• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cold Start Misfire

Rocker is up? You mean when the cam is at full lift? If so that is wrong.

As for the mark on the valve cover I would see why that mark is there. Stock rockers shouldn't hit the valve cover. Unless there was a build issue in the rockers or valve cover.

pardon my lack of shop lingo. not sure really but the dude was a mechanic most of his life so ill spin the motor a bit and tinker with it for giggles. the valve cover is off my old motor. honestly im not really sure how to go about seeing why but ill be looking into and tinkering with it tomorrow morning. theres no noticeable damage to the rocker itself so other than laying the cover along side and trying to estimate where what its hitting is about all i got to go on. really just kinda hopeing ive found a start to fgure out this misfire

ive also begun pulling out the crank sensor to replace, got the lower bolt out but needed a tool to get to the top. read alot of people with misfires being cleared up by replacing it and/or the cam sensor. figure i can replace and if it doesnt solve i can just return the part and put thee old one back in

still need to re acquire the compression tester and get to that. ill be starting school again on the 19th so times running out to not need a car

Last edited:
well... it seems too have cleared up. im going to start her up twice a day for the next few days to make sure its not just something like "when i flash the comp it clears up" situation. but it sure is nice haha

anywho looking at rockauto i can pick the part up for HALF what Orielys was and im not big on their parts. never heard of any of the rockauto brand either tho
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1363384,parttype,7196
any suggestions on these?

oh and as for the rocker hitting the vc ive found very little info on this and both(non xj found thru a google search) had responses of simply dbl stacking a gasket or gett a rhicker gasket. seems janky tho but as usual ill be looking into it

this morning it returned so check crank sensor off the list. it puzzles me how simply changing a sensor will clear it up for a bit. i intentionally did not flash the ecu just so that wouldnt happen and yet it did

well neither cam nor crank sensor yeilded positive results :(

i did however learn that a standard ratchet with a 12" ext, a ujoint and a socket makes the perfect shape to bridge ur cam sensor bolt to your positive battery cable.

Josh Jensen in the Sierra chapter has his motor for sale. Buy that, and warranty your motor and sell it,. haha.

Let me clarify what i mean. Im talking about a slight intake manifold gasket leak? did you install the intake on this motor or was it already on? ive workd on a lot of 4.0 engines at work and ive seen the intakes loose more times then not

i have. sprayed starter fluid around. im also currently running my stock airbox(i have a aem intake) on it to see what happens. also had the motor smoke tested to check for leaks

Back