• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Complete Exhaust System

The only problem with this is that as of 9 months ago, there is no one in Vegas that has a mandrel bending machine. I called every place in the phone book and, unfortunately, no one has one. If someone knows of one, please let us know.
What did you ended up with?
Did you got the downpipe replaced?

if your stock one isn't rusyed use it with a new end on it (the part that bolys to the header) and that should get rid of the crimp in it which will make it perfectly fine unless you have a built stroker.
It's pairly rusted but still usable but bc of my "minor ocd", i rather replace the whole system :clap:.

^this

support your local exhaust shop. in my experience they have been cheaper and the end result is better.
:huh:

Hee is my expierence with the magnaflow kit...

$40 was after the $75 rebate, which is no longer available.

I have created a turn-down, and will be welding that on when ever I get a chance... hope that is this weekend. If you get the correct exhaust for your year, unlike what I did, it will be a bolt on affair from the cat back. I just HATE the chrome tip of the 97~ and the z-bend of the ~96.
How did i missed your post....nice details, thx.

Care to share which system you have?
Thx.

On my 00,I put a banks header on and used the Walker head pipe 55277,Magnaflow converter and the dynomax exhaust. Everything fit good no issues. Before anyone says anything my was a early 00 with federal emissions. Same set up as a 99.
Thx, i'll look into that.
At stock height, there's not much room for the downpipe (hence the kink), and the front driveshaft yoke will make room. Once you're above stock height, you don't have that issue, or at least I don't.

I started with the Dynomax catback, then later did the intake and APN manifold swap, Maremont downpipe (won't recommend), and a Walker cat, replacing the SuperTurbo muffler with a smaller "turbo" muffler, and adding a short piece of pipe to make up the difference. All the clamps have since rusted away/broken, including the rear hanger from the Dynomax kit. Replaced all clamps with SS band clamps. Had to have a shop tweak the downpipe, as it was banging against the crossmember.

Exhausts are covered in pretty good detail around here; I'd do a lot of Google searching (add site:naxja.org to your searches) and reading. There's a lot of good advice floating around, and I could have saved money and time, had I not ignored some of it.
Thx. :geek:

How did i missed your post....nice details, thx.

Care to share which system you have?
Thx.

Here is the tread
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1059312

I ended up going with the Dynomax 17463, which is spec'd for a 87-92 XJ. This means it is 2.5" from the cat back, while the 17340 (93+) reduces to 2.25". The 17463 was about $35 cheaper than the 17340, and with the Hobart, I could fix any hangers in improper locations. Turns out the only difference between the two, were in terms of routing from about the fuel-tank/leafspring back. The 17463 has a z-bend which drops the center line of the exhaust about 2.5" just before the tip, while the 17340 kinks outboard at the same spot and a turndown. You can see that difference illustrated here, as the 17340 would mimic the factory routing fairly well.
2011-04-01170215.jpg

That is where my homemade turn-down will come in, as the z-bend places the exhaust tip pretty far below the rear bumper.
2011-04-01175911.jpg

... and I think it looks pretty lame in general. The turn down was made by cutting up a 2.5" mandrel 90* that I had left over/hacked from another project on a horizontal cut band-saw at work. I didn't have the extension I needed, hence the straight section welded on. The lower tab of the rear exhaust hanger is also getting a bit thin from rust, and I am thinking about grinding it off the rubberized loop insulator and just attaching the exhaust directly to that. The other option is to properly weld in some bar hanger stock, and use a standard rubber insulator.

As for the cat forward, I don't have any experience on this vehicle, and sorry about the tangent filled, alcohol induced, partially on topic, posts.

^ :laugh:

Clearance on the Maremont downpipe. Note the craptastic crush bends. I would have paid the shop (which normally charges too much) to remove the kink in the stock pipe, and reuse it.

Image005.jpg

Tailpipe exits too low, IMO, on the more expensive kit as well. It can also interfere with longer shackles. A little tweaking can cure that, but again, I don't see the point in adding an offset that creates clearance issues in the first place. Straight out the back (and about 2" higher) would have been fine.

DSCF5494.jpg

DSCF5163.jpg

The two factory hanger setups. The fancier Dynomax kit uses a clamp with a rod welded to it to mimic the latter hanger. It broke while removing the hanger when we were working on the springs. Didn't like either factory hanger for this particular job, so I combined two off-the-shelf hangers to raise the pipe a little bit.

52101097AC.jpg

52019543ab.jpg

DSCF5335.jpg

Note the rust along the weld. That finally gave out last week, so the fancy tip now lives on my bench. I'm guessing this thing will have completely rusted apart within the next two years. Hindsight, again... might not be an issue for you out west.

I will probably do things differently next time, but for the money, it wasn't a bad setup, IMO. If money were no object, I'd have a complete stainless setup from manifold to tailpipe, but that's not the case for me.

edit- BIG PITCHERS!! sorry, need to resize them.

