• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clearance for a chevy 350

Mr.OverKill

NAXJA Forum User
ok i know i need a 3" lift to clear the engine but how do i guarentee that the axle does not hit when i am wheeling and i stuff the wheels, how long do i need the bump stops? by the way this is an 85 loredo and i am putting on a 5" rustys lift ( 4.5 coils and a 3/4 spacer )
if you all could amaze me with your vast knowledge it would be appirciated, that way i dont need to worry about thinking it out and being wrong because if it hits i can blame you guys ( LOL... LOL )

thanks, Troy

by how much are you getting contact from the trackbar?

JJacobs said:
Not what I wanted to hear. I'm planning on putting a 401 in the MJ. Oh well- it's only metal, take it out put it in.
The 401 and 350 are totally different blocks.

robz95xj said:
The 401 and 350 are totally different blocks.

Yeah, one's AMC and another's Chevy. Good one.

They are roughly similar in exterior dimension, with the AMC being an inch or two larger in every dimension.

my 350 is from an 88 fullsize jimmy and it fits my 89 XJ VERY well, like it is supposed to be there! IT WAS A LOT OF FREAKIN' WORK!!! :wierd:
the only thing that hit the oil pan was the upper bolt on the steering stabilizer, but that was at 3" lift, now I'm at 9" with fullsize axles and NOTHING hits :lecture:

i am thinking about a stand alone or fire wall mounted oil filter mount to get rid of the possibility of the u joint hitting it what do you guys ( and gals ) think???

I can tell you that with a LS1 350 going into an MJ.....be prepared to cut (a lot!) as the engine is too wide for the engine bay.

JJacobs said:
Not what I wanted to hear. I'm planning on putting a 401 in the MJ. Oh well- it's only metal, take it out put it in.

There's a ton of Chevy small block oil pans out there. I'm not a welder, but have had two modified for me and my old Nova (1965). Morosso is the brand I bought eventually and it was the best. You can't or shouldn't weld in places where oil will puddle and not drain from.
I want to do the same, SBC my XJ.

I am putting a Vortec 6.0 in my 88 limited and it lokks like it will be easier(??) to just go ahead sub-frame the firewall forward, so that the motor will fit easier and the HP D44 with radius arms will clear each other. ( Man my wife is gonna shoot me when she sees this thing again. Hopefully, Advance Adpaters still offers the mount kit for your 350, they laughed at me.

Back