• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Complete Exhaust System

OK... Go buy a Cherry-Bomb glass-pack, and clamp that on as the new muffler. It just sounds so perfect on the old inline-6. You will have high-school flashbacks, and all the hotty soccer-moms will dig your ride !!! Just do it.... ;)

I've owned one Dynomax muffler. I had it for about a year and a half and had to weld up several holes that rusted through it. Mainly along the welds. It performed great and sounded great, just didn't last nearly as long as I'd hoped.

My .02

As to the header, I have been happy with the Banks Torque Tube on my '97 4.0. It bolted up perfectly. i do strongly recommend getting the header ceramic coated before installation. The header gets really hot and under the hood will be much cooler with the ceramic pipes. My 6 year old Banks just cracked yesterday, and they are sending me a new one, I will not make the mistake of not getting it ceramic coated this time. my2¢.

Yikes somehow I missed over the lack of fab equipment. I too had the infamous dynomax super turbo on my last xj. Looked great, sounded great, felt great, but like said previously, it rusted within the 2 years I had it. Even after spraying it with high temp engine paint. Wasn't full of holes, but I'd think in another year it would have started to fall apart substantially.

Thank you for all the comments and suggestions :peace:.

Have to put my build to a stop.
Compression test didn't show up within spec...70-80psi.
Deciding on selling Jeep or to put in reman/jy engine.

Thx again NAXJA!

I just opened up the stock down pipe when I stalled a new header, cat and exhaust. A good torch on the dent until it's glowing and a round pry bar did the trick. Opened it up to at least 90% of flow capacity, still a little bit flat on the dent side but figure if it's truly for axle clearance then it's still giving me at about 3/8" over a new no dent pipe. However I can't say I noticed a difference in performance.

Back