• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee budget turbo build thread

something just came to mind thanks to a corvette turbo designed as a remote mount. it sits way back on the exhaust pipes. since we dont have alot of room under our hoods it might be something to think about.

a RMT was Bryson's original idea (well it was his second idea). He actually promised to have the kits (the tubing) ready Fall 08. In the end, I'm glad he didn't... I rather not have a hot turbo under my Jeep... it sounds like a recipe for disaster (for a daily/winter driver).

Let's just hope Bryson makes this project happen.... this is the 3rd time he promised us something.... I'm not trying to be an ass Bryson, I'm trying to keep the fire lit under your feet.

a RMT was Bryson's original idea (well it was his second idea). He actually promised to have the kits (the tubing) ready Fall 08. In the end, I'm glad he didn't... I rather not have a hot turbo under my Jeep... it sounds like a recipe for disaster (for a daily/winter driver).

Let's just hope Bryson makes this project happen.... this is the 3rd time he promised us something.... I'm not trying to be an ass Bryson, I'm trying to keep the fire lit under your feet.

well it was just an idea, but im happy in too far behind the power curve lol

Little update. Here is the bracket I made for the turbo. Simple but strong. The angle is 1/4 and is mounted by the 2 bolts that hold the fuel line bracket.
cherokeeturbo002.jpg

36 lbs injectors I bought from www.southbayfuelinjectors.com They are bosch style and are one for one direct fit. $140.99 shipped
cherokeeturbo0010.jpg

Overall shot of the aluminum charge pipe I welded the blow off valve into. Its a simple RFL knock off from ebay. The blow off valve was $24.94 shipped from Ebay. The tubing was left over from another turbo kit. The couplers are from www.siliconeintakes.com they were $44.97 shipped.

cherokeeturbo001.jpg

Just need to finish the downpipe, tap the oil pan, run the oil lines and install the gauges. Then its finish work like heat shielding and wrapping the pipes.

I still kinda have my eye on a turbo stroker for my MJ. But since it is 2wd, I am really thinking about a remote mount. Not having the driveshaft and transfer case frees um a bunch of room, however that could also work well for a normal engine bay mounted turbo design....

I like where this is going and I am watching closely.

Hey CSaddict, could you give a full price sheet of your build? It'd be great to show how easy/cheap it is to build a decent setup if you simply spend some time getting the right parts. :) I'd be doing the same low cost minded build, but my rig will be going on 24hr+ road trips hauling my CRX. I'd be screwed if the turbo started blowing oil, so I have no problem spending a little more $ to get that peice of mind.

Yeah, once its all done and working. This truck only leaves the yard to go to the trail and back home. If it shits the bed, I could care less.

Last edited:
I just came in from mocking up the downpipe. I tried to compress my driver's side tire as much as possible to make sure the suspension clears. The down pipe is almost done. Its the biggest pain in the ass so far.

Up pipe and downpipe all welded and wrapped up tight. 2 O2 bungs. One for the stocker and one for my wideband.

cherokeeturbo.jpg

DEI sells it. I got it from the shop I do fab work for. It was left over from the last turbo kit I built for them.

DEI sells it. I got it from the shop I do fab work for. It was left over from the last turbo kit I built for them.

Would you want to sell me a turbo kit too assuming yours turns out well?? I am not to far from you.

Good luck!!

Back