• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check it out almost done, pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
PhatXJ said:
Embarrassment why? Because you don't like it? Sorry dude, but thats a bullshit thing to say to someone.

Ok, maybe I was a little hard headed about this Jeep. I didn't realize it was a 16 year old. It's a great start.

In my weak defense, I thought it was one of those stereo car show street Jeeps that have little use offroad. Which, in my opinion, is the last thing we need in the XJ world. People see a chrome sprung F350 at the car show with TVs in the headrests and a draglink that looks like a hockey stick & think "Wow, that's the most awesome 4x4 I've ever seen." It really erks me that more of these "street only stereo rigs" would be built.

Sorry that I was a little on the harsh side, I hadn't had my Twinky yet. :D

great start NIK, and yes I could send "good start for a 16 year old" though Im not much ahead of you in age, I can give you my opinions on the following, and I would they they are respectable opinons

it looks like you are in the right track goin for a bilt rig. but these are the faults I see.

first... Find a way to loose those 3" blocks have in the rear. either that or get an antiwrap bar of some sort.

410974_5_full.jpg

2nd. 12" of lift a bit too high, I will tell you riht off the bat those Drop brackets with 12" of lift will ride like a brick. (that is if this is your daily driver)
410974_3.jpg

3nd... first rock you hit your gonna land on your side. think of a way to lower your COG, rather than just lifting it. the money that you spend putty all that crap behind your seat:rolleyes: couldof gone to better use. but then agian I know what its like being a teenager:D
410974_1_full.jpg

your off to a good start, especially with those full weigth 60s, I like that. tho the red covers are a bit too bling.
keep up the good work;)

[EDIT] BTW: your next best thing to do is add a cage, for your safety and other with you. we dont like to see what would happen to people if you roll down a hill with no cage and. I tell you these, your risks of rolling over are VERY high. so think smart.

vintagespeed said:
Ok, maybe I was a little hard headed about this Jeep. I didn't realize it was a 16 year old. It's a great start.

In my weak defense, I thought it was one of those stereo car show street Jeeps that have little use offroad. Which, in my opinion, is the last thing we need in the XJ world. People see a chrome sprung F350 at the car show with TVs in the headrests and a draglink that looks like a hockey stick & think "Wow, that's the most awesome 4x4 I've ever seen." It really erks me that more of these "street only stereo rigs" would be built.

Sorry that I was a little on the harsh side, I hadn't had my Twinky yet. :D

:cheers:

Nik,
Look great man. Nice job, be WAY proud of what you have done. Sounds like you know what you need to do yet, so let me ask....whats with the cables with hooks hanging on the rear bumper? I know that with all you done, thet CANNOT be recovery points.....so whats up?

Rev

I built the stereo system by myself over a years time in a elctronic/ woodshop class at my school. So yeah I'm serious about the sytem. I have the pics to show it. About the tow hooks I hope they stay there if need its half inch tobing so I think it'll handle it but I wouldnt hook it up to those anyways, I'd just hook it up to the Tow hitch.

Led it helped it quite a bit but I think I'm gonna try to find a set of Hi steerknuckles to make it the best possible.

Hey I never like RF to start with, way over rated. I like the crap behid my seat, it sounds good enough for me:) The cables are my ebrake lines from the rear end. I have pics where those a re hooked up, These are quite old so A lot has been done since. I tried to pop the tires as far out as i could to get the most width possible for stability. I'm taking a welding class at a college as a vocational program from high school an will fab up my own long arm system in the future. And riding like a brick, I agree with. It is better than stiff 200,000 mile suspension sytem I had on there originally. Hell I got it for 600 bucks wasn't too bad.

MTX amps blow rockfords out of the ground. MTX rumbles.

Yeah it was all paid for by construction mostly. We have a skid steer so it racked up the bucks per hour. Don't have a dad and my mom didn't want to drop a penny into it so its all been paid by me.:)

Nice work Nik. I think we can all tell that you've put in quite a bit of time, effort, and money, so be proud of it.
You'll always find people who don't agree with you about something, be it politics, religion, Judas Priest vs. Iron Maiden, or Jeeps in this matter, but hey, that's life.
You built it for you, so screw 'em.

Calvin
NAXJA #365

What a bunch of wussies.

What we need here is some tough love.

Nik has apparently put in quite a bit of money and effort into building his Jeep, but it's all about bling. It's fine to be impressed, but call it what it is, a street Jeep. I for one, don't want to encourage the portrayal of our sport by joy riding, monster truck, neon glow ring, noise polluting, "drive over your Honda" punk kids. This rig is all about "Look at my stuff. Ain't I big. Ain't I loud.". This post should be on the "street and performance" forum.

4" blocks; no ladder bar?
drop brackets; no braces?
"flexes like a mother"; say what?
chrome exhaust tip; no muffler?
12" lift; tiki-man camber gage?
3"x3/8", no wait, 1/2" tube bumpers; can you say HEAVY
can you say - Which is it, Nik 3/8" or 1/2"?
custom cut, one-piece steel rims; huh?
Rise and shine neighbors, I'm plugging in the Kid Rock

Are we going to have a ceremony to hang the "nutz" on the rear bumper?

Jesus....sometimes some of you guys can be real d!cks. He is 16, and should be damn proud of what he has accomplished so far, and on his own money no less. How many of you guys that are pitching crap are rolling on d60's??? I agree there are a few things I would have done different, but he will learn this in time. Next time take your negative crap to JU. :mad:

Mall cruiser? Not quite......

