• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Converting a Ultra4 to Jeepspeed, alot more then I thought

Well initial report..

Sat - we raced good for about 1.5 laps of 3. LOTS of dust, started in teh dark, and snapped a rear leaf center bolt. axle moved back and had to stop to fix best we could course side. Called it at 2nd lap.

rebuilt some things sat afternoon.

Sun - raced good for about 1 lap then had a few lean running areas, and stopped to check fuel filters and pumps. Ran stong after for some reason. 2nd lap was the best of the weekend and hard. 3rd lap we were stopped for the faster next group starting and right behind us. The stopped our time, and let us and one other start once the other passed, and we finished with a 2nd place.

NOW. It all changes. Way to slow for a 3700 class, susp wise. We did rip a front shock off the front end in the mid of the 3rd lap.

So 40-48" rear trailing arms. Coil overs, bypasses. 9". etc...

I Almost felt like I did something cool...

On Mesa.jpg

It was night and day really.
No rocks to get a breather. Only mine fields of whoops and HOLES, and lots of sand. Ben Napier did very good for a Ultra4 car against full desert racing machines.

I am just moving up to Mod. The 1st place rig of Wyane hartwig was not much faster if at all in the short course stuff. But his travel and shock availability made him much quicker in the rough. So, once we do this we will just play in the mod class EMC.

Just need to figure out if coil overs in the front is really feasible at this time. That adds Alot more work to a already large amount that we will be doing in the next 3 months.

Glad you guys made it out this past weekend! We were happy to have you guys, I took some pictures of you guys going through Shea Road (RM 2-3) I will send some pictures your guys way here soon! The more 3700 cars the better! Hope to see you guys at more BITD races!

Thanks Chris.
Ultra4 is fun, but this was more intense I think. There were only a few spots where there was over about a 3-4 sec breather, at BWDC. And if I was 2wd I could see it being not even a breather at those times. I am very happy I had 4wd. There were a few long sections of deep sand and I was able to take a wounded XJ and drive left/right at will and still pull no prob in the sand. But the rear leafs and bumps were really not made for that terrain. hence, 4 link / coilovers going in.

ANY pictures would be great! I do know on sunday we did stop along shea rd to put in a exh collector bolt and tighten down the other.

Cant wait till I can do some more work on the Jeep and be back out there in Feb.

Any pictures can be posted here, but email is nice also.
Thanks again! [email protected]

made it into the Email blast from Jeepspeed.com Rob, congrats!

jeepspeed_13bwdc_08.jpg

Jeepspeed.com Email blast said:
Robert Kobal was competing in Jeepspeed Cup for the first time. Robert did not finish on Saturday but completed the course on Sunday. “The race was more fun than even expected, with great people and an awesome location!” said Robert, “Jeepspeed really opened our eyes from a rock crawler POV to another great way to race. We have decided to redo many items that will take us out of the Stock class in Ultra4 but make us more competitive for all future Jeepspeed races.”

:party:

Robert. Congrats on your first Jeepspeed race. Thank you for joining our group. We really appreciate your hard work and participation. Looks like you are bitten by the desert race bug and heading in the right direction to improve performance. We hope to see more KOH teams join us as we have six great events each season here in the SW. Let us know how we can help. As a side note any KOH team that races Jeepspeed next season will get a free set of General Tires for their first race.

We hope to see more KOH teams join us as we have six great events each season here in the SW. Let us know how we can help. As a side note any KOH team that races Jeepspeed next season will get a free set of General Tires for their first race.

This is interesting...As a fellow Ultra 4 stock class driver having raced in KOH, Dirt Riot and ADRA (in the 1450 truck class) I like how you are recruiting to make it more appealing. My only hold back on Jeepspeed is I built a car to be somewhat fast for the desert and capable in the rocks. Trying to skirt both series is hard but can be done I feel. Im just against running every marketing sponsors decal on my car even though they may not be my personal sponsors. But something to look into.

Not sure about what you mean on decals. You only have to run General as they subsidize your entry, pay the prize money and give you tires! We need our name and number plates on all entries. All other decals are optional for contingency awards.

Well there are some decals for us that we had to try and make fit. But in the grand scheme of things, it was well worth it. And to top it off, we got a set of General Grabber's! I would never had bought them. I just have never really thought about the Grabbers for anything I wheel. But I will tell you the 35" are freaking tough! I ripped rear fender opening apart and smashed what it didnt pull apart, with the rear tires when we broke the leaf center pin on 2nd lap and the tire only has a few very small noticeable areas. They worked great in the long sand stretches and felt good overall. That alone if a perk.

As for the required rim manufacture. That is a separate issue, but the man at the top of JS, Clive, Wants everyone to race and does/is doing, everything he can to make sure little things dont hang you up.

You should try a race and see how you like it!

Not sure about what you mean on decals. You only have to run General as they subsidize your entry, pay the prize money and give you tires! We need our name and number plates on all entries. All other decals are optional for contingency awards.
JS chief it was a misunderstanding apparently as I thought you had to run the ATX wheels and all the other companies decals. But if that is just for contingency then that makes it more appealing.

As for the required rim manufacture. That is a separate issue, but the man at the top of JS, Clive, Wants everyone to race and does/is doing, everything he can to make sure little things dont hang you up.

You should try a race and see how you like it!

So you do have to run a specific wheel? Hmm what did you do with your racelines?

As for trying it out I would love to but would need to read the rule book and see where we would fall under while keeping it Ultra 4 spec. Definitely on the radar.

I just sold my race lines and going to go to another beadlock. Just don't know which yet. I went from 8 lug to 5 lug now, so...

If u pass ultra tech then you can show up to a jeepspeed race untouched and pass/race.

For me and alot of others its not the desert that makes us want to race that also. Its the chance to 'Race'... I have a XX,XXX$ rig, with over 2K in protective gear and base comms etc... Why let it sit for all but 2 times a year(I wont travel 1000-3000Miles to race, dont have that liberty/means/time off).

Not to mention I have a Jeep and Jeepspeed really is a great group of people.

Back