• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cheap Ball Joint press for dana 30

Talyn said:
I always rent the OTC at advanced or autozone. never found a need for the adapters though.

The adapters make it easier when the joint is stuck. The axle C is ground at an angle. All the HF presses the guys around here have bent have come from using them without the adapters. You're pushing at an angle vs straight on the ball joint without them.

markw said:
The adapters make it easier when the joint is stuck. The axle C is ground at an angle. All the HF presses the guys around here have bent have come from using them without the adapters. You're pushing at an angle vs straight on the ball joint without them.

Beg to differ - while I may not have been pushing "dead straight", I was pushing straight into the thing. Of that, I am certain.

Bent the press frame? Certainly - when I checked it out afterwards, the "flying" end (without the screw ram) had deflected a full half-inch - that's a lot for a cast beam 1" x 2" in section. I know I'm strong but damn.

I salvaged the rest of it, threw the frame in the scrap bin, and I'll sort out and make a better receiving sleeve later. I was in a hurry when I did the last one, made it from a very large iron pipe coupling, and haven't seen it since we moved...

Ball joint replacement is now on my job list. Has anyone done this recently that can recommend a press and appropriate receiver?

Have you not read the thread you just posted in? OTC part numbers where giving fit the good parts, atleast for the adapters and OTC makes the press to. I have never bent mine and use it for everything.

I read it, but a few years have passed and there are other kits available including the ADT 8699 so was wondering if there have been any tool improvements or whether the one's recommended in the thread are still the best choice.

I've bent a bunch of those harbor freight presses. The ones from autozone are better but I slightly tweaked one replacing extremely rusted u joints on my spare shafts. Once the press is slightly out of wack it never works right again and just gets worse quick. I would go to autozone or the like and rent their OEM brand, idk thats what they call it.

Back