I think Nik's on the right track for building a decent wheeling rig, but calling it a "mall cruiser" may not be the correct term. I would call it a "mall cruiser" if it still had the D30/D35 combo and running those 40's. The fact that he's running 60's lends him a bit more credibility. He appears to have done a little research into what works and what doesn't. He certainly could still benefit from hanging out here on NAXJA and continue to pick up ideas and advice from everyone -- so let's keep the POSITIVE criticism coming!

Nik, you have a neat rig there and I for one really respect the fact that you're workin' hard to pay for your modifications! Especially now that I understand that your father isn't in the picture. I hope that you'll always keep your hard work ethic and continue to always be respectful as you have been here in this thread.

Most of us here at NAXJA are here to help our fellow XJ enthusiast in any way we can! Please try to look at ANY criticism you get from here for what it's worth, but don't blow any of it off completely. The comments made about your lift design, lift blocks, overall vehicle center of gravity, tow points, etc.. are very valid ones and have been offered to you by some very experienced 'wheelers - so they're intention is to do what they can to help keep you from making the same mistakes they've made or seen made by others.

Keep on 'wrenchin' on that rig Nik, and keep workin' hard! Just don't let me catch you blastin' that stereo while 'wheelin on the trails!!! Do what you can to help maintain a responsible and respectable appearance for the rest of us 'wheelers!

Troy

Last edited:
I'm with Troy. The only way you can learn is by doing it yourself. I think Nik is off to a good start. The bling will fade as the rock rash increases. Nik, you will find what works for you on the trail. Don't be afraid to ask questions. These guys arent always this cranky. There is a lot of good information here on NAXJA.

Neil

Hey thanks guys. I want to get a set of big offroad's packs to get rid of the blocks in the back. I know that creates a lot of wrap. When I get the new pics of the rear you'll see that there is almost 4 inch cut on the top and a load more cut on the back. Ill get some flexing ones too to show it isn't just a fn' mall cruiser. Yeah I know I put more into looks than I should in a few spots but the body is bashed to shit. Different colored doors, rust, its not all for looks. And god, some of u guys need to take a joke. I was kidding about the tiki guage, my god. The tip I got for free from a friend who owned a diesel dodge, and yah I dont have the money for flowmaster. And the wall thickness on those tubes is right in between 3/8 and a half, so it might be 7/16, you know what it is thick and I got it from a junkyard down the road, so a 6 dollar can of paint, free tube, and a few bolts with some welding I got bumpers.(That work for me) Being locked in the back with 4.88's and no locker up front with 4.88's it does damn fine on the trail for now, ok. Maybe I'll get to go to moab after college, thats 4 years of work I can do. By the way. The wheels had to be custom made and cut from NTW thats what the guys told me over the phone, and it took 3 weeks to get them. So I put down what they told me they did. Anyways I was just shown what I have built in the last 9 months. And thanks for the few pointers you guys gave me to do. Sorry for pissing the others off. And no I am not a disgrace to NAXJA.

JJ13 said:
I agree there are a few things I would have done different, but he will learn this in time. Next time take your negative crap to JU. :mad:

:rolleyes: Christ, here we go again. FYI, this negativity wouldn't last 1 minute there. I promise you. When it comes to negativity toward newbie Jeepers, JU has the least.

OK guys, there is no reason to be negative towards JU, or any other Jeep forum. We are all in this together. Everyplace is different, with different groups of people.

That being said, NAXJA is not going to tolerate negative posts about other forums. It serves no purpose.

Hey Nik I love the Jeep and wish I could have all the components you have in mine. I still have a long ways to get out of mall cruiser stage myself. Its tough being only 20 and in college, so i can imagine trying to do it as a 16 year old. I started building mine slowly when I was 16 myself. I am sorry some guys on here are like this, but I guess they cannot remember being 16 and starting thier first offroad hobbie. You have a great platform so stick with it. I wanna join Naxja, but not If I am gonna get flamed like I was On POR. my $99.99 worth:D ---Kyle

MaXJohnson said:
What a bunch of wussies.

What we need here is some tough love.

Nik has apparently put in quite a bit of money and effort into building his Jeep, but it's all about bling. It's fine to be impressed, but call it what it is, a street Jeep. I for one, don't want to encourage the portrayal of our sport by joy riding, monster truck, neon glow ring, noise polluting, "drive over your Honda" punk kids. This rig is all about "Look at my stuff. Ain't I big. Ain't I loud.". This post should be on the "street and performance" forum.

4" blocks; no ladder bar?
drop brackets; no braces?
"flexes like a mother"; say what?
chrome exhaust tip; no muffler?
12" lift; tiki-man camber gage?
3"x3/8", no wait, 1/2" tube bumpers; can you say HEAVY
can you say - Which is it, Nik 3/8" or 1/2"?
custom cut, one-piece steel rims; huh?
Rise and shine neighbors, I'm plugging in the Kid Rock

Are we going to have a ceremony to hang the "nutz" on the rear bumper?

Doesn't it suck to be old?

Edit, forgot to add this: ;)

Last edited:
Hey offroadman, Thanks man. Yeah I know it has a little street queen look to it but in a couple more months I hope to be able to say I have a somewhat of an offroad machine. Thanks a bunch man.

Dave pretty sick video. Hope to be doing that soon once the roll cage goes in.

One question. I cant remember the company that make that exoskeleton cage for cherokee for around 1500 bucks. I was woundering if it was worth it or not. Thinking I might get that this winter or try to build my own. I like the fact it is on the outside though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back