• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

choosing the right muffler???

I'm in the same boat here. The cheap muffler on my Jeep now rattles like crazy, a baffle must have fallen off. I dont want loud, my Nissan is loud and I hate dealing with cops, but I want the Jeep to have a nice tone to it. Is the Flowmaster 50 series SUV muffler the best bet for me too?

Anyone have any input of Vortec? A muffler shop around here sells um.

Flowmaster's DeltaFlow 50 has a good mellow tone to it. p/n 942451

I heard a Magnaflow the other day on a 2000 XJ for sale. It wasen't verry loud at all but it sounded nicer than stock.

I was quoted C$200 for muffler and install (tax in) for a Magnaflow.

Some parts stores quoted me as low as C$60 for a magnaflow muffler, and some muffler shops quoted me as low as C$50 for install.

I was hoping for something louder but not as loud as the Super 40 Flowmaster (which I was told by some parts stores is not suited for the 4.0L).

Dinomax Ultra Flow Welded, I heard stories of rusting or splitting.

Muffler prices ranged from C$60 to C$200 (for SS) Flowmasters were C$120.

Max

MaxRogers said:
I heard a Magnaflow the other day on a 2000 XJ for sale. It wasen't verry loud at all but it sounded nicer than stock.

I was quoted C$200 for muffler and install (tax in) for a Magnaflow.

Some parts stores quoted me as low as C$60 for a magnaflow muffler, and some muffler shops quoted me as low as C$50 for install.

I was hoping for something louder but not as loud as the Super 40 Flowmaster (which I was told by some parts stores is not suited for the 4.0L).

Dinomax Ultra Flow Welded, I heard stories of rusting or splitting.

Muffler prices ranged from C$60 to C$200 (for SS) Flowmasters were C$120.

Max

I have read allot of posts from guys that think the 40 sounds good or worked well on the xj, but when i spoke to the guys at flowmaster they said for the XJ i should get a 50 series. So thats what i got. If you want a more mild sound try the flowmaster 50 delta series. It has noise cancellation properties and supposedly it more muted inside the cabin, but out side still sounds like a flowmaster. I havent heard on it person to say how good it sounds.

So I bought my Flowmaster 50 at JB's automotive, It's going on tomorow at 3pm.

What i need to know now is how to make and install the air bake cookie sheat heat sheild. There was a warning pamphlet in the box about exsesive heat, and even recomended a heat sheild.

Any photos would be helpfull too, as I'm a more visual learner.

Max

I could use that info too. If I'm on the highway for a long time and then sit in traffic, my series 50 bakes the carpet in my back seats. ;)

Have a Magnaflow in my TJ and just put one on the wifes XJ. A little more rumble then stock, better flow and it sounds nice with out being LOUD. I love it on both vehicles.

-Matt

I've got a magnaflow 2.5" inlet dual 2.5" out with a borla header, stroker, and random tech high flow cat. It was VERY loud to start with and the droning at 2k was not good. I added a magnaflow glasspack in between the cat and the muffler. now that the exhaust system has broken in most of the drone is gone and while still louder than some folks like it's comfortable to me.

The first inspection place I took it to in MA still wouldn't pass me saying the exhaust was too loud. Second place I went to didn't blink an eye.

Matthew

Re: heat shield.

My wife says "air bake" cookie sheets is just a brand name for a cookie sheet. What type of cookie sheet works best, and wouldn't a broiler pan work better?

Does anyone have pics of their heat shield?

How would one go about attaching it to the botem of the Jeep, JB Weld or sheat meatal screws.

Max

The DynoMax Super turbo is pretty quiet compared to the Flowmaster 40 and 50. I have run FlowMaster 40's on all of my other vehicles when I liked the loud rumble. The XJ serves double duty as the back up kids hauler and I back into the driveway under the bedroom every morning, so only a little rumblely is what I wanted. i have had a couple of flowmaster take a hit and tear, but they were older units (about 5 and 6yrs old).

The Dynomax cat back kit's fit and finish is great though. At only $130 shipped to my door through summit, I can't complain.

For a REALLY bullet proof muffler, check out SpinTech. These bad boys are tough:
http://www.spintechmufflers.com/spintech/spintechindex.asp

Just got a Magnaflow installed this morning on my xj. I have had a Flowmaster in the past and liked the sound at idle and when I got on the gas, but on the highway it did have the tendancy to really drone on. I had heard that the magnaflow would not drone as much.

Just drove it home about an hour ago and took the round about way to see how it would sound in different circumstances. It is more mello at idle than the Flowmaster was but when getting on the throtle it sounded pretty close to me. At highway speed it did not seem to drone much at all.

Hope this helps some.

everybody runs a flowmaster, magnaflow, glass pack, etc. but no one has even mentioned a hooker aerochamber muffler. i'm very curious to know how it sounds on a 4.0 considering they sound awesome on v-8 f-bodies. is anyone at all running one or even heard one on a 4.0?

Ghetto2315 said:
Get the FM Super 40... it sounds excellent and you can get them cheap brand new from Ebay seller "Performancepeddler"

Listen to my FM Super 40 and turn the volume up
http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=MY-JEEP-EXHAUST-CLIP
What are the specs on the rest of your system like pipe size, headers etc?
Sounded quite unique. Do you have any problems with drone or is it loud at cruise?

Gojeep said:
What are the specs on the rest of your system like pipe size, headers etc?
Sounded quite unique. Do you have any problems with drone or is it loud at cruise?

A Jet-Hot Ceramic Coated Gale Banks Header, using the stock downpipe, followed by a 2.5" Gibson SS Catback... I then switched out the Gibson Muffler with a Flowmaster Super 40

I have the Stainless Banks header followed by the stock downpipe to a 2.5" hi-flow cat to a 40 series delta flow with a turn down. My system is loud. Maybe it's the fact its been the same, with exception of the header, for the last 4 years and I'm just getting tired of it. It just seems to be much louder sitting at drivethrus lately. I am thinking of trying the Spintech Sportsman Street XL since it is the quietest other than the truck/rv one. I am just curious how it sounds. I have heard the Pro-Street behind the 4.0L and it is ice but too loud for my taste.

-Mike

Back