• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee flares

I remounted my flares with ss screws. Since I was changing the mounting system, I also cut out over 1" of sheet metal. I could'a cut out more but wanted to keep the plastic wheel well liner and didn't want to lose the welds in the sheet metal.

Here's a link to a write up..... :repair:
Link to stock flare remount dn

I have the bushwackers on my 01 XJ and they were the biggest pain in the a$$ to install!! The directions are horrible and the customer service line doesn't help any either. There are several other options out there such as the mentioned Rusty's flares, glassworks fiberglass fenders, or you can do somethin else.
I got this idea from Dirk at DPG off-road, simply pull off all 4 flares, trim your fenders with a jig saw or the tool of your choice. Follow the "pop-out" in the fenders, effectively removing all bolt holes. Then match the curve in the fender to your bumper caps using a sharp razor blade.(this works best after they are out in the hot sun for a while) Then get 1/2" black edge molding and install on curve of fender to protect your tires.
Checkout www.dpgoffroad.com -they have a few XJ's with this done.

So let me get this straight, When you run a smaller backspacing the tires stick out more which in turn cause the fender flares to pop off more when offroading? Reason I'm asking is because I'm looking for wheels but can't decide on 4 1/4 or 3 3/4. which will give less rubbing?

BORA 18T said:
When you run a smaller backspacing the tires stick out more which in turn cause the fender flares to pop off more when offroading?
I've dragged mine off before on terrain. But I think tire rubbing is caused by a combination of rim backspacing, tire size, and amount of flex. I'm on 31x10.5 with 3.5" of lift and popped one off backing over an 8" curb. (Didn't know it till something started flopping around as I drove down the highway. Rather embarassing....lol.)
IMO my XJ would pop flares with 31s regardless of backspace.

Last edited:
if you can get away with it re: the law and your weather...flareless is the way to go. If you have to have flares for reasons above, I'd go with TJ flares. They look better than bushwackers, IMO and you have a bit of leway in how you install them, ie front and rears, rears in the front as well etc..

situations like this is why flares are no good for me...when rocks want to occupy the same space as a flare...theres a lof of this sort of tight stuff around here.

noflare.jpg

BORA 18T said:
So let me get this straight, When you run a smaller backspacing the tires stick out more which in turn cause the fender flares to pop off more when offroading? Reason I'm asking is because I'm looking for wheels but can't decide on 4 1/4 or 3 3/4. which will give less rubbing?

Yes that is right. The less the backspacing the more the wheel sticks out so the bigger the arc it travels in so you need more room. Less backspacing also puts more leverage on the bearing which will wear them quicker as well. Go the 4 1/4" wheels.

Sterling90XJ said:
Yeah, the flares on my '00 come loose from the metal brackets too when wheeling. Stupid design. I liked the ones on my '90 better. I too couldn't see Rough 01's pics, and would like to. E-mail: [email protected]

Thinking of going with 4 rear TJ flares instead.

Gary - your not from Alaska, I know for a fact, what you think Arctic is better than AKX???? Go TJ flares you puss.....LOL When did you PCS to FE??? Now get down here to UT and lets go....

1109556019_all_clean_done.jpg

BTW, TJ flares still look really cool especially when you add the turn signal and wire it in, you can get em through jeepsareus.com for like 20$ a pair.

Last edited:
coderedxj said:
Does anyone else have trouble keeping their flares on? I have a 99 Cherokee Classic and I have now pulled off two of them since I bought it. The front passenger side flare popped half-way off on a trail last night, and I was wondering what I should do with them? I would like to take them off and get some aftermarket flares, but I don't want to spend the money. It alos looks stupid with them off, so what do I do? I also would like to know where to get a good price on some front sway bar quick discos for my XJ with 2 or 3 inches of lift.
Had the same problem with mine and here is the solution.
Absolutely works
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39306&highlight=flares

tsgolo said:
I remounted my flares with ss screws. Since I was changing the mounting system, I also cut out over 1" of sheet metal. I could'a cut out more but wanted to keep the plastic wheel well liner and didn't want to lose the welds in the sheet metal.

Here's a link to a write up..... :repair:
Link to stock flare remount dn

Hmmm... kinda like your own version of pocket flares.

Badcop said:
Gary - your not from Alaska, I know for a fact, what you think Arctic is better than AKX???? Go TJ flares you puss.....LOL When did you PCS to FE??? Now get down here to UT and lets go....

1109556019_all_clean_done.jpg

BTW, TJ flares still look really cool especially when you add the turn signal and wire it in, you can get em through jeepsareus.com for like 20$ a pair.

I like the way your TJ flares turned out. I just got ahold of some front ones. I was wondering if you had any pictures on how much body you cut and how you mounted the flares. Also, is my XJ going to look dumb with just the new front flares? I couldn't get ahold of any rear ones.

holeshot said:
Anyone have pics of a Flare-Less Chaerokee. Would like to see what it looks like with no flares. Thanks

Heh, just wait till I get back from Moab this year. Last year, we went on the Hell's Revenge trail and took probably the worst line up a not-very-difficult ledge. We got the tire about 3-4 feet in the air, but when we got back down, we were missing our passengers side front fender flare. Apparently, the XJ was flexing so much that the 33' tire got all the way up inside the wheel well (7+ inches of lift, by the way) and completely tore at the fender. My dad was also driving the Cherokee down the highway and apparently the drivers side rear fender flew off. I'm looking into some Bushwacker fender flares though...

When I get my hands on a scanner, I'll post some pics of the Hell's Revenge event up.

Back