• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coilovers With 32-34" Tires Anyone?

saybye

NAXJA Forum User
Been pondering on this idea for some time on my two door Cherokee or Wrangler. Ive got 32's on my Cherokee and 34's on my Wrangler. Just for ride quality purposes, has anyone done this? (keeping factory axles, steering, etc.)

Im not looking to do another ton or 3/4 build. I want to keep a small narrow rig that will drive up and down the road but yet have the ride quality of the coilovers off road.

Shock and coil spring are another idea, some say the right shock with the right coil spring can reach this type of ride quality. Ive tried many different setups over the years, and while some coil spring and shock setups ride well, IMO I still haven't owned or riden in a rig that rides like true coilovers ride.

As far as I know there still isn't a bolt on kit for this, specially for the XJ's. Anyone know of a similar build like this or if anyone is making some sort of bolt one style kit for this yet?

Last edited:
Sounds like an awesome idea!!! I've always wanted a rig that stays small with coilovers, like an expedition type rig. That setup would be about infinitely tunable for both on and off road use. Besides, I see lowered cars with coilovers all the time, so I don't see a problem with 12"-14" travel coilovers on a DD Jeep

However I don't think that there's a kit for it, haven't looked though. But it seems like the work to replace the shock/coil spring mount with a coilover mount would be fairly easy to do

I would contact two people.

Andy @ Ironman 4x4 fab: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ironman4x4Fabcom/201185123243361?sk=photos_stream&ref=page_internal

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ironman4x4Fabcom/201185123243361?sk=photos_stream&ref=page_internal

Or give Tyler a call from Rock Solid.

http://www.rocksolidfab.com/

Andy has experience with helping several guys build rigs for the ECORS race series and for some reason I think he told me about a build with small tires and coil overs at some point. I know he has done a lot with Adam Macke on his TJ with coil overs but that TJ is on 40" Treps IIRC.

I don't see why it couldn't be done. Build an engine cage to mount C/O's to up front and some sort of mount in the rear through the floor. Some 12" C/O's and you're set.

Throw a set of custom long arms on it if you want some articulation out of it.

I have lots of opinions on this. I think its a killer idea. I see it happening with tube or plate built shock brackets and bracing across the engine. Its really up to you how it comes together and what kind of tools you have access to.

What youre looking for as far as ride quality can be accomplished with a separate coil and shock combo, a good friend of mine has a set of reservoir kings on his cherocar and it rides amazing. A coilover or ORI strut will allow you much more flexibility in tuning.

I really like it. I think with the availability of coilovers now as opposed to 10 years ago its a short hop to building a smaller rig on high quality suspension

I would contact two people.

Andy @ Ironman 4x4 fab: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ironman4x4Fabcom/201185123243361?sk=photos_stream&ref=page_internal

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ironman4x4Fabcom/201185123243361?sk=photos_stream&ref=page_internal

Or give Tyler a call from Rock Solid.

http://www.rocksolidfab.com/

Andy has experience with helping several guys build rigs for the ECORS race series and for some reason I think he told me about a build with small tires and coil overs at some point. I know he has done a lot with Adam Macke on his TJ with coil overs but that TJ is on 40" Treps IIRC.

I thought about giving Adam Woodlee a call at and seeing what he thought about the idea and if theyve done anything like it before. Another thought is, is there even a coilover small enough to work? Of course I guess it would all depend on where/how they are mounted...

Ive been in love with Macke's rig for a long time. Such a good looking rig, In my eyes that rig sits absolutely perfect :cheers:

I have lots of opinions on this. I think its a killer idea. I see it happening with tube or plate built shock brackets and bracing across the engine. Its really up to you how it comes together and what kind of tools you have access to.

What youre looking for as far as ride quality can be accomplished with a separate coil and shock combo, a good friend of mine has a set of reservoir kings on his cherocar and it rides amazing. A coilover or ORI strut will allow you much more flexibility in tuning.

