• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheapest exhaust?

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I know this has been asked lots here before, but wanted your latest opinions and latest products.

I am looking for the most affordable complete exhaust replacement.

A few quick facts: A few years ago I replaced my motor mounts and put on the APN header. I have 97 4dr xj. I dont want it to be loud, prefer stock quite.... but if it was throatty when I got on it that would be cool, but for sure DONT want it to be annoying while running down the road (I have 4.56 gears and only 32 tires). This is my daily driver... its my only driver!

It would be nice to pick up a few extra ponies, but only if it didn't cost much more $.

Thanks in advance for your opinions! I truly appreciate it.

I have the Rusty's flowmaster setup. I liked the way it sounded personally. Changing the exhaust with the new motor though. The rusty's is a catback.

Agree with the APN header.

CAT: http://www.performance-curve.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1152 It is also available in 2.5" version.

Magna flow muffler is good.

Go to your local muffler shops. Tell them you want new pipe from the header back. Tell them you want 2.25" from the header to the CAT, and then 2.5" from the CAT the rest of the way.

Tell them you will provide the new CAT, and then see if they can match the on-line (w/shipping) price of the muffler you want.

Odds are you will find a couple shops in your area that will bend new pipe and install it for what a mail-order CAT back kit will run when you figure in the shipping.

Don't waste money on a "hi-flow cat".
All modern cats are "hi flow". having said that though,you will gain a little by going with a hi-flow cat. You'll gain a little because you'll have less weight in the vehicle from the money that you removed from your wallet to buy the hi-flow cat ;)

:)
Fred

Thanks for all the input so far! I am suprised how cheap this is. I just assumed it would be 700-800! Keep the input coming!

What about the "J" pipe. Can I buy one without the dent, or do I have to have a shop bend it?

I bought the Maremont downpipe from Autozone- crinkle bends, no crimp, and it's self-clearancing on a stock height XJ- the front DS nearly tore it open. No more contact since putting in Up Country springs, but in hindsight I'd have just had the local shop make a new one.

Until a month or two ago, I was running the Dynomax catback. I liked it. Currently running a shorter turbo muffler. It's okay, but resonates a bit when cold.

headers to y-pipe to cat direct to 2''x2'' pipe direct to thrush muffler direct to exhuast down pipe. Half the exhaust with more clearence. You'll never have to worry about yanking off your exhuast system and wraping it around your rear axle and puncturing your gas tank... :yelclap:

Don't waste money on a "hi-flow cat".
All modern cats are "hi flow". having said that though,you will gain a little by going with a hi-flow cat. You'll gain a little because you'll have less weight in the vehicle from the money that you removed from your wallet to buy the hi-flow cat ;)

Fred

That may be true but buying a decent magnaflow one will be better than buying some off the wall chinese crap!

Also, be aware, that most shops will not replace the cat with either theirs or yours unless your cat is not working. It's illegal to do so.

Fred
Find me where it says you can get your cat replaced unless its "bad" and I will paypal you a Dollar! :D

headers to y-pipe to cat direct to 2''x2'' pipe direct to thrush muffler direct to exhuast down pipe. Half the exhaust with more clearence. You'll never have to worry about yanking off your exhuast system and wraping it around your rear axle and puncturing your gas tank... :yelclap:

that sounds wicked awesome! I could use that for sure if I just had the fab skillz.

Yeah but you will have to worry about carbon monoxide if you have rusty floors! :doh: At least you still include your cat unlike some other people!

One last item, add in a stainless steel flex pipe section between the downpipe and the CAT, this will take stress of the header and it will last a lot longer.

That may be true but buying a decent magnaflow one will be better than buying some off the wall chinese crap!

Find me where it says you can get your cat replaced unless its "bad" and I will paypal you a Dollar! :D

You can PayPal me at:

[email protected]

http://www.epa.gov/OMS/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

This is nothing new. This has been Federal (EPA) law for a long, long time and shops that I know of have been popped for violating it.

Y'all should really check the legality of messing with exhaust systems, headers, and all that other stuff. Much of it is illegal.

Fred

You can PayPal me at:

[email protected]

http://www.epa.gov/OMS/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

This is nothing new. This has been Federal (EPA) law for a long, long time and shops that I know of have been popped for violating it.

Y'all should really check the legality of messing with exhaust systems, headers, and all that other stuff. Much of it is illegal.

Fred

This makes it easy. :D

Generally, there are only 3 situations when you can install an aftermarket converter.
They are:
(1) if the converter is missing from the vehicle when brought in for exhaust​
system repair;

that sounds wicked awesome! I could use that for sure if I just had the fab skillz.
actually it took me no time at all with no fab skills.
last year when i had my 87 xj waggy i yanked off my exhuast on a trail run and wraped it around my d44 and punctured my gas tank. I fixed the tank with quiksteel and the next day had my buddy weld a 2inch section of 2in. pipe between my cat and my new thrush, then weld on a trimmed down pipe to the end.
With parts it came out to like $50 + a 24pack of bud light.

Back