• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Comanche ?'s

sWissfoo

NAXJA Forum User
im looking to buy a comanche, was wondering if i could just bolt everything from my xj right up to an 89 2wheel drive. can i use the transfer case from the 97 to use for 4x4 on the 89, i understand that i would have to modify a hole in the cab for the 4x4. will my dana 30 and 35 bolt up no problem?

thanks for the help

A 97 transfer case will not fit on the 89, without changing the tcase input shaft.

X2 on the last two posts... the fact that the dana 35 won't bolt in is saving you from wasting your time on that junk, drop a hundred bucks at the nearest scrapyard and pick up a 95-up ford 8.8 with the same gear ratio as your 30.

Just so you know - when swapping the front axle, get the coils seated on the isolators, then bolt up the control arms, THEN bolt up the track bar and sway bar and steering... don't ask how I know it's easier that way.

more ?'s im not gonna get rid of the 35 i put too much money into it, it has an arb/4.10 gears. also would i be able to take the trans and t-case w/slip yoke elmin. from my 97 and just bolt it up to an 89? would my long-arm from rubicon express bolt up?

once again thanks for the help

:doh:

You put a lot of money into it and it's only gonna get worse... stop the bleeding while you can. You can pick up an 8.8 with 4.10s and disk brakes for a hundred bucks like I said. Sell the ARB to some guy who wants to dump money into his 35 and use the money to buy one for the 8.8.

Dumping money into a d35 is one of the worst things you can do IMO.

8.8 most deffiltly. screw the 35. The money you have into it os only going to make you that much more frustrated when it breaks. i got a 231 you can bolt up, two of them as a matter of fact. let me know if you want it, i want the 97 tcase you have so well work something out.

The 97 231 will not bolt to a 2WD tranny, no case will, without major modification.

A 97 231 has a 23spline input, and will not bolt to an 89 4WD tranny as it would have a 21spline output.

If you have a 97 Trans and transfer case, and use both, they will bolt into an 89 provided they are the same trans (aw4>aw4, or ax15>ax15)

If you have an early 89 it could be possible it has the BA10, you might have to swap a few more parts, but it can be done.

The rear drive shaft will be different, and will need to be reworked/replaced. With a SYE and DC shaft it might be close with a SWB, but a LWB you will need more length.

Your Long arm kit and front components will swap over, but you will need MJ lift leaf springs unless you don't mind a little rake from a SOA. SOA will get you more in the 5-5.5 range

As stated MJ spring perches are wider due to outboard springs, they are also longer and do not interchange with XJ. XJ Add-a-leafs will only net ~1/2 of the lift it will give on an XJ due to the differences in the factory arch of the leaves (3" AAL= 1.5" lift on an MJ).

Do yourself a favor before this happens to you
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1031928
12317_1442992038602_1347122587_1233103_2712252_n.jpg

12317_1442991918599_1347122587_1233102_987552_n.jpg

more ?'s im not gonna get rid of the 35 i put too much money into it, it has an arb/4.10 gears. also would i be able to take the trans and t-case w/slip yoke elmin. from my 97 and just bolt it up to an 89? would my long-arm from rubicon express bolt up?

once again thanks for the help

the 97 setup is electronic spedo so you will have to make changes to get your sped o and tranny controls to work. it not a direct connect wire harness.

You can run the D35 if you don't wheel with your right foot :) if your running small tires (31") and don't lock it you can run it for a bit, but you need to get a better axle down the short road.

Back