• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap Cherokee Build

Have a write up showing the late model mirrors fitted to a early model doors on my site. www.go.jeep-xj.info
To get it all to work with the late model wiring harness and ECU etc, I take it you are swapping over the dash as well then? Wont work other wise. There is also a difference in the firewall to do with clearance for the heater ducting on the later dash I think it was.
My site also shows the fitting of the later model front clip also. Are you going to swap the guards over as well so they match up with the grille surround? Just thought they were pretty trashed on the rolled one and think the early XJ were still alright weren't they? You could just reshape the corner of the surround to match the early tops of the guards which are not rounded like the later model. It is only fiberglass so easy to do.

Last edited:
Gojeep said:
Have a write up showing the late model mirrors fitted to a early model doors on my site. www.go.jeep-xj.info
To get it all to work with the late model wiring harness and ECU etc, I take it you are swapping over the dash as well then? Wont work other wise. There is also a difference in the firewall to do with clearance for the heater ducting on the later dash I think it was.
My site also shows the fitting of the later model front clip also. Are you going to swap the guards over as well so they match up with the grille surround? Just thought they were pretty trashed on the rolled one and think the early XJ were still alright weren't they? You could just reshape the corner of the surround to match the early tops of the guards which are not rounded like the later model. It is only fiberglass so easy to do.

I like the site man. Some good info. I was thinking about going with a rear airbag setup for the same reason. (later down the road)

As for the dash yes I will be swapping it over. And the firewall will have alot of modifications, dash mounts, steering column mounts, ducting, etc . . .

As for the grille I'll be swapping it out and leaving the early model fenders on. The grille surround has a crack and I'll be working on it anyways.

The mirrors seem like they will be pretty easy to handle. Especially with the wiring harness swap.

Thanks for the info man.

Show us how it all goes for you. Might do just the later model grille and surround swap myself one day without the guards as well.

Ok, time for an overdue update. I've been out of town on vacation so not too much progress. Sorry no pictures. (i'm tired) As of today the 99 is almost completly stripped down. It still has a few items left on it, also the entire drivetrain/powerplant is sitting in it.

The 91 has been stripped down completely and is now in the process of being put back together. After pulling it apart I found that the carpet was rusting the floor boards. It wasn't bad but it was everywhere. I took a wire wheel to the floor board and nocked of any rust. I then applied a rust convertor to the entire floorboard. It looks alot better now and I'll feel alot better about it not rusting away in a few years. The interior's wiring harness is fully installed with exception of the doors and tail lights. The wires are routed thru the doors but I haven't converted all the connectors yet. The tail lights, hatch, rear speakers are going to get tied into the new harness. The carpet is in the rear, along with the rear seat. The engine compartment is almost ready for the transplant. I've cleaned and painted about 2/3 of the engine bay. The old AW4 and NP231 have been dropped. It's good to finally see something come back together. I hope to have the engine swap done this coming weekend, as well as the dash. Then the seat mounts will follow. I figure that can be done after it gets running.

There is still alot to do.
I have to fabricate some seat mount brackets to work for the front seat. Swap the motor, tranny, transfer case, and all applicable wiring. Install the climate control unit and heater core, steering wheel mounts, dash mounts, carpet, steering wheel, interior peices, new headliner, and dash. I've been looking and the door panels could prove to be a PITA. I'm sure there is more I just don't remember right now.

coastie124 said:
PIC_0126-1.jpg

Man that thing must float like a Cadillac.

Well it seems working two jobs and going to school has taken all my time this past year. In the past couple weeks I have swapped everything over. Everything except the A/C components, exhaust, interior trim, and emision is installed. The motor cranks but I haven't tried to start her yet. I'm getting a "no bus" on the odometer, don't know what that will be yet. Several possibilities. Still have a few wiring jobs left and some fabrication on the dash mounts. I picked up some used BFG MT 33's from a buddy for $150. They will have to work for now. All cabin controls and levers are swapped. Seats are swapped. Door panels are sitting on the doors but not finished yet. All the interior trim is sitting in the cargo area waiting for me to get the wiring finished. Brakes all work, except parking brake have to go get the bracket and cables off the 99 which is now at the junkyard. I traded it for a power steering pump resevoir (busted during swap) and a radiator. Still alot of work left but I hope to have it running this weekend if not this week sometime.

I believe I could have finished this in a couple months had I had the time and money. I would say right now I have a total of $1500 and a bit of time wrapped up in this. So far the only big hold up in the project (besides time) has been the dash area. Though it wasn't too envolved. I've never claimed to know much about Jeeps or any auto for that matter. I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade and things are a little different. I've learned alot so far and I'm still learning everyday. So I guess it's been worth it. I suggest you not undertake this project. I guess when your broke you do what you have to. If I didn't have a working Jeep this whole time I'm sure I would have moved quicker. :lecture: Hasta

got her running today. Lot of little things left to do. Also still need to install the exhaust and driveshafts. But hey it's running. Video will follow shortly.

Last edited:
I guess I'll be the first to offer this.....

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:looney::looney::looney:

haha, I kinda like the no exhaust sound..... I don't know why...

Started installing door panels today. It is pretty easy just alot of drilling and fabbing up actuator bars for the door lever and lock button. Still a little tweaking to do there. Front doors are a little tricky for the switch mount and modifying the shape of the door (BFH). Also some wire splicing left. I took it for another test drive today. It needs some new bushing in the front end. I can grab the track bar and move it in the upper bushing. Also need new swaybar bushings. I've actually got the sway bar removed right now. Found that the lower right swaybar mount is bent inward, making removal of the quick disconnect a chore. I pulled the exhaust off a donor cherokee tonight and hope to have it installed this week sometime. I'm selling my house in two weeks so I have alot going on. Hope to have this thing road worthy in the next week or two.

Back