• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 8 3/4"

xjnation - the ramchargers/traildusters came out in 74, the old pop-top ones. I'm 100% positive that they were all full width and came with 9 1/4s out back, with the occasional rumor of a factory 3/4 ton d60 or something. Check out www.ramchargercentral.com if you want some real information, some very knowledgable guys over there. Back when i had my 85 ram 4x4 sittin on 33s they were a huge help keeping it alive.

MoparManiac said:
xjnation - the ramchargers/traildusters came out in 74, the old pop-top ones. I'm 100% positive that they were all full width and came with 9 1/4s out back, with the occasional rumor of a factory 3/4 ton d60 or something. Check out www.ramchargercentral.com if you want some real information, some very knowledgable guys over there. Back when i had my 85 ram 4x4 sittin on 33s they were a huge help keeping it alive.

I think they were all the same basic platform, just the latter one had a solidly attatched roof.

Shaggy's XJ said:
For anyone looking for aftermarket parts this is a great guy to deal with....

http://members.aol.com/doctordiff/

Just bought a custom powder powder coated 8.75 for my 69 Dart from him with his disk brake setup, aftermarket axles, ect.

nice guy maybe but his prices are about 25% to 40% higher than Ive found elsewhere, correction on 8 3.4 stuff on custom dana 60 his price is killer!

Last edited:
Randy_66 said:
Man, I don't know, didn't say which center section, could be a 489 or a 741, the 741 small pinion has little aftermarket support. 489 is good, or you should be able to easily find a 742 in an early B body in a junkyard. The B body is closer to the right width though, by a little.

Not a bad deal, but I'm a cheap SOB

it is a 741 and has more aftermarket than you would think. all the 3 centers have a ton of support in gearing etc. and all thake the same carrier bearings

both b body and E body's are within 1/2" of stock width. Im planning on building it with full detroit and 4:56 gears, also there are axle braces available....remember this axle has been on the drag strip and dirt ovals for over 50 years

Ok, I thought I had heard a while back that maybe Randy's ring and pinion or somebody was going to start making gears, there used to be no options besides factory. For our application it should work fine, still a nice upgrade from the 8.25 I think. I am used to thinking in terms of musclecars, back when I last got to mess with mine nobody wanted the 741 case, no aftermarket gears, weaker, but I am getting to be a dinosaur. The lockers and stuff swap pretty much straight across the board on all three, so you are all set there.

I was laughing pretty hard reading about the guys looking for the dana 60 from a E or B body mopar in the junkyard, they have probably been largely picked over, mainly hemi and six pack 4 spd cars, worth their weight in gold to the restoration guys. I know of several 8.75 rears being used in 10 second bracket cars, I doubt one could ever be broken behind a 4.0, even with the small pinion. I think you will be fine.

The rear drums you got with it should be nice too. Might have to play with the wheel cylinder size for proportioning. If you want to look around, a lot of C body (New Yorker etc) and late B body cars (think Cordoba) used the 11 finned rear drums, usually on a 9.25 rear but they fit. Some of the backing plates have a slightly different offset. I used Cordoba stuff on mine. If I remember right the bolt pattern on the backing plate is the same as the 8.25, so the grind a little on the backing plate and use d35 rear discs trick may work, I want to look into that when I get my 8.75 up here.

Good Luck!

Randy_66 said:
Ok, I thought I had heard a while back that maybe Randy's ring and pinion or somebody was going to start making gears, there used to be no options besides factory. For our application it should work fine, still a nice upgrade from the 8.25 I think. I am used to thinking in terms of musclecars, back when I last got to mess with mine nobody wanted the 741 case, no aftermarket gears, weaker, but I am getting to be a dinosaur. The lockers and stuff swap pretty much straight across the board on all three, so you are all set there.

I was laughing pretty hard reading about the guys looking for the dana 60 from a E or B body mopar in the junkyard, they have probably been largely picked over, mainly hemi and six pack 4 spd cars, worth their weight in gold to the restoration guys. I know of several 8.75 rears being used in 10 second bracket cars, I doubt one could ever be broken behind a 4.0, even with the small pinion. I think you will be fine.

The rear drums you got with it should be nice too. Might have to play with the wheel cylinder size for proportioning. If you want to look around, a lot of C body (New Yorker etc) and late B body cars (think Cordoba) used the 11 finned rear drums, usually on a 9.25 rear but they fit. Some of the backing plates have a slightly different offset. I used Cordoba stuff on mine. If I remember right the bolt pattern on the backing plate is the same as the 8.25, so the grind a little on the backing plate and use d35 rear discs trick may work, I want to look into that when I get my 8.75 up here.

Good Luck!

I have a 489 case coming in too........picked up for 40.00 shipped...presicion gear, richmond gear, moser, all have wide variety of gears available and axle spool combos........since the 8.75 uses the same ends and dana 60's then 1/2 ton chevy rotors and calipers will work with aftermarker bolt on bracket...Oh yeah and I think I hae found 2 of the dana 60's from e bodycars........in negotiations now.........one local and one about 90 miles away......

xjnation said:
I have a 489 case coming in too........picked up for 40.00 shipped...presicion gear, richmond gear, moser, all have wide variety of gears available and axle spool combos........since the 8.75 uses the same ends and dana 60's then 1/2 ton chevy rotors and calipers will work with aftermarker bolt on bracket...Oh yeah and I think I hae found 2 of the dana 60's from e bodycars........in negotiations now.........one local and one about 90 miles away......
You got a very good deal on the 489 housing. I would recommend getting the Ratech? crush sleeve eliminator too, Summit carries it, or they used to.

Plenty of gears. This was Randy's R&P list:
875_mopar.jpg

The 741 case doesn't look to good on lower gears though.

Brian, do me a favor and measure the axle centerline down to the centerline of the pinion. Just curious on how low it is.

Randy_66 said:
You got a very good deal on the 489 housing. I would recommend getting the Ratech? crush sleeve eliminator too, Summit carries it, or they used to.

picked up on ebay already :laugh3:

Brian, do me a favor and measure the axle centerline down to the centerline of the pinion. Just curious on how low it is.

will do, full set of specs on tuesday

Lincoln said:
Plenty of gears. This was Randy's R&P list:

measure the axle centerline down to the centerline of the pinion. Just curious on how low it is.[/QUOTE]

Took a quick look at a 489 center I have, and it's around an 1.25". I didn't take the time to get an exact measurement.

Shaggy's XJ said:
Took a quick look at a 489 center I have, and it's around an 1.25". I didn't take the time to get an exact measurement.

That's not to bad. Thanks.

still gathering parts.......its gonna go into my sons sidekick project......have gotten, disc brake adapters, caliperrs. discs, working on the gears and locker now.........even have housing braces.........I will kepp everyone posted

Here is a picture of my brothers (offroadman73) 8-3/4 in action. --------Kyle

These are the testing pictures as my brother just buttoned it up. We got done that day and were itching to climb something so we found some dirt hills at a local spot--------------

Here is a good shot driving down the road hehe=-=====

IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

Here she is climbing, sorry not a good pic of the axle but just to show you it works out quite nicely and looks sexy underneath the jeep for sure.

IMG_0471.jpg

and because I like pics here is one that looks cool----
IMG_0472.jpg

Back