• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee doesn't like to start!?

GIJill

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 87 Cherokee and sometimes when I go to start it up it just will not start up at all. At first it will not even try starting up and if I leave it for a bit it will finally start up and most of the time when that happens it runs really crappy at first and then after a bit of warming up it finally runs ok. I'm extremly confused what would cause this problom. Any ideas out there?

Do your backup light's still function? If not the startup issue may be as easy as your NSS. As for running rough I'm not sure. Being an 87 I'm sure it has alot of miles on it, and needs some TLC. But for the starting issue I would checkout the NSS first. If you think that is the problem try cleaning it and relube it (takes no time) before you purchas one from a dealer save yourself alot of money that way. Here is a sight that will help you go through the steps if your not familiar with the NSS http://www.jeepin.com/features/nss/index.asp. As I said it takes really no time at all to do this, so if this isn't the issue then you know that the NSS has already been maintenanced. Total time it took me, 45 min with a set of car ramps :)

Let me clarify I didn't desribe it well enough the first time. By turning the key the starter turns over the engine reliably, but the engine doesn't fire sometimes, even after cranking for 20 seconds. Then if I wait and then crank it for 10 to 15 seconds it will finally start to fire weakly and eventually run, but it will run poorly for the first few minutes until I've driven it. Once it's started it drives like normal.

Is this after running it a while then shutting it down and restarting after about 5 minutes? Mine does the same thing, every once in a while. I am tracking it down and once I figure it out, I will let you know! :dunno:

Same here...Once it's warmed up and then parked for a few minutes..Only way it'll go is if once it starts to ignite I gas the hell out of it, rev it a few times then I'm good to go...Dunno...Hopefully when I swap the stroker in, I'll make it dissapear

Gil "Hell with it" Bullycatz

Yeah sounds more like what mine does. It doesn't really have a set amount of time that I've figured out when it does it. It's pretty speratic. =P Just wish I could fix whatever it is. Makes me not want to drive it very far.

GIJill said:
Yeah sounds more like what mine does. It doesn't really have a set amount of time that I've figured out when it does it. It's pretty speratic. =P Just wish I could fix whatever it is. Makes me not want to drive it very far.
Any smoke after it fires? If so, what color?
Glenn

In the mornings now for the past two days it's been starting up, but very poorly =/ I wonder if whatever is causing it is now getting worse. It also smells like gas fumes. :dunno:

Back