go with the struts as high as I can make it.

And thanks all for the kind words.

Beautiful MJ comanche91, I've always followed you closely on here and ComancheClub...love your work. I just installed one of these on my 1997 Cherokee and I'm having the same interference issues. I've actually darn near put a slice in my head from hitting the sharp metal on the way up a couple times. I think I've gotten accustomed to it now but...just wondering if you've come up with a solution short of cutting yet. I'm really thinking about just throwing about another quarter-inch of shims on both sides equally and calling it a day but...theres nothing worse than a cowl hood raised up the back. Any ideas yet?
Thanks,
Collin

Thanks Colin, but no solution yet - I'm just living with it, and it's not so bad. I keep the right side wiper arm off so I don't forget and crank the hood all the way up, and pop the arm on if I'm caught driving in a typhoon. Not ideal, but the extra cooling from cowl hood and dual electric fans kept the stroker cooler than it's ever been throughout the long hot 'Bama summer, and I'm not about to chop or shim the hood. Such is life..........:cheers:

Thanks Colin, but no solution yet - I'm just living with it, and it's not so bad. I keep the right side wiper arm off so I don't forget and crank the hood all the way up, and pop the arm on if I'm caught driving in a typhoon. Not ideal, but the extra cooling from cowl hood and dual electric fans kept the stroker cooler than it's ever been throughout the long hot 'Bama summer, and I'm not about to chop the hood. Such is life..........:cheers:
Figured that answer was coming, I'm glad it's helping with your stroker though, seems like a pretty good addition to that setup. I'm going to continue to research and experiment with different options on this and the final option will be to remove material from the cowl of the hood if nothing else satisfies me. I will keep you posted on whatever I find out. Thanks again!
-Collin

Do you have any pics of the hood open? I'm getting ready to build a cowl for mine and was curious about clearance on my XJ. I'm thinking it would be about the same for the MJ.

Parakeet

how feasible would it be to move the cowl lip forward a half inch

also somebody ought to talk to the manufacturer about this.
I can't get mine further forward anymore, the adjustment holes are maxed out in that direction. I may try calling Reflexxions to see if they have a remedy.

Do you have any pics of the hood open? I'm getting ready to build a cowl for mine and was curious about clearance on my XJ. I'm thinking it would be about the same for the MJ.

Parakeet
Parakeet, I will try to get some pictures of it open tomorrow. For what it's worth though, my cowl starts to hit right after it's opened past the first prop rod hole.

Back