Last edited:
As long as the bolt together bits you are using upstream place the muffler at a near stock position, it will be a bolt in process. I am only bringing in my welder to correct the hideous exhaust tip with a turn down I made. Then again, if I could get the exhaust tucked higher in the chassis, the tip may be closer to the bumper, and therefor a bit more acceptable. Ideally the exit of the turn down ill be flush, or just above, the bottom of the hitch as to not effect departure on the low ass rig. From what I saw in my research for new exhaust, was none of the aftermarket kits did exactly what I wanted, and the cheapest solution at the time just happened to bring me the closest.

I just went out and snapped some pics of the rear hanger on my '99.

2011-10-19120928.jpg

2011-10-19121012.jpg

2011-10-19120948.jpg

You can see the factory hanger is a rubber/nylon isolator bolted to the body and to a flange that hangs the exhaust down. I had the idea of grinding off the rivets and attaching the exhaust directly to that isolator, but I fear the heat will cause issues with it. The next thought was to remove the rear hanger all together and bend the drop tab flatter, to bring the exhaust up into the chassis. There is a noticeable decline in the plumbing from the axle to tip, so it could honestly use a boost to be parallel to the chassis. If the bending of the factory hanger doesn't work, I may end up doing as Hubs did with the aftermarket unit.

when it comes to piecing together an exhaust, especially using bits from different companies, you are going to need to deal with some fitment issues, and "custom work" (read time with hammer) No real fabrication tools will be needed if you acquire bits that were designed to fill the holes left by factory parts... meaning flanges, lengths, hangers, etc are all in factory locations.

Does your entire exhaust system need replacement, or are you just thinking of doing it all while you are in there?

What did you ended up with?
Did you got the downpipe replaced?

I ended up just getting a parts house replacement for right now. It's better than stock but not what I wanted. It has those crappy kinked bends. When I get more time, I'll do some more research and find a better one, but It'll have do for now. I'd still like to find a shop that has a mandrel bender.

I ended up just getting a parts house replacement for right now. It's better than stock but not what I wanted. It has those crappy kinked bends. When I get more time, I'll do some more research and find a better one, but It'll have do for now. I'd still like to find a shop that has a mandrel bender.

Thx Warlock.
Pls post once you find it.....i'll do the same.
GL.

:wave1::thumbup:

It doesn't seem like anybodys addressed your which header question.... Personally I would go with the APN header. The primary tubes are more equal length and should produce a better power curve. Whether you'd be able to tell the difference, idk.

It has those crappy kinked bends.

I was reading some tech articles on exhaust with kink bends and they say for a stock to slightly modified motor they say it really doesn't hurt performance any. This is mainly because the kinks are only present where the exhaust tubing bends. The kinks are formed on the inside of the bend and the primary exhaust forces are on the outside of the bend due to the inertia from the turn in the exhaust.

Now If I had two choices, kink bends vs madrel, Id pick the mandrel. However, if my kink bend pipes were in good shape I'd just leave them untill then needed to be replace..... and that my 2 cents :gag: :spin1:

If you're going to take the time/effort/$$ to get an etirely new exhaust system, INVEST IN SOME VBAND CLAMPS. Piece the exhaust together as you usually would, weld it, then just cut into sections and weld in your flanges. Makes removing your exhaust CAKE when you need to.

If you're going to take the time/effort/$$ to get an etirely new exhaust system, INVEST IN SOME VBAND CLAMPS. Piece the exhaust together as you usually would, weld it, then just cut into sections and weld in your flanges. Makes removing your exhaust CAKE when you need to.

:rtm:

Problem is i don't have any fabrication tools...not even a freaking vise :(.

I would prefer a system without welding pls.

I love v-bands, but I just can't see the feasibility when someone wants a system without welds and/or on a budget.

It doesn't seem like anybodys addressed your which header question.... Personally I would go with the APN header. The primary tubes are more equal length and should produce a better power curve. Whether you'd be able to tell the difference, idk.

I was reading some tech articles on exhaust with kink bends and they say for a stock to slightly modified motor they say it really doesn't hurt performance any. This is mainly because the kinks are only present where the exhaust tubing bends. The kinks are formed on the inside of the bend and the primary exhaust forces are on the outside of the bend due to the inertia from the turn in the exhaust.

Now If I had two choices, kink bends vs madrel, Id pick the mandrel. However, if my kink bend pipes were in good shape I'd just leave them untill then needed to be replace..... and that my 2 cents :gag: :spin1:

Probably going with APN.

I have the APN. I like it, although I cracked mine. Make sure your motor mounts are good, or better yet, replace them with Ironman4x4, Brown Dog, MORE bombproof, etc.

Ya know, I haven't seen this mentioned/asked yet. Are you replacing a cracked manifold, or just looking for some more power/better sound? If any of this is daunting, and your manifold isn't cracked, I'd do a bolt-on catback, and tackle the header/downpipe swap later. If you're a little more careful than I was, you can attack the exhaust in stages without it costing much more.

Back