• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Classic car parts "pop Quiz"

Bronzewyrm

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you who don't know me, I do classic car restorations for a living. a long time friend of my dads, and also good customer inquired to me about helping clean some old cars off of his property that he had collected over the last 3 decades:gag:
I had been out to his place a few times before so I knew what I was getting myself into (or so I thought)

PANO_20130915_141802_zps01d116ab.jpg

PANO_20130915_142823_zps7f4df5b6.jpg

there is nearly 300 cars on the property ranging in years from 40s to the mid 70s. I didn't know this at the time, but there are probably 15 cars. STUFFED with parts from all different kinds of makes, models, and years. I will be pulling all the loose parts out of the cars first. cleaning them up, identifying them, and inventory for sale. after the loose parts are gone. ill go through cars one at a time for good parts. possibly selling whole cars if there is enough of them left. ive been around classic and collector cars my whole life so most are easily identifiable. as you can imagine I get "parts fog" of the mind after days of all this on end. so when stumped, or find a cool weird part. ill post it here, see if I can suck up some of all your "non XJ" knowledge

this will be a daunting project for me. im really hoping to turn this into something bigger for the west coast guys in need of parts.

some prospective on the cars im unloading...

load #1, out of an opal station wagon.
IMG_20130918_192005_zpscb4cd7e1.jpg

load 2, out of a sunbeam station wagon
IMG_20130920_163901_zps7b06a47e.jpg

Holly HubCaps Batman! this is about 1/2 of what I have pulled out so far.
IMG_20130920_171451_zps4afdc8d2.jpg

So, stumped for the day on....

mercury horn button (what year, and model?)
IMG_20130919_163949_zps789ecf31.jpg

Grill, I have no clue off the top of my head...
IMG_20130920_173328_zps0cfed581.jpg

The last pic of the grill could be from a 1958 Oldsmobile super 88.

how about me and Hawkeye fly up there, help you categorize the yard, then we each get to pick a car to bring home? :gee:

nice find man, that's my dream playground.

Definitely a chore, but lots of money to be had. If you have some old Falcon parts, I have a friend who is interested.

For me, it more about getting the parts back out to people that want/ need them. I do restorations for a living, I know first hand what a quality part can do for the quality of a restoration. if you have that part when you need it.
The parts have become so overwhelming that I put myself on timeout... ill be dragging whole cars out starting in about 2 hrs. I got out there yesterday and my portable garage had ben ripped up by the wind, and thrown and bent to shambles. the parts under it made it out ok, but now im rethinking logistics for doing this over the winter months...

car one should be a 61 buick electra 4dr, followed 65 cady eldarado 4dr, and a few 60's ford pickups...

the caps were 66 chevy II. we thought for suse they belonged to a motorhome from the 60's. oh how we were wrong. still cant figure out the markers, the PN leads me to a 1970, but that's all I can find...

thanks again for all the help guys, ill keep updating as I go, this is a ton of work, yet im getting more enjoyment out of this than a typical day at the office.

Bronze.

awesome score! there is a similar farm up in Vermont that popped up a couple years ago on Ebay for 1 million bux. listed as a parts collection with a free farm.
good luck in your picking, i love the "can you name this part" photos.

Subscribed. This would be eutopia for me....... if only it could pay well to do it full time!

This is just too huge for one guy to take on. I can only imagine the time to be spent just putting together the ads to get rid of the small parts..... I sure wish this were in colorado, I'd volunteer a few days to pitch in some help.

Looking forward to this thread as it progresses!

That Oldsmobile 4 speed console center section is going to make someone very happy I'm sure.

Last edited:
1967 Cougar horn button

IMG_20130919_163949_zps789ecf31.jpg

As far as those pointy amber lights/bezels, I'm figuring them to be a side marker light since they're reflective and the metal isn't pitted - turn signal lenses aren't reflective up front and get pitted.

The end with the curve outward is what's throwing me......

I'd be very interested in purchasing license plates too. Not concerned over particular years, but would love and assortment of States.

And if you find any decent spinner hubcaps of any kind other than 60's Mustang........ I'm your huckleberry........ I have a wall art project that needs more spinners........ :D

Last edited:
the 61 electra. it took 4 hrs of winching other crap out of the way, but I got it our of this spot, spun, and ready for extraction. the tires are flat, and its stuck in park ATM... PITA

IMG_20130923_121512_zpsf204497d.jpg

IMG_20130923_121525_zps1df8a345.jpg

a cool plate I found. the owner is a plate collector so Ill have to keep my eye on a select few. any "prize" plates I should keep an eye out for?
IMG_20130921_155010_zps2054dd60.jpg

Bronze.

I think you should invite some friends over there, get a few of those '80's Lincolns running and have an impromptu demo derby.......... that's all they're good for anyway..........

......... Just sayin'. :D

Those side marker lights have me stumped too. Side markers weren't required until '68 and weren't required to be reflective until '70.

They look like they belong along the lower front of a front fender, just ahead of the wheel well. That outward curved part seems like it'd follow the flare of the fender into stainless wheel well trim. :dunno:

The chunky design of the stainless makes me think Ford/Mercury LTD/Lincoln kind of vehicle...... but I can't find anything that looks remotely like that.

Last edited:
Back