I really like it. I think with the availability of coilovers now as opposed to 10 years ago its a short hop to building a smaller rig on high quality suspension

I had a set of RE springs and Bilstein ex. res. shocks on my yellow wrangler. Good setup, not the BEST by any means and it did well but still driving/riding with friends rigs I could tell a big difference. Plus the alloying XJ spring pop ping noise/racket. Maybe I just haven't ran the right spring/shock setup yet.

I don't see why it couldn't be done. Build an engine cage to mount C/O's to up front and some sort of mount in the rear through the floor. Some 12" C/O's and you're set.

Throw a set of custom long arms on it if you want some articulation out of it.

That raised another question is how much would you have to cut a rig up to do this if Im wanting to leave a full bodied rig. with as factory of a look as possible. Seems like the gas tank would have to be relocated or install a cell and that's something I don't care to do.

It would seem like the front would be easier than the rear if you did indeed have to move the tank. I was thinking of a bracket/hoop on the outside of the frame/unibody.

Then again you might not run into that issue on an xj as I believe the tank sits far enough behind the axle but I think you def would on a tj...

Hack up and rebuild the inner fender. Set the towers into the uniframe to provide enough side to side through travel. Seal it all in

As far as shocks go i am blown away by the kings in nicks jeep. They are far more comfortable than any bilstien I've run. However at about 440 a corner you're about 200 off the price of an ORI strut and the you don't have to make room to package bumpstops or limiting straps.

Honestly id love to build something like what you are talking about. A low cog xj with well built high end suspension would be a blast both on and off road. I have to have my buggy first though before i sink anymore into a full body rig. A buggy is just the right tool for the kind of wheeling i do.

That raised another question is how much would you have to cut a rig up to do this if Im wanting to leave a full bodied rig. with as factory of a look as possible. Seems like the gas tank would have to be relocated or install a cell and that's something I don't care to do.

It would seem like the front would be easier than the rear if you did indeed have to move the tank. I was thinking of a bracket/hoop on the outside of the frame/unibody.

Then again you might not run into that issue on an xj as I believe the tank sits far enough behind the axle but I think you def would on a tj...

There's definitely not enough room to fit a C/O between the unibody and the tire. You'd have to recess it into the unibody and wheel well. I doubt the gas tank would be in the way.

The front would be pretty simple.

Hack up and rebuild the inner fender. Set the towers into the uniframe to provide enough side to side through travel. Seal it all in

As far as shocks go i am blown away by the kings in nicks jeep. They are far more comfortable than any bilstien I've run. However at about 440 a corner you're about 200 off the price of an ORI strut and the you don't have to make room to package bumpstops or limiting straps.

Honestly id love to build something like what you are talking about. A low cog xj with well built high end suspension would be a blast both on and off road. I have to have my buggy first though before i sink anymore into a full body rig. A buggy is just the right tool for the kind of wheeling i do.

Now you got me thinking! You're a bad influence! :D

I'm interested in this as well. I haven't seen any low COG, full body XJ builds, with coilovers, but I've been throwing the idea around with a buddy of mine.

Would like to see what you guys come up with.

Im pondering on this build again only instead of using coil overs using air shocks. Im wanting to use some old parts I have laying around, and of course budget is going to low. Im a TSL fan, so Im going to plan on running 34x10.5 TSL's. I want to keep this rig narrow with a low cog. I haven't crunched any numbers yet but just thinking, what size air shocks do u guys think I would need? Im thinking atleast 10"...

Im pondering on this build again only instead of using coil overs using air shocks. Im wanting to use some old parts I have laying around, and of course budget is going to low. Im a TSL fan, so Im going to plan on running 34x10.5 TSL's. I want to keep this rig narrow with a low cog. I haven't crunched any numbers yet but just thinking, what size air shocks do u guys think I would need? Im thinking atleast 10"...

Ten inch should be fine. Keep the uptravel short and do any kind of simple bumpstop you can. You won't have much uptravel to play with anyhow considering your tire size

Back