• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CO2 Tank for airing up

i just got rid of the ac and made my own oba setup. havnt looked back yet.. If it really gets thats hot up here in the north east ill chop the top.. :spin1:

I built my own tank setup using an aluminum tank and a fixed regulator. You can usually specify the psi rating on the fixed regulator. Most people go with 150psi, which is great for quickly filling tires. It's a little much for cheap air tools. Most like to run at 90psi tops. I ended up purchasing an inline adjustable regulator. Looking back, it would have cost me the same amount to get an adjustable off the get-go (see link below). I hardly use the inline regulator though. A 10lb tank or a 20lb tank will work great. If you don't offroad all that much, I suggest the 10lb tank (especially if you go with a steel tank). If you live far from the refill location, you may want to get the bigger tank.

The cheapest route is to use a steel tank from the welding shop, and swap out when the tank is empty (just like the propane tank for your grill). If you want to go with an aluminum tank, you will need to get it refilled. If you live near a major city, that shouldn't be a problem. The cheapest place to get a new AL tank is beveragefactory.com (see link).

You can get all of the couplings and hardware from harbor freight. I suggest that you avoid the cheap yellow coiled hoses. Try to find a hose with nylon braid in it. The cold CO2 (or hot compressor air) will caus the hose to burst. Harbor freight sells an orance braided 'framing hose' that isn't coiled. That has held up for me. A nice coiled 'durathane' hose from powertank will run you $40.

The regulators will freeze up. My fixed regulator starts to freeze up on my last tire. I don't have a problem getting them all filled quickly, much faster than a compressor setup. Note that cheap air tools will run your tank dry in no time. Nice air tools waste less air.

Aluminum Tanks:
http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/tanks/co2/C10.shtml

Regulators:
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/co2systems.htm

Harbor freight 'framing hose'
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93336

Click on thumbnail to see my setup (before my coiled hose blew):

I picked up a used 10lb Source CO2 with 150 psi fixed regulator, bracket and hose for $150. I was planning on using the Costco compressor and 2.5 gal tank before I stumbled across the CO2.

It works great for me, after filling 8 tires in a row after a day of wheeling, the tank end of the hose was getting frosty, but nothing too drastic, and this was at Winterfest in early March. I would estimate that with semi-conservative use I can make a 10lb tank last 6 months to a year depending on how much I wheel. I only use it for tires, no air tools yet. The local Airgas place charges $18/fill.

Well worth it versus OBA in my opinion, don't have to hear the compressor filling the tank, no worries about having power, etc. As long as you are proactive on watching the tank level, you shouldn't have to worry about running out. I weighed mine when it was empty and then after filling, and throw it on the scale every now and then to see where it is at.

IllianaXJ said:
I picked up a used 10lb Source CO2 with 150 psi fixed regulator, bracket and hose for $150. I was planning on using the Costco compressor and 2.5 gal tank before I stumbled across the CO2.

That is a good price! I spent over $220 after picking up the adjustable regulator.

The most cost effective bundle is from formattfab.com. Total cost is $130 and that's with an adjustable regulator. It isn't a high flow regulator like you would get with some offroad shops (powertank), but it works.

http://www.formattfab.com/product_co2_tank.htm

mgt said:
x2
every thing you need at once and they are good to deal with.
Love it! Great system.

gear3rv5.jpg

Chris @ GATR said:
Unless you need to regulate airflow, I see no need in having a pressure guage on a CO2 tank.
some people just might want to know when there tank is going to run out:dunno:

bj-666 said:
some people just might want to know when there tank is going to run out:dunno:

A CO2 tank maintains a consistent pressure just until it runs out. It won't tell you that the tank is half full. The guage is only good at telling you that the tank is empty. Personally, I don't need a guage to tell me that. The only good option is to weigh the tank. Pickup a spring scale from the fishin' store and keep it in the jeep. Measure the tank when full and when empty. That gives you your baseline.

Last edited:
Markos said:
A CO2 tank maintains a consistent pressure just until it runs out. It won't tell you that the tank is half full. The guage is only good at telling you that the tank is empty. Personally, I don't need a guage to tell me that. The only good option is to weigh the tank. Pickup a spring scale from the fishin' store and keep it in the jeep. Measure the tank when full and when empty. That gives you your baseline.

NOT true if the guage is on the High Side... the Low side maintains the Regulated Pressure, so it stays the same... the High side reflects the True pressure in the tank, and WILL indicate the amount left VS Full.... ~Ace~

Another option is a scuba tank, an aluminum 80 will run about $160, add a regulator off of ebay at around a hundred bucks, they are constant pressure delivery on the low side and adjustable (with tools). Set the low side pressure at 90 psi and you're good to go. The 80cf cylinder holds 3000 psi when full so be careful....

Mark

My friend asked about that. I wondered myself. How would you get them refilled? a store?

I don't really know If I want to carry around a huge scuba tank though..... I'm leaning towards the 20lb CO2 tanks...

Refills of air (breathing quality) run between four and eight dollars. If you don't want to carry an 80 CF tank, use a 60 or 40. The 60 is shorter and still fat, the 40 is smaller in diameter. I dive so that would be my preference. A steel 46 is probably the best. About 4" in dia, about 2 ft tall.

Back