• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Click on start, jumped solenoid and still get click. Time for new starter?

Most of the time you get one click and nothing, it's the brushes. They sometimes make poor contact and the starter needs a little spin to get the Bendix to work ( and solenoid to seat all the way). The wire to the brushes is pretty stiff and sometimes the brush springs aren't up to the job.
If you whack the side of the starter to try and get the brushes to seat, you have to do it judiciously so the internals don't fly apart, but hard enough to do some good. I've never damaged one hitting it with a hammer and have pounded on a bunch (for twenty years) because there was mud or oil under the brushes.
Less likely but possible is a coat of oil between the starter and the bell housing. The ground strap on the block. A sticky Bendix on the new starter (seems odd they are both doing the same thing).
On my 96 the dual connector at the solenoid was burnt and the solenoid wire wasn't making good contact, but as yours is clicking this is unlikely. The starter relay and the wire from the relay to the solenoid is kind of anemic for something with as high an amp draw as the solenoid. The wire is about 16 gage.

lol great.

I guess Ill use some pieces of wire tonight to try and bench test the OLD starter. If it works then I guess theres a problem sith something other than the starter. If it just clicks then I have two faulty starters?

actually there is a small art to testing one. A lot is involved with how fast/far the bendix kicks out, and how the motor sounds. How fast it retracts is important too

Hold onto that thing when you bench test it or it will land on your foot. Put the nuts on so you don't singe the threads.

New Battery, New starter, new ground wires, and No fucking start.

Swapped relays around, swapped fuses around, added grounds, nothing makes a difference.

Neutral start, parked no difference. I did see a spark at ther one of the terminals tonight trying it again with the new battery. But it only did it the first time I tried.

I dont know what else to do.

I have a spare NIB coil but I really dont want to freeze putting it in and then have a nervous breakdown when it doesn't start again. Is there any chance its the coil?

Last edited:
Plays For Jeeps said:

Swapped relays around, swapped fuses around, added grounds, nothing makes a difference.

Neutral start, parked no difference. I did see a spark at ther one of the terminals tonight trying it again with the new battery. But it only did it the first time I tried.

I have a spare NIB coil but I really dont want to freeze putting it in and then have a nervous breakdown when it doesn't start again. Is there any chance its the coil?

does the starter turn over the engine?

before, the problem was with the starter not turning over? correct?

now it turns over but no start? correct

if so, you need to check for spark and fuel

if you have no spark but have fuel, you need to trace back from the plugs to where power does not exist: plugs, cap, rotor, coil wire to distributor, coil, ignition control module, starter relay...

check to make sure the plugs arent fouled.

could be a bad cps if no spark and no fuel.

can you hear the fuel pump when you put key in and turn to on position before you crank it over?

bear with me, i have an 89.

do you have a volt meter?

you need to trace backwards from the solinoid for voltage. check voltage at the solinoid while try to start. if no power to solinoid, trace up the wire to the starter relay(silver box), if you have one, i have one on my 89. is there a fusible link in the wire to the stater solinoid?

would a bad NSS not allow it to crank?

Thanks for the tips guys. Ill get a multi meter tonight.

But would the NSS just crap out like that? I thought the NSS could be fooled by starting in neutral or drive and by playing with the shifter? Nothing is working.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appricate you guys taking the time to trouble shoot.

First,
-The jeep will not turn over at all. Just a single click when the key is turned.
-The terminals are torqued down and cleaned with a wire brush.
-I tried running a second ground right from the neg. terminal clipped to the new starter body with my jumper cables. Same result. Single click.

Secondly,
-I went to return the old starter for the core fee and I had the guy bench test it. The old starter passed but barely. The shaft was slow to extend and the gear was very worn down. In fact, the guy gave me the presitgeous award of being the nastiest starter hes seen in 6 years! yay.
-Clerk then suggested a problem with either the dist. or coil. Possibly water in the cap.

I know I once to connect the wire from the cap to the coil and the engine wouldnt turn over. Which I thought was werid. I did clean the terminal on the coil lastnight but it didnt help.

Maybe I should try swapping the coil with a spare I have.

Plays For Jeeps said:

You haven't mentioned new positive wire to starter or new post connector on positive terminal if it's molded type.
If it is the molded type connector at the battery, it's possible something is wrong in that that would be unseen. . The fact that after many tries once it did turn over a bit seems to indicate something is burning through electrically. You might even feel heat there if it is the problem after several attempts. You could even try cutting off a few inches and buying a good old lead replacement terminal for a buck to eliminate that possibilty.

It really sounds like a problem close to the battery since you did replace (not sub - main ground) so much else relative.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention. Original positive wire, but with a brand new clamp on it.

Tried again today after class.

Ran a wire from the negative terminal to the starter bolts mounting it to the block, same click.

Ran a wire from the negative terminal to the firewall ground strap, same click.

Ran a wire from the 12v terminal on the starter to the positive terminal on the battery, tried again and same click.

Ran a wire from the solenoid terminal, left the key in the ON position and touched the wire to the battery 12v. Sparks and click.

Then I jumped the jeep with my dads Van and she started. Turned off the jeep and tried without jumping. Same click. WTF!!!!!!

She drove home!!!!!!

Well sorta, I was so pissed to keep my mind off the jeep I studied all day for a medical terminology test tonight. I finished the test in 20 minutes and went outside and tore the battery cables apart. Found the problem. Something had chewed through the positive cable going to the 12v starter post. Not all the way through though, just enough to allow me to jump the terminals and get the click but not enough power to turn over the engine.

I ran a wire from the large starter terminal to the battery and then tried to start her. She fired right up.

Soooo then I go to drive her home and notice that half the pixels on my sirius radio display have been blown out and both speakers in the front doors have blown! And the check engine light is on. But maybe the light is on because of the incomplete starter circuit?

Thanks for all the help guys!

It definately sounds like starter issues. It's a quick easy fix. I did mine in the parking lot at work at 3:00 in the morning. That's where it decided to die. Did it by flashlight and It took less than 10 minutes. Bought starter at Advance.....pretty sure it was less than $100.00.

Back