• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

caster help please!!

nwjeeper91

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to set the caster on my jeep. It's got RockKrawler 8 inch coils and acos adjusted about 2 inches. I'm running 37's and the stock D30 HP. I read the Go-Jeep procedure, but I don't have a square I have a magnetic angle finder. I adjusted it so the angle from the bolts on the diff read 87.5*, this is 2.5* tilted forward(pinion higher). I can't for the life of me figure out how to transfer the procedure from Go-Jeep to use my angle finder(its just a big round magnetic protractor.) I have no springs in it right now, and the angle on top of the coil mount reads -2* and on top of the knuckle it reads -5*. So if someone can please help, or let me know of another way to check it(besides Go-Jeep) I would be eternally thankful. By the way, it's long arm(radius style) with an OAB track bar mount. Thanks,

BILL

Why dont use just put the angle finder next to the diff cover on the flat area with the indentation in it, for the diff spreader, and read from there? See how many degrees it is off 90 and then add 9* to it. It should be around -3* so adding 9* will give you 6* postive caster. Might have to run a little less than that with 8" of lift though.

Since you seem to be the go to guy for alignment info, when I put the angle finder on the diff bolts(I haven't tried the spreader mount yet) the 90* mark is down and the 0* marks are at left and right. I can tell the axle is rolled forward because the diff cover is not 90*. It reads 87.5*(looking at it from the passenger side, right side). Does this sound like the basis for what you say to do. I can put up pics of what I am talking about. And I just kinda set it before, measured the arms, set the pinion and called it good. It rode great until the springs settled.

BILL

That is what I would expect it to read and that is showing -2.5*( just subtract 90* ). So add +9* and that gives you a caster reading of 6.5*. That is stock caster but at 8" of height I would think you will get vibes fron the front shaft and you should have it around 5 to 5.5* which will read 86 to 86.5* on the angle finder.